The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Yelp (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Profile of JoshLondonMagic
Anyone seeing their reviews on Yelp slowly disappearing?

I had 12 five star reviews on my Yelp page and now down to three reviews (all five stars). I have been getting calls from Yelp asking if I wanted to advertise. They said I would only have to pay $2 per click and after politely declining (because I currently pay about $.35 per click on Adwords) I started seeing my reviews slowly disappearing.

I looked into this a little more and found this article: http://m.bizjournals.com/boston/blog/mas......l?r=full

It looks like this is not an isolated incident but rather Yelp is extorting money from business owner. I'm just glad I only have 5 star reviews.

Josh
Josh
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Yes, I've just lost 4 - 5 star reviews. First one went missing but it was fairly new so I assumed the algorithm dumped it but this morning 3 more long standing reviews were gone.

- Mary Mowder
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
This has been going on for a while and has been discussed here before I believe. Just more of them flexing their muscle to get you as advertisers. It seems to be backfiring by angering more people. "Bullying For Bucks" is the term I've heard several times at industry events.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I presently have 3 5 star reviews with Yelp. I get sick of their constant calling trying to get me to pay monthly. That is why I blocked their number. They want to grow like Google.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
I can't blame them for wanting to grow like Goggle but their calls are annoying. I took a call while driving and they wanted me to go to a web site with them. I said, "I'm sorry I'm driving right now." They said, "We'll, can you open up a browser on your phone?" Seriously!
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Emory Kimbrough
View Profile
New user
Tuscaloosa, AL
94 Posts

Profile of Emory Kimbrough
I've encountered two Yelp phone salesmen. Both used the aggressive tactic of continuing to talk and ask questions no matter how many times you say "No thank you, not interested," until you are absolutely forced to just hang up the phone on them mid-sentence. I was taught as a child that it's very rude to hang up a phone on somebody without both sides giving a proper goodbye, and this obnoxious jerk tactic exploits this. Any salesman who does this will never get my business, even if their product could make me a lot of money.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I just lost three more reviews.

That's a total of 7 lost for me.

- Mary Mowder
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Yelp makes it incredibly hard to work with them, so I stopped. Can't even update business information.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Just lost another 5 star review.

D'oh!

- Mary
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Why are you not asking your customers to post their reviews onto your "Google My Business" page?

(You can do this as well as asking your customers to directly email you a review / testimonial.)

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I do ask them to review on my Google Plus page and Yelp but more choose Yelp.

More people say they found me on Yelp as well.

-Mary Mowder
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
In my follow up email, I give the customer a link to my "Google my Business" page. I simply got a short url for the link.

I don't know anything about Google Plus. I remember hearing that it was shut down.

Most of my web traffic is created organically, but I also do some paid advertising.

- Donald
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Capture your reviews before they disappear them use as needed. Not the same but still usable and better than being lost completely.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Live by the sword, die by the sword. Using other people's platforms like that is subject to their rule clanges.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Yelp reviews go up whether we want them or not and people use Yelp to research Magicians.

That is the reality.

I'd block any use of Yelp with regards to me if I could but neither I nor any other business can do that.

-Mary Mowder
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2018, Mindpro wrote:
Capture your reviews before they disappear them use as needed. Not the same but still usable and better than being lost completely.

This is easy to do with "Google My Business." They send you a notification (link) every time that someone leaves a review. And so it's simple to go to the review, and copy and paste it onto a file on your computer, so you can put it on your website, etc. Most of the time, my customers also send me a note to let me know they left a Google review.

- Donald
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Exactly!

Didn't know about Google My Business. Good to know, thanks Donald.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I actually ask my customers to send me their testimonials directly (I've been doing that for years).

But I also put the mention about putting a review on "Google My Business" (I've been doing that for the last year or so).

I get about 2/3 who send me the testimonial directly, and about 1/3 who do the review on Google. And there's some overlap, where some people do both.

- Donald
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I will start doing this as I've just lost another review.

Thank you Mindpro and Donald.

- Mary Mowder
Doctor Zolar
View Profile
Regular user
El Paso TX
151 Posts

Profile of Doctor Zolar
Having to DEAL with Reviews coming and going . . . and them selling ads puts a bad taste in my mouth concerning the BUSINESS of Magic.
It takes the fun out of the original premise: "Entertaining others so they can have fun".
Takes the fun out of practicing to get better.
Takes the fun out of everything.

A Comedy Club once told told me . . "We do not want any "Amateur Nights" and we don't CARE about helping others get started because we are only here to make money. Its just a bar with a cover charge and we completely change the audience over twice a night. It's ONLY for the money."

The Cut throat BUSINESS of show business . . . . Realty takes the fun out of it !
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Yelp (10 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL