The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Coins in Flight by Harry Allen (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I couldn't find this on the Café, so I am adding it:

A brass coin box resembling a large brass nut is removed from a velvet bag. In the center of the nut is a hole the spectator can visually see through. Three half-dollars are placed in the coin box. The half dollars are ungimmicked and may be marked if desired. The coin box with halves is openly placed on the table. An ungimmicked cup, which may be borrowed, is tipped forward and the coin box and halves are removed and placed on the velvet bag.

The magician states he can cause the half-dollars to travel from point A (THE BAG) to point B (UNDER THE CUP). At this point the spectator can still see the halves in the coin box on the velvet bag. The magician rubs the top of the coin box with his fingers. The half dollars INSTANTLY VANISH! With empty hands, the magician lifts the cup and seen sitting there are the very same half-dollars. Spectator can lift up the cup him or her self! All props may be handed out for examination.

With this trick you receive a real solid brass coin box and a velvet bag.

This product is available as a quarter or a half-dollar.

Choose the one you want on the right side of this page.

Link:

http://www.daytonamagic.com/coins-in-fli......324.html

Any reviews?
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Also, I would like it if someone could comment on how they have used it or ideas on how to use it.

I have this, watched the DVD, played with it a bit, and I feel like I'm missing something. Not that it came incomplete, just that I'M missing something.

The DVD had one little, very limited effect. It just seems that, hopefully, there is a bit (or a lot) more that could be done with this little device.

The effect must be done on a black cloth surface, preferrably black velvet. It comes with a small black velvet bag, but the DVD was taught on a larger black close-up pad and the routine as taught would not work on the black velvet bag provided. There wasn't a routine for the bag. In the DVD, Harry states that this is one of his favorite coin effects for close-up or walk-around. However, no walk-around effect was explained. I'm wondering if he has ever done this in walk-around, given there was NO walk-around explanation.

Also, I'm trying to figure out how this is a good alternative to, say, the okito box.

Before I relegate this one to the back drawer, perhaps someone can comment or provide some ideas.

Thanks in advance for your help.

KJ
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I have "Who's Coin Box" by Paul Diamond which seems similar. One thing that he points out is that you don't have to do it on just the one surface. With a little arts and crafts work you can do it on any surface including your hand. (Find a magazine picture that has flesh tone and cut out a small circle, or purchase the appropriate paint).

Also, I don't see why the routine shown in the demo video couldn't be done on the bag supplied. Maybe you could even ask a spectator to hold out their hand and place the bag on their palm.

The video supplied really doesn't touch on point like these?
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Mike,

Thanks. No, the video was very dissapointing. The routine he showed wouldn't work well on the bag because his routine is a bit like coins across where he has both hands on the close-up mat, several inches apart. Obviously, that wouldn't work on the bag. The problem with doing this in spectators hands is they really can't handle the gimmick.

I'm not familiar with Who's coin box, but I looked it up on the internet, and it looks like it comes with a lid. This effect uses a similar box, but no lid. Also, the "gimmicked" coin is glued to the box.

Let me ask you a few questions:

- Do you use your "who's coin box" much?
- If so, do you feel it is an improvement over a regular okito box?
- Also, if you use it, can you give me an idea of what sort of routines you do? (I have quite a bit of experience, so I don't need any instructions, just give me an idea of what you do with it.)

Thanks.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Now I'm confused. If the gimmicked coin is glued to the box how did he put his finger through the hole at the end?

The who's coin box uses a post coin. It comes with a lid but you don't need it for many of the routines and in fact you could do exactly what Harry does in the demo for his box and at the end you would steal off the post coin to hand out the box, which is what I thought Harry did in the video.

I only have it as a collectors item. I'd prefer to do coins across with bare hands and four ordinary half dollars myself. I don't even use an Okito box.

(I'm a big believer in not giving away method in the open forum. I don't think what we are discussing will make much sense to any one who doesn't have the prop)
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
The effect comes with two boxes. One has the coin glued to the box. The other one is designed a bit different. It doesn't have an indentation in the bottom for a coin. It is meant merely to switch in. However, it makes more sense to steal away the coin. I'm going to try to pry the coin out.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
The trailer doesn't resemble the product description.

"A brass coin box resembling a large brass nut is removed from a velvet bag. In the center of the nut is a hole the spectator can visually see through. Three half-dollars are placed in the coin box. The half dollars are ungimmicked and may be marked if desired. The coin box with halves is openly placed on the table. An ungimmicked cup, which may be borrowed, is tipped forward and the coin box and halves are removed and placed on the velvet bag.
The magician states he can cause the half-dollars to travel from point A (THE BAG) to point B (UNDER THE CUP). At this point the spectator can still see the halves in the coin box on the velvet bag. The magician rubs the top of the coin box with his fingers. The half dollars INSTANTLY VANISH! With empty hands, the magician lifts the cup and seen sitting there are the very same half-dollars. Spectator can lift up the cup him or her self!"

<

DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1976 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
I have the quarter version of this from many years ago. It comes in a red velvet bag and the crass container is hexagonal.

Interesting to see it has been re released in this form.

Todd
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Zombie,

Thank you for sharing. The DVD that comes with it has a presentation section that is 34 seconds long and an explanation that is less than two minutes long with a 40 second throwaway "bonus". No where is there any presentation or explanation of using the bag or a cup or anything resembling a walk-around routine.

My bad, really. After reviewing the trailer, I see that his handling on the trailer is terrible. He might as well have just poured the coins into his other hand and then pretend they are not there. I had the opportunity to watch Paul Diamond demonstrate with his routine using a similar set of props called "Who's Coin Box". Wow! it was like night and day. Paul showed how to do the move that Harry tried to do, and it was amazing. Paul explained how to do the move with misdirection that makes it invisible. He also explained a number of moves that were just amazing! Silly me for thinking Harry's explanation DVD was going to get better than the trailer.

In addition, the prop is not made correctly, IMO. I just purchased the following set:
http://themagicgadgetsite.com/index1.html?3665.html&1
As you can see from the description, it comes with a box AND lid (coins in flight, no lid), and post coins (coins in flight, nope). Also, IMO, the gimmick is not supposed to have a coin glued to it. If the coin is not glued, it can be stolen away and the gimmick can be inspected. Also, without the coin glued, it allows you to customize your props to use on any surface, not just a black velvet surface... just in case... I don't know... you might want to do it STROLLING ON SOMEONE'S HAND?

Unfortunately, I don't think the new set comes with any instruction. Fortunately, I picked up a few moves from watching the old Paul Diamond video.

The Paul Diamond video described a bit of history of how the okito box was invented (by accident) and how it evolved to the Who's Coin Box he developed, using post coins and the evolution of moves. Obviously, Paul Diamond took what was done before, improved it, expanded upon it, and worked it into something really good. The Coins in Flight effect is a MAJOR step backward.

KJ
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I was in contact with Harry Allen at Daytona Magic, and he was so gratious in taking care of me with this. Daytona Magic is such a class act. I really appreciate when a magic dealer is there for their clients.
KJ
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Coins in Flight by Harry Allen (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL