The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Divine by Colin Mcleod (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Lar
View Profile
Veteran user
New Port Richey, FL
318 Posts

Profile of Lar
I'm writing this review on the assumption that you're already familiar with Colin and his previous work.

Even if I didn't know the author I think that after reading the first 3 effects in Divine I'd have probably guessed it was Colin; they all have that 'Colinesque' feel to them. Anyone who has his Opening Minds 4 DVD Set or Facade or Zen or has seen Colin's Penguin Live lecture will know what I mean by that.

Some of the effects Colin taught in his recent Penguin Live Lecture are present in Divine, his Q&A, Safe Opener, Perfect Prediction, Remarkable Effect & Here Comes Someone. Although they were in the lecture he goes into a bit more detail which suits me because I prefer books anyway.

Of the other effects in Divine I particularly liked 'By Association' (a word association effect with half a dozen spectators), 'Mesmerised Deck' (card memory) and Devil May Care (a headline prediction type effect).

There is of course some clever Dual-Reality and 'Colin-Speak' throughout that I'd expect from Colin plus he discusses his thoughts on broader topics like 'The Dunninger Ploy' and 'Billets'. There are 19 effects in all so there is plenty to choose from although I should point out that 3 of the effects use what I would term 'pricey items'. Everything else though uses readily available items you probably already have.

The real value is the book for me was how Colin went to great lengths to explain his creative process and reasoning. He doesn't just say 'This is the effect, here's the method'. He details precisely how he goes about structuring an 'affect' rather than an 'effect' and why it's not so much 'How' things are done (i.e. the method) that's important, it's 'Why' they are done (the 'affect') that matters.

There are a couple of bits at the end of the book which I really liked. One was Colin's description of his 'journey' thus far, the other was a great interview by Pete Turner.

Will I use everything in the book? No I won't, some of it isn't for me. However there are plenty of ideas in Divine that I will use (or that I am already using) in one form or another.

Colin knows his stuff. I'm just glad he's willing to share.

Regards,
Lar.
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1752 Posts

Profile of cirrus
I received this book today in my mail.

First when I opened it and saw that this book was signed by Colin himself was a nice bonus. It shows a great deal of customer care in my opinion.
Also the book is gorgeous. If I would rate this book I would give it a ten qua beauty. If I had to seduce it, I would never make a chance.

I started reading the book and never put it down until I was finished with it, although that's not completely true. I had to put it down. I had my notebook next to me to jot down ideas I got while reading this book.

I can't say more then what has been said before. You create a connection with Colin. You get to know him quite well, which is wonderfull. He doesn't only teach you his methods (he never gives a script for them, only the method, so you can work out how you would perform them), but gives you his reasoning with it.

Also he shows you the path he has taken to where he is today, which is a nice thing. I love to get to know who a person is, so I can enjoy their thinking even more.

Not only the how, but also the why is explained in this book. Lovely.

as a closer, was it worth the asking price? Absolutely. My reasoning is that if you get only one thing out of the book and can use it for the rest of your life then it is worth the price. I have gotten more then a few things from this book.

(also don't get fooled by the page count. I have read books with 200 pages with 20 point lettertype, while this only has lettertype 11 (my approx.) so you get your money's worth in text)

The book is jam-packed with advice, effects and Colin Mcleod, also as a bonus you get a little bit of Patrick Redford and Peter turner as seasoning.
VenicePianist
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of VenicePianist
This is absolutely stunning material. Coming from one of the finest minds in the business, I had high expectations when I initially place my order...but Mr. McLeod blew right through those. "Divine" is truly killer; this is brain-melting, hard-hitting material. A must-read --- period.
Dario
View Profile
Veteran user
332 Posts

Profile of Dario
I'm thinking in change my country only to perform one of the effects in the book that can't be performed in Spanish and I will love add it to one of my shows...so lucky you english speaking people!!
If you work trough the book, you will find routines to perform as they comme and other that will inspire you for sure, Colin has take us to his place one more time.
Develin
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of Develin
Divine.
I have a lot of Colin Mcleod's work(Dvd,e books and lecture notes)
Colin's new book Divine are imho. the best thing he has written.
Not really for the effects(Wich are werry good)but more for the thinking
behind.
It will make you think and that's allways a good thing.
I will use one of the effects in my show and use many of the ideas in this
book and that all you can ask for in a book.
Dennis Hermansson
Denmark
mk
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of mk
Are there many close up effects in the book?
Alex Hendrick
View Profile
New user
Italy
4 Posts

Profile of Alex Hendrick
I've just finished to read DIVINE and now it's time for a proper review.

The delivery was pretty quick and the book has a great look: he makes a good impression in a personal library.

The inner part of the book is great. Colin shares good effects, suitable for close up and up on stage. The effects and the methods are ingenious and practical and there are his takes about some classics in mentalism.
What I've really enjoyed was his innermost thoughts about the creativity process and how he describes the aim to justify what he does.
In his writing you can find useful gems that motivate you to change some variables of your thinking.

Reading his artistic journey and the interview by Peter Turner has been inspiring.
And the bonus of the book... It made ​​me smile the idea!

So? Thank you Colin for have shared your genuine thinking.
It will be absolutly usefull.
mrraemagic
View Profile
New user
Scotland, UK
9 Posts

Profile of mrraemagic
I wanted to wait until I had read the whole book before posting. Now that I have finished it all I can say is that this book is BRILLIANT. There is so much crammed into this book. What I enjoyed was not only the effects but the ideas behind them and Colin's variations. He has taken effects and described his methods and how he came up with them. Yes some of the effects do require certain other things that would need to be bought. However there are other variations with some of these if you don't want to purchase the extras. All I can say is that the extras have never really crossed my kind but after reading what Colin has come up with for them I am seriously considering buying them!

Most of the effects do not need anything that you won't have around the house. The only thing I had to buy was a jumbo index pack of cards after reading a brilliant idea of getting the spectator to think so something different other than a card. I loved the idea so much I had to go and put it into practice. Indeed the reactions so far have been great.

Colin is a modern day thinker of mentalism. The book is an easy read and I do feel from reading it that Colin has released his good stuff for us to learn from. The book has had been thinking constantly about my mentalism and how to make it better.

I recommend this to anyone interested in mentalism. If you have seen Colin's DVDs then expect the same quality ideas and methods, clearly explained and easily adaptable to your own style. I always thought the DVDs were great but this book shows that Colin has far more to offer and his thinking on mentalism is top notch.

Best buy of 2013!!!!
Jeff Wassom
View Profile
Elite user
491 Posts

Profile of Jeff Wassom
Got mine late in the game, but made first print run. Anxiously waiting. Maybe today....
Will78
View Profile
New user
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 Posts

Profile of Will78
I received DIVINE just before Christmas of 2014. I was expecting it to be awesome and it is!

Colin has a uncanny ability to exploits different principles, putting them together and presenting them in a whole new way. He is certainly one of the most brilliant thinker in the world of mentalism today.

This is one of the my best purchases in 2013. Looking forward to Colin's next release already...
Colin
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1348 Posts

Profile of Colin
Hey guys, some lovely people have kindly provided me with the following reviews. Whilst they’re not members of The Magic Café the have kindly given me permission to share them with you ...

"There are a few creators that whenever they release something, I buy it immediately, no questions asked.  Colin McLeod is one of those guys and 'Divine' is one of his best works yet.   In it you can see why he is one of the most creative thinkers of our generation.  If you read this book for just the methods, you'll certainly get your money's worth because everything is so well thought out and practical in the real world, however, the real value is the insight into his creative process that will inspire you get your gears turning and come up with routines that will best fit your own personality." - Eric Dittelman

“I read this book with an on-growing interest and I've to say that I am fascinated about it.
It belongs to top rank of best books in Mentalism I ever had the pleasure to read.
All chapters are written in an excellent and comprehensible style.
What touched me in all chapters is the view of the author in relation to his audience.
He imagines what and how his audience should experience the performance!
And then, he edits the effect accordingly.
Very known effects appear in a real new look.
This way of thinking corresponds with mine one.
I'd say that this labour belongs into every serious mentalist's library” - Rudolf Künzli

“Divine was a Christmas gift I got for myself. I enjoyed Colin's work on Opening Minds and was hoping to see more of his refreshing thinking in this new book. Needless to say, I had high hopes and I was not disappointed!

Several times I would finish reading an effect and have one of those "that was worth the price of the whole book" moments. You know you're in for a treat when you have this thought after the very first effect (By Association) in the book!

There are items in here for just about every venue. Close up workers will find plenty to use, and platform performers should find even more. What's more is that Colin lets you peek behind the curtain a bit to see what his thinking was for making the choices he made. Sometimes it's with a presentational choice, sometimes it's a twist on a method, but his thought process is there. 

I could list the items I plan to use, but part of my enjoyment was getting this book without any clue as to what to expect. Divine was worth the money and worth the time it took to read it, and I expect to be diving into these pages often as I start rotating some of these into my professional work. Highly recommended!” - Pj Pinsonnault

“I read Divine from cover to cover on Saturday and was constantly blown away by your thinking. To me it's a masterpiece and a must have, and for what it's worth in my humble opinion stands alongside the best mentalism books I've collected over the years. I've read more than enough material for a lifetime, and it's not often that I see something that shouts of such high quality on first read. When something like this comes along that makes me feel giddy again I know it's something special. I particularly loved the word association opener, and the memorised deck effect, both of which were new to me from your work, but every effect gave me food for thought and I've already started seeing how I can play and adapt. I really like the way that you stage and frame your effects to heighten impact, and design from the point of view of the impact that you want to achieve. I also love the way that you've reworked well known gimmicks to create fresh and exciting routines.  
I'm very proud to own it and, having followed your work over recent years, it highlighted again what an exciting talent you are.” - Steve Harwood

“I perform on a monthly basis.  I've purchased many mentalism products and books.  "Divine" is my best purchase ever.  The material is top-notch and very clever. However, what's most important is that Colin has stimulated my thinking and given me more ides on how to develop my own routines.  

"Divine" was priced far too low. I also would have preferred a limited release, so everyone won't have access to the content and Colin's mindset.” - Justin Myers

“Divine.
I have a lot of colin McLeod's work(Dvd,e books and lecture notes)
His new book Divine are IMHO. the best thing he has written.
Not really for the effects(Which are vey good)but more for the thinking
behind.
It will get your to think and that's always a good thing.
I will use one of the effects in my show and use many of the ideas in this
book and that all you can ask for in a book.” - Dennis Hermansson

“Love the book. Fantastic ideas that I'm very upset you didn't share with me when we hung together ;-)” - Bill Abbott

“It is really good, clever and workable; I will be adding quite a lot to my stage work. It has also made me think in a different way about what really matters in my performance.” - Jonathan Tetley

And now a video of me performing recently ... Enjoy!

http://www.affinitytv.co.uk/entertainment/

Col.
Check out Psych-Artist.com now for free essays and other resources.
Will78
View Profile
New user
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 Posts

Profile of Will78
Sorry, I meant that I received DIVINE just before the Christmas of "2013".

(I am sure my fellow mentalist here already knew what I mean. But, I thought I better correct my own typo.)
Lar
View Profile
Veteran user
New Port Richey, FL
318 Posts

Profile of Lar
Quote:
On 2014-01-20 11:05, Will78 wrote:
Sorry, I meant that I received DIVINE just before the Christmas of "2013".
(I am sure my fellow mentalist here already knew what I mean. But, I thought I better correct my own typo.)

You thought you'd received it in 2014, the rest of the audience thought you received it in 2013. Prime example of Colin's fiendish Dual-Reality at work.

Lar.
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2014 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
I'd like to read the chapter on the D*******r P**y. I recall Colin and Paolo Cavalli were collaborating on a book about it but that never surfaced. A piece from Colin's Opening Minds DVD set showed some of Colin's good thinking on the subject.
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
ajb6864
View Profile
Special user
Corfu, Greece
609 Posts

Profile of ajb6864
In agreement with everything that has been said before.

This book was definitely the best money I spent on material in the last couple of years.

The ideas in this book are stimulating and at times genius!

Colin's 'which hand' routine, "Perfect Prediction", is just that. In my opinion it surpasses the benchmark set by Derren Brown for this routine and takes it to another level. It adds a different level to the effect and even encouraged me to purchase the necessary, immediately. I have altered the premise to suit me and is a real 'keeper'.

The work on the "D*******r P**y' has made me want to re-look at something that I had always disregarded and his routine "Devil May Care" has altered my approach to the 'headline prediction', (which is something I use professionally), by adding a clever new slant to the outcome.

If you get no other book this year, this book should be a must. It will make you think differently about your effects and let you cast a fresh eye over old ones.

Thank you Colin for sharing your thoughts.

Alan
Colin
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1348 Posts

Profile of Colin
Thank you to everyone for their incredibly kind words.

And just so you know, there are only 6 left now of the first edition.

Any more questions ... Just ask!

Col
Check out Psych-Artist.com now for free essays and other resources.
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
I wish I wasn't so skint
A friend of mine has it and says this is full of bl**dy good stuff

Smile

steve
Sashac
View Profile
Inner circle
1019 Posts

Profile of Sashac
After a month still haven't received mine. I guess one of the postmen must have been a Colin fan!
Colin very kindly offered to replace it by friday, great customer service!
BTW, there are only 5 left!!!!!
Jeff Wassom
View Profile
Elite user
491 Posts

Profile of Jeff Wassom
Sashac too weird, same thing with me. Perhaps we were in the same batch? Colin was great about it like you said. Still keeping my eyes out and fingers crossed for a few more days.
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
4 Smile
Twitter @darjames
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Divine by Colin Mcleod (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL