The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Red Socks win World Series (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
... and if I'm not mistaken, they used to be called the Boston Red Stockings.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Yes. They changed the name to Sox in 1908. I understand that the reason was that "stockings" was too long for newspaper headlines. "Stockings Win!" takes up more space than "Sox Win!" (At least that's the story on Wikipedia, which also says the the Cincinnati team was the first to use the name Red Stockings until 1870.)
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Then there was the White Sox Black Sox thing.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
... and even a Green Sox thing ...
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-11-01 00:22, mastermindreader wrote:
Yes. They changed the name to Sox in 1908. I understand that the reason was that "stockings" was too long for newspaper headlines. "Stockings Win!" takes up more space than "Sox Win!" (At least that's the story on Wikipedia, which also says the the Cincinnati team was the first to use the name Red Stockings until 1870.)

I thought it was 1869. I recall having a poster that I got in Little League in 1969 on the 100th anniversary of professional baseball. It mentioned the Cincinnati Red Stockings specifically as the first professional baseball team: all the players were on the payroll.

I wonder what that poster would be worth today.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Mastermindreader, is it possible to PM or email you somewhere?
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
S2000magician wrote:
"
I recall having a poster that I got in Little League in 1969 on the 100th anniversary of professional baseball. It mentioned the Cincinnati Red Stockings specifically as the first professional baseball team: all the players were on the payroll.

I wonder what that poster would be worth today."

Probably more than you would get for it if you were trying to sell it to a dealer or on Pawn Stars.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-11-01 01:06, arthur stead wrote:
Mastermindreader, is it possible to PM or email you somewhere?

I PM'd you, Arthur.

Bob
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2013-10-31 23:31, arthur stead wrote:
That's right ... and because I was raised walking upside down, gravity pulled us UP on that side of the earth.

Are little boys surprised by their first derections?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Can you imagine what pubescent girls go through?
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-11-01 01:03, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-11-01 00:22, mastermindreader wrote:

I thought it was 1869.

Could be. "Until 1870" could be read two different ways. If they discarded the name prior to the 1970 season it may well have still been in use at the beginning of the year. Or the Wikipedia entry might simply mean "Until 1870 when the name was discarded."
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
The Boston Red Sox, initially known as the Boston Red Stockings, were also sometimes known as the Red Caps, the Braves or the Beaneaters. Interesting historical background here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Boston_Braves
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
The story on the Cincinnati Red Stockings:

George and Harry Wright - both born in England - found baseball, or, more accurately for the time "base ball" superior to cricket and became avid players. Baseball up to that time was an amateur sport and even Alexander Joy Cartwright warned against the game's "professionalization." Nonetheless, the Cincinnati Red Stockings became the first professional baseball team in 1869 thanks to considerable financial backing. The team dominated all other teams in 1869 and finished with a one dollar profit! They started 1870 and were undefeated until June 14, 1870, when they lost to the Brooklyn Atlantics in 11 innings. News of the loss resulted in a severe decline in attendance and the Wrights took the best players and moved to Boston, becoming the Boston Red Stockings and dominated the short lived first professional baseball league - The National Association from its inception in 1871 to its demise in 1875. The following year, the National League was formed. The Boston Red Stockings eventually became the Boston Braves. The American League Boston team - the one we know today - had no official team name until 1908. They were unofficially referred to by various names including The Pilgrims, Somersets, Plymouth Rocks, Beaneaters, and Collinsites.

So there is no connection between the Cincinnati Red Stockings and Boston Red Stockings to the Boston Red Sox.

One more bit of trivia: the word "Sox" was first adopted by the Chicago White Sox.

From the Café's ONLY baseball only fan,
Vlad
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

I kind of like the sound of The Boston Beaneaters. (Or maybe The Wooster Wind Breakers) Smile
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1366 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
I just did a show in Worcester (Wooster) MA on Wednesday.
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Quote:
On 2013-11-01 19:34, mastermindreader wrote:
I kind of like the sound of The Boston Beaneaters. (Or maybe The Wooster Wind Breakers) Smile

Sounds like they're a gas!
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2013-11-01 20:03, arthur stead wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-11-01 19:34, mastermindreader wrote:

Sounds like they're a gas!

*Cue rim shot Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Red Socks win World Series (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL