The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » J. N. Hofzinser: Non Plus Ultra (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22899 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2013-11-17 12:21, owen.daniel wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-11-17 10:27, Bill Hegbli wrote:
You must have read the currency converter incorrectly.
$1 = 1.35 Euro
$249.00 = 184.94 Euro - that is a savings of $64.06, so you can even pay postage and still come out less then what American's pay.

On the Conjuring Arts Research Center website, it states the international price as $299.

Okay, the price in U.S. dollars is $299 to ship to Europe. Place your order through PayPal, they will figure the exchange rate for you. Conjuring Arts Research Center wants only $299, but PayPal will only charge you 221.54 Euros (plus a conversion fee) to be sent to the Conjuring Arts Research Center. That is a saving of 77.46 Euros on your end.

Remember, the price is $299.00 that is in U.S. dollars. The equivalent to that money in Euro's is 221.54, it is not 299 Euro's.

This is why so many Europeans like to vacation or as you guys say, take a holiday in America.

Notice: If all you European's have been purchasing merchandise from the U.S., I suggest you balance your checking accounts, as you will have loads of Euro's you did not know you had. Unless you are one of those people that call the bank and ask for the balance before making a purchase.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5024 Posts

Profile of landmark
Well I just decided No Soup For Me for the next five months.
owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
I have to say your maths is confusing me here. Nobody ever said that they thought it cost £300 or 300 euros... only dollars. When the original poster said that they couldn't pay $300 I believe they meant this... i.e. they couldn't pay 300 united states dollars... regardless of what exactly that is under the current exchange rate. So nobody has made a `saving' of 77 euros anywhere!
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
I just got a message from Stephen Minch that he had to charge my card for $299.00 (which is the cost to sweden), for the books due to the approatching holliday season. The books will reach Hermetic Press in 2 weeks from the printer. This will be a great christmas gift!
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6763 Posts

Profile of magicfish
So do we buy from Hermetic Press or from Conjuring Arts?
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Quote:
On 2013-11-19 22:01, magicfish wrote:
So do we buy from Hermetic Press or from Conjuring Arts?

I have bought them from Hermetic Press, but I think it don't matter which company you buy them from.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6763 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I sent first installment yo Conjuring Arts and I havent received any communication from them.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6021 Posts

Profile of motown
Do you mean you haven't received conformation of payment?
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
I have never Heard of Conjuring Arts Before, Stephen Minch I have known for 20 years and I trust him completly.
duanebarry
View Profile
Special user
883 Posts

Profile of duanebarry
Peo, you'll likely want to learn about the Conjuring Arts Research Center.

Among other things, they operate the fully-searchable Ask Alexander database of magic books and periodicals, more than 2 million scanned pages. Through a partnership with Genii, Genii subscribers enjoy FREE full-text searchable access to the entire 76-year run of Genii magazine via Ask Alexander. It has been a fantastic research tool for me, and has whetted my appetite for being able to search CARC's other holdings as well.

Two links for you, well worth exploring:

http://conjuringarts.org/

http://askalexander.org/
Magic-Daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
Denmark
1317 Posts

Profile of Magic-Daniel
Quote:
On 2013-11-20 10:58, magicfish wrote:
I sent first installment yo Conjuring Arts and I havent received any communication from them.

Same here. But I really don't expect to hear from them, until the book is paid out and ready to ship
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5024 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2013-11-20 10:58, magicfish wrote:

I did the same and got a confirmation email right away. I would double check with CA on what's happening. Or, check your spam folder.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6763 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Hmmmm good idea, landmark. Thankyou.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6763 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Landmark, you were correct. I received notification and didn't know it.
thanks.
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Will Houstoun has a review of Non Plus Ultra in the december issue of Genii.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22899 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2013-11-17 14:20, owen.daniel wrote:
I have to say your maths is confusing me here. Nobody ever said that they thought it cost £300 or 300 euros... only dollars. When the original poster said that they couldn't pay $300 I believe they meant this... i.e. they couldn't pay 300 united states dollars... regardless of what exactly that is under the current exchange rate. So nobody has made a `saving' of 77 euros anywhere!

It is not my math it is the International currency exchange rate math. I can see you have not traveled abroad or you would understand the explanation more readily.

Most people always think in their currently, not the actual value of their money. Thus that is why when Americans see a price like 300 pounds they may think that is a far price. But when the charge card company removes $489.55 plus conversion fees, it can be really big shock. Of course people from the U.K. just think they charge card company made a mistake only removing 183.83 pounds for a $300 product, they just think that is really great. After all, no one ever complains when it is in their favor, now do they.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I have the 1985 edition of "The Magic of Johann Nepomuck Hofzinser", compiled by Ottokar Fischer (he owned the Hofzinser collection) and translated by Richard Hatch. I can say it is interesting, but nothing more then that. The tricks are so period specific, and methods that cannot be recreated by anyone not willing to make a sizeable investment to recreate. If you are interested in how a creative person came up with some interesting props and magic in the 1800's, then you may enjoy reading the material.
TheFeds
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of TheFeds
Quote:
On 2013-11-28 01:33, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-11-17 14:20, owen.daniel wrote:

It is not my math it is the International currency exchange rate math. I can see you have not traveled abroad or you would understand the explanation more readily.

Most people always think in their currently, not the actual value of their money. Thus that is why when Americans see a price like 300 pounds they may think that is a far price. But when the charge card company removes $489.55 plus conversion fees, it can be really big shock. Of course people from the U.K. just think they charge card company made a mistake only removing 183.83 pounds for a $300 product, they just think that is really great. After all, no one ever complains when it is in their favor, now do they.

As someone who travels abroad a lot, I must disagree. Your original explanation perhaps could have made sense to someone without any experience using foreign currency (although it wouldn't have been educational for them, just misleading). But for those with any type of experience using foreign currency, it was just babble.

I do agree that most people will evaluate prices based on their own currency, but I can't imagine many people being so clueless as to think that prices will be displayed in their currency while visiting a foreign country. It is a rather simple matter to learn what currency a country uses and make a quick conversion procedure that can be done mentally so that foreign prices can be evaluated based on your own.

I would really hope that there are not that many Americans who can relate to the example that you gave, but if there are then it says more about them than it does the world. Maybe because the US is such a large country and people can travel a lot inside their own country and not have to use a different currency, but for Europeans few travellers could relate. Even here in Canada (also a vast country) despite our closest neighbour using a currency with the same names and denominations, people know that the value is different (even though not greatly different) and make a conversion.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22899 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
TheFeds, you hit it on the head, here in America, we cannot deal with foreign currency. No exchange places/stores. Some people that go to Canada bring back their change and get rid of it by purchasing with change. Thing is, no back will accept the Canadian money. So the last person to get the foreign money is stuck. If an American wants to get some foreign money to go on a trip abroad, they now have to order the money through banks and weight weeks to it. Bank Travel agencies and regular Travel Agencies use to have small "sample" foreign currency bags that travelers could get, just to have some cash on them. Not any more.

All banks refuse any foreign currency, they do not know what to do with it. The only cities I know of that has currency exchange stores is Chicago and New York.

On this side of the boarder, people do not know the value of Canadian money is different. Do you know some of your coins just jam up our vending machines because it is magnetic.
duanebarry
View Profile
Special user
883 Posts

Profile of duanebarry
Bill, your wisdom shows when you discuss magic.

Better to focus there.
nooner
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of nooner
Quote:
On 2013-11-28 12:20, duanebarry wrote:
Bill, your wisdom shows when you discuss magic.

Better to focus there.

+1
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » J. N. Hofzinser: Non Plus Ultra (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL