The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Question on a trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
John Clarkson
View Profile
Special user
Santa Barbara, CA
749 Posts

Profile of John Clarkson
Quote:
On 2003-12-28 16:29, dreidy wrote:
Do we know if he really did use stooges for his show? That's almost bordering on accusing him of dishonesty. ...It would be like a TV magician making things appear by stopping the cameras, having them brought in and then restarting, not magic - just straight out lying.

Irritating as some people find Blaine (and I haven't seen any of his stuff on television here) I would at least credit him with enough integrity to do his tricks for real, at least until proven otherwise.

David.
Well, David, it's pretty clear that Mr. Blaine's televised specials rely on some very creative editing. For one example, just check out his supposed Balducci Levitation..... 8 feet off the ground. Right!

Of course, it could be argued that using camera tricks and editing is just one more tool in the magician's arsenal and no more lacks integrity than the use of stranger cards or confederates. Somehow, though, that argument just doesn't wash with me. Blaine doesn't entertain me, he offends me. Maybe I'm getting old.

Smile
John D. Clarkson, S.O.B. (Sacred Omphaloskeptic Brotherhood)
Cozener

"There is nothing more important to a magician than keeping secrets. Probably because so many of them are Gay."
—Peggy, from King of the Hill (Sleight of Hank)
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2003-12-31 08:46, John Clarkson wrote:
Quote:
On 2003-12-28 16:29, dreidy wrote:
Do we know if he really did use stooges for his show? That's almost bordering on accusing him of dishonesty. ...It would be like a TV magician making things appear by stopping the cameras, having them brought in and then restarting, not magic - just straight out lying.

Irritating as some people find Blaine (and I haven't seen any of his stuff on television here) I would at least credit him with enough integrity to do his tricks for real, at least until proven otherwise.

David.
Well, David, it's pretty clear that Mr. Blaine's televised specials rely on some very creative editing. For one example, just check out his supposed Balducci Levitation..... 8 feet off the ground. Right!

Of course, it could be argued that using camera tricks and editing is just one more tool in the magician's arsenal and no more lacks integrity than the use of stranger cards or confederates. Somehow, though, that argument just doesn't wash with me. Blaine doesn't entertain me, he offends me. Maybe I'm getting old.

Smile

John,

I agree with you. A fundamental distinction of being a magical entertainer, to me, has always been to admit, "this is a trick" because I am only here to entertain you. To pretend that is magician skill when it is a special effect is dishonest. To recognize it as theatrical presentation is reasonable, but not magic. My background includes Ph.D. courses in TV and film production. I'm unimpressed with the confusion of FX with a magician's skills. It is hardly a credible live performance and becomes just another artificially contrived and stored image for television filler between commercials. It is more closely related to the Dukes of Hazard or a cartoon. It may entertain someone but it is not magic. The actor is not a magician any more than James Bond can fly. He is just an actor used within the stored image. To my mind, this brand of entertainment willfully contaminates the integrity of professional magic. It is to magic what break dancing is to ballet. I must be getting too old too. The affiliation is an embarrassing over generalization to me.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
This may sound odd but I don't agree. I think Blaine did magic a world of good-ask many young magicians-he's the reason they got involved.

I'll stick to my point that most magicians are cheesed-off with him because he did something that nobody thought of and became famous for exactly that. After all, think that he used Paul Harris for judgement that says it all.

The point is, he changed magic (there was close-up, silk, rope, card, coin etc and then came true street magic (strolling whatever?)) forever.

A lot of people were inspired by his shows and I'm not talking for myself (I like more close-up, sleight-of-hand), but think of others.

Personally, I think Paul Harris, John Carney, Michael Ammar, Darwin Ortiz, Dai Vernon etc. rule, but that's my opinion.
Andre
ajcombri@telkomsa.net
Rolly
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Rolly
I also agree that Mr.Blaine is as valid a magician as anyone else, in fact, I own his DVD, and find it very inspiring to watch the reactions he gets from people when he does tricks that I own and use every single day.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Roll,

You need to heed the good advice of others on this post, and learn some basic skills. Think of it as going through magic boot camp, if you will. There is a TON of magic knowledge that you could aquire, and nobody ever learns it all.

You might want to consider getting the Mark Wilson Course in magic. This will ground you in the fundamentals up through an intermediate level.

I also highly recomend that you learn all you can about the HISTORY of magic. Others may disagree, but I believe this is indispensable for any one beginning in magic. You have to know about your rich heritage, about the great magicians of the past,and what they accomplished. This will give you a good respect for this ancient and distinguished art, and it will light a fire in you and inspire you.

A good magician should not only know about the magic he will specialize in, but should also have a working knowledge of the other aspects of magic. That is, if you plan to do close up magic, you should still be familiar with stage magic, and the great illusions that are in that field. I gaurantee that if you find a book on stage illusions, you will not want to put it down.

Also, remember, it may take time, and you may go through many stages until you discover just exactly who you are, and what your most comfortable persona is, and you may change many times along the way. You may want to try many different types and venues of magic until you find your best fit. It's a growing process my magical friend, and you are just a wee one! I can gaurantee that you are not ready to go out on the streets and get yourself creamed! You need to perform the magic tricks you like for your family and friends. They will be your toughest and hopefully, your best critics.

Finally, when just starting out, do not try to master every trick in the world, just get a hand full, and practice them until you can do them in your sleep, backwards, standing on your head. In other words, you gotta know your stuff, and you gotta know it intimately. If you need advice on which tricks to learn, a million guys on this forum will bend over backwards to help you decide. Just ask! If purchasing from a dealer, go to the review section called the good the bad and the garbage. This will help you to avoid being burned in your wallet.

Gotta run, Daff

PS welcome to the Café!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Question on a trick (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL