The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » Little girl, almost in tears... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

PhilMagicGuy
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of PhilMagicGuy
Ever wonder just how real the magic appears from a child's point of view?

This happened a year ago and I always think about it because it was a great lesson to me. I often get in the habit of plucking coins out of kids ears, but to me I'm thinking "look, I made a coin appear back here". To a lot of kids though, they effect is "How did a coin GET in there?"

During a strolling magic show I was making coins vanish as I drop it into someone's hand, then pull it out of the ear, their sleeve, etc. At some point I must have made a few coins vanish into a few kids' ears before pulling them back out. I forgot one.

A mother walked up to me with her daughter, nearly in tears, and said the girl didn't want to leave because I forgot to take the coin out of her ear. I did it right then and there. And she lit up all happy. But, this poor girl spent the better part of an hour walking around the venue thinking there was a coin magically implanted in her ear!!!

(PS: I've never made a habit of "putting things IN kids ears" so I must have just got caught up in a moment...)
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Ahhhhh! The world famous quarter from the ear trick, now ever immortalized due to the popular TV commercial where the grandpa pulls a quarter out of his grandson's ear. "Oh, a QUARTER!!" "Do it again grandpa!"

I love the reactions this gets from kids. They range from delight and a bright smile, to the child who pulls back as soon as you reach for the ear. You usually don't see it coming, and you subsequentally end up pulling the coin from a point somewhere in mid air.

I use the maneuver a lot when I'm beginning my lady bug routine ( http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&forum=5 )

But that poor girl! She obviously thought the magic was very real!

I remember as a little boy thinking my uncle could ACTUALLY take his thumb off.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » Little girl, almost in tears... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL