The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Need better silks for Levent's Half Dyed Silk Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
I rehearse this routine quite a bit, and by show time the silks look like they've been through a shredder (perhaps an exaggeration, but it looks a bit like that from my point of view.) I've bought replacements, but at $15 a pop, I'm thinking a better grade of silks would be in order. Anyone familiar with this routine/gimmick have any suggestions?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I don't have this version of the trick, but if your silks are being pulled and getting snags and runs, it is not the silks, but the gimmick. You need to eliminate all the roughness and burs on the gimmick openings. All silk is very delicate, and will get snags and runs if not properly handled or going over a smooth edge.

If you have rough hands, try a good hand lotion, yes, rough skin will snag silk very easily. Try a good hand lotion that is not greasy.

If it is the gimmick edge, try using masking tape on the hole edges. If it is a plastic gimmick, then trim all rough spots with an X-acto knife and then smooth with an soldering iron to melt the plastic and smooth. Use light touches.

The heaviest silk sold is by P&A Silks company. Their silks are 8 momme and thus it may not fit in your gimmick.

The standard replacement silks I found at Abbott's are $20 for a set of half dyed silks. So I would say you are getting a good price at $15.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I agree with Bill..$15 is a good price for the silks. Silk prices have gone through the roof. PA is out of business. I make 5, 6 or 8 momme silks still. Do check the gimmick for roughness. Silks can really find those spots.

As to the wear factor, it is a factor in the type of gimmick and silks that have to be used. Only 5 momme will fit and they tend to wear out much faster than 6 or 8 momme. The silks that are normally supplied with the McComb gimmick are 6 momme which do hold up better.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
The McComb gimmicks as sold by Abbott's are built like a Sherman Tank.....

My preference is to always use the heaviest weight silk I can get that works, with 8 momme silks being my personal preference. The 8 momme silks drape better and hold up better, but as Bill Hegbli and Richard Hughes state above, the weight of silks that you can use depends on YOUR gimmick.

ALWAYS check your silk gimmicks for ANY rough areas BEFORE you put your silks in.
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Thank you, gentlemen. It is a plastic gimmick so I will try Bill's suggestions. Hope others with this particular version will chime in with their experiences.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Practice with the shredded set and save the nice set only for perfomances.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Need better silks for Levent's Half Dyed Silk Routine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL