The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Click it or Ticket. Why Seatbelts? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-10-30 15:03, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-10-30 14:54, rockwall wrote:
"Then we get into the cost-benefit analysis. At $1,800 a bus, outfitting the 440,000 school buses in the U.S. would cost nearly $800 million — and when the annual death toll is only 11, how much lower can you go, realistically?"

Wow. A cost-benefit analysis. What a radical idea! I wonder if anyone ever thought of doing one of those for most of the AGW proposals put forth.

I thought we couldn't put a price on children's lives.

You're forgetting that 2013 isn't an election year.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
"Then we get into the cost-benefit analysis. At $1,800 a bus, outfitting the 440,000 school buses in the U.S. would cost nearly $800 million — and when the annual death toll is only 11, how much lower can you go, realistically?"

Wow. A cost-benefit analysis. What a radical idea! I wonder if anyone ever thought of doing one of those for most of the AGW proposals put forth.

Yes. And everyone who reads the reports is free to check the analyses.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2013-10-30 15:03, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:

If it saves one life, it will be worth it.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Car makers have had to provide headrests for years, ostensibly to protect from whiplash. Some commercial buses also have them. Last time I looked into a schoolbus, there were no headrests.

Huh??????
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
"In a collision, high seat backs prevent kids from being thrown great distances, and impact-absorbing materials soften the blow".

I rode my Daughter's bus when I was a chaperone for a class outing. There was no "impact-absorbing materials" to slam into (unless you consider the child's head to be impact-absorbing. There was nothing but cold steel in front of each kid. Also, the steel bar on the seat in front of each child would hit the average child right across the forehead.

440,000 School buses on the road? For how long each day? Maybe 1 hour but only on school day's. Compare this to how many cars are on the road 24/7. Of course the number of wrecks and injury/death is going to be much higher for cars and much lower for buses. I don't buy into the stats.

$800 million to outfit all of the buses? Government spent almost that much on the "Obama Care" website. We have the money if we really want it but Government has much more important priorities and I am afraid that Child safety is low on that list (even though the Government claims otherwise).

How much is the Life of 11 children worth? Not $800 million for sure. What is a Child's Life Worth? My guess is not a penny to the power's to be, unless that Child can be exploited in a political campaign or some money making scheme.

Maybe velcro seats on the bus would be cost effective and the parents can pay for the velcro clothing their Child would wear.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2013-10-30 16:46, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:

OK, I'll bite. I know there are certain AGW proposals that you support. Pick one. Show me the report that supports it and the cost/benefit analysis at the end.
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Quote:

Sure we can. They do it in Mexico all the time. And India, and...
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-10-31 09:55, rockwall wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

OK, I'll bite. I know there are certain AGW proposals that you support. Pick one. Show me the report that supports it and the cost/benefit analysis at the end.

Time to look for yourself. I'll believe it when I see it. Try google scholar and search under, say, "Can and Trade". You'll find dozens. Or maybe you could search for "Climate change cost benefit analysis". Heck you could even read The Skeptical Environmentalist for some light analysis.

And if you're really looking for the easy way out, look at any of the first four IPCC reports for cost benefit analysis. You won't find it in the new report as that section won't be released until 2014.

Happy reading.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2013-10-31 15:02, Ekuth wrote:
Quote:

Sure we can. They do it in Mexico all the time. And India, and...

...and the United States.

You just can't SAY it, if you're running for office.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2013-10-31 15:53, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-10-31 09:55, rockwall wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Time to look for yourself. I'll believe it when I see it. Try google scholar and search under, say, "Can and Trade". You'll find dozens. Or maybe you could search for "Climate change cost benefit analysis". Heck you could even read The Skeptical Environmentalist for some light analysis.

And if you're really looking for the easy way out, look at any of the first four IPCC reports for cost benefit analysis. You won't find it in the new report as that section won't be released until 2014.

Happy reading.

Well, I didn't want to make any assumptions about which AGW proposals you support. I never would have guessed 'Can and Trade'. I think my grandma did that one when she would can a bunch of peaches and trade them for something else. I suppose the planting of the fruit trees was a big benefit towards decreasing global warming.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Oh my, autocorrect again. Boy am I wrong about climate change. Or maybe you could try "Cap and trade". Boy am I embarrassed.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Magnus-

Are you really surprised that he jumped on a typo in order to provide a sarcastic answer rather than responding to the substance of your post?
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
It would be interesting to know if seat belts would have prevent those 11 deaths each year. It's certainly possible that unfortunately, some fatalities would occur even if the children were belted in.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2013-10-31 16:46, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Oh my, autocorrect again. Boy am I wrong about climate change. Or maybe you could try "Cap and trade". Boy am I embarrassed.

I just felt it appropriate to respond to snark with snark.
ldl1017
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of ldl1017
A school bus can carry up to 82 children in it. I drive a 78 passenger school bus every day. The only seats that have seat belts are the two front seats...one on each side of the bus. I've only seen them used for car seats. I think some of the reasoning is if we were to get into an accident and had to evacuate the bus quickly, a seat belt on all the kids could possibly mean a matter of life and death. Some kids would panic and not be able to unlatch the belt quickly. This is just my opinion and my thoughts. If I remember, I'll ask my company about it and post their answer here.
“I am, as I've said, merely competent. But in an age of incompetence, that makes me extraordinary.”
Billy Joel
ldl1017
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of ldl1017
A school bus can carry up to 82 children in it. I drive a 78 passenger school bus every day. The only seats that have seat belts are the two front seats...one on each side of the bus. I've only seen them used for car seats. I think some of the reasoning is if we were to get into an accident and had to evacuate the bus quickly, a seat belt on all the kids could possibly mean a matter of life and death. Some kids would panic and not be able to unlatch the belt quickly. This is just my opinion and my thoughts. If I remember, I'll ask my company about it and post their answer here.
“I am, as I've said, merely competent. But in an age of incompetence, that makes me extraordinary.”
Billy Joel
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Click it or Ticket. Why Seatbelts? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL