The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Time after time » » Practice... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chris Michaels
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Chris Michaels
When practicing, I was curious whether you practice sleights (alone/in order to conquer the move) or do you practice tricks, that involve the move in order to learn both at the same time?

To answer my own question, I usually just pick out some tricks I like, which happen to involve the same move (i.e. double lift). I'm not sure where I stand on this, as eventually you should be able to perform any of your moves without looking. But in the early stages, there's only a few you can work on, when you're paying attention to other things (i.e. double lifts again in this case the snap double).

Are there certain moves which you would recommend practicing, and others you would say are OK to practice in the middle of your trick learning? Or would you recommend each separately?
"penguin is the cheapest magic shop online" - some person I was talking to on AIM.
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
I usually practice the sleight first if I haven't used it before then the sequence of the effect.
oldmanxxvi
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
61 Posts

Profile of oldmanxxvi
I always practice a new sleight by itself first. After I have the sleight down, then I begin to practice the routine itself. I try to stick to practicing only the effects in the routine until I have it down.

Josh
Justin Craddock
View Profile
Regular user
buffalo,ny
127 Posts

Profile of Justin Craddock
Sleight first, then routine. When learning a new routine, I also practice my patter to cover the move in a mirror, so that I do not get in the habit of just doing the move.
"When a performance is over, What remains"
huggie50
View Profile
Regular user
North Las Vegas
109 Posts

Profile of huggie50
The new sleight first, then the routine.
Magically yours,
Huggie
Fayaad Manie
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of Fayaad Manie
You have to be able to understand and execute the sleight before you can apply it to a routine. Always learn the sleight first.
It would be as though you building a house without the tools (I mentioned this in another thread).

Thanks
Fayaad
stephen secret
View Profile
New user
mpls.
67 Posts

Profile of stephen secret
As soon as you have the sleight down switch over to using it in the routine. At times I even just work on the routine and slow down for the sleight...in time I'm using all moves at the same pace.
sincerely, secret
Lanny
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Lanny
Somewhere on here there was a link to some free notes on practice. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thank you for your help.....Lanny
Aron Devin
View Profile
New user
Chattanooga, TN
78 Posts

Profile of Aron Devin
A great way to practice is to do a move, say a double lift, then just lift one card and make it look just like the double. Also, it's good to make sure you handle the cards the same way everytime to maintain consistency and lessen the arising of suspicion in the spectator's mind. Harry Lorayne talks about this on one of his tapes where he says it looks like a "ballet" every time some magicians perform a double; whereas during the other times it just looks like the guy is lifting a card from the top of the deck.
THEHATER
View Profile
New user
Yugoslavia
37 Posts

Profile of THEHATER
I now only practice mostly the one hand top palm sleight and flourishes because I get rusty when I stop practicing. I've already developed a knack for other sleights like the double lift, pass and card controls.
green4magic
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of green4magic
The thing to keep in mind is that sleights are our tools.

As Fayaad said above, you get the tools, then build the house.

My advice would be get the tool, learn how to use the tool, then start doing simple projects with the tool. After that, you can go to more complex routines.

I wouldn't want to use a power nail gun until I knew how it worked and got my technique down, for safety reasons.

Sleights are the same thinking. The safety reasons are your reputation and secret maintenance.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Time after time » » Practice... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL