The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » My Finger Ring Routine Attempt (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
anevard
View Profile
New user
Montreal, QC, Canada
42 Posts

Profile of anevard
Hey Guys,

I am an amateur hobbyist, with the problem of always trying to find a way to con people into watching a trick or 2. I have been working on a little finger ring routine, and am curious as to what you think. I have posted it here http://youtu.be/hcsNIt_S9Lk

NONE of the moves are original and large chunks come from sources I am sure you all know. I do flash a bit, but am curious if you think the flow is OK. Please be gentle but all helpful comments are much appreciated.

Andrew
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
What kind of reactions do you get doing this for a lay audience?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
anevard
View Profile
New user
Montreal, QC, Canada
42 Posts

Profile of anevard
I am just starting to put all this together. I have done it in bits and pieces and it works as a quick moment. The section with the band is basically Pinnacle by Russ Niedzwiecki and that goes over really well. I am trying to build it all together into a small routine and this is the first attempt. Wondering if the band section should go first or if they don't work together at all.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
I like the routine. I urge you to work on your patter. you are explaning what you do. no need to. the first part - ring only - say something like this is an acrobatic ring. he can do all kinds of crazy jumps. with out saying anything show the routine. start talking when you introduce the rubberband.
anevard
View Profile
New user
Montreal, QC, Canada
42 Posts

Profile of anevard
Thanks Robert.

I fall into a trap of not talking enough sometimes, so I try and force patter when I practice. I must admit that in the moment I usually am more animated and lively, but find myself pretty bland practicing in front of a camera. I will continue to think about an approach to the patter that is more interesting.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
ANDREW, if you don't know what to say then shut up! sounds harsh I know. but the tricks are good enough. the audience can follow the effect even if you don't say anything. for the rubber band: write down your lines. then ask yourself what kind of information does a spector to know to view it as magic?
anevard
View Profile
New user
Montreal, QC, Canada
42 Posts

Profile of anevard
Advice taken!

It always is easier for me to perform in front of real people. The interaction and energy make the magic feel like it works on it's own. I always feel strange in front of a camera or other magicians.

I am going to keep working on this, wondering if I should move into CMHC at the end.

As for patter I have always liked to play off quantum theory and space between particles for CMHC. Fits with my personality, Do you think that goes too far into lala land for this routine? I guess the idea is that I want to use this as a way to get people to watch some magic, many who are skeptical. I need to work on some patter to convince them it's worth taking a look, even if the idea is completely ridiculous. I always feel comfortable tying it to some sort of bogus scientific probability.
john wills
View Profile
Special user
940 Posts

Profile of john wills
Try to write a script.
Plot: matter through matter - solid through solid.
Perhaps one line could be: "Your mind has to be elastic to understand this penetration"

Also you can try to turn things around.
Perhaps the effect is stronger if you start with
the rubberband penetration and after that
the finger penetration

Go for it! Make it your own.
anevard
View Profile
New user
Montreal, QC, Canada
42 Posts

Profile of anevard
Thanks John.

I do have some ideas around that patter. Going to keep playing with it and see where it goes.

You raised a point that is one of the big questions. Is it better to end with the band or the finger penetrations?
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10791 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
To hell with the script you have a excellent routine.
the magic speaks for it's self the r is noting worse than a boring script zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
I am going to side with Robert Blake on this one, with gtreat respect to my pal Vinny. As I watched the routine, I was quite impressed with the routine but kept thinking how much I dislike (personally) the fallback patter of, "I don't really understand why this happens, but when I do this, that happens." While I agree that too heavy of a script can dull the magic, simply telling the spectator what they are seeing is very dull indeed.
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
But make no mistake: my main message is that the moves seemed quite magical to me.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8841 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On 2013-11-08 16:46, vinsmagic wrote:
To hell with the script you have a excellent routine.
the magic speaks for it's self the r is noting worse than a boring script zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

vinny

I mostly agree.

And really, the patter ain't too bad either. Smile.

All in all, good job here anevard, and welcome to the Café. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10791 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Motley it is ok to disagree.....we are all different.
since this is such a magical routine and effect,
if this was performed just to music it would be beautiful.
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
anevard
View Profile
New user
Montreal, QC, Canada
42 Posts

Profile of anevard
I have to tell you that I am a bit overwhelmed by the fact that you guys like the routine. Just the fact that the moves I have learned from great creators work well enough in my routine for magicians of your caliber to appreciate, makes me feel like my ability to perform magic might actually be not too bad. I do agree that the patter is weak. Although it would be fun to do this to music, in my case I want to use it to draw in people at a dinner or party so that I can perform for them. I believe that I have to come up with some simple interesting patter to draw them in.

Still wondering if there is a way to work CMHC into this.

Vinny and Marion, I love your stuff. Marion, I have been working on Revisited for 2 years now. One day I'll get it down well enough to want to perform it ;-)
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
You have a very solid base to start from here. I agree with Vinny that this could work as a silent routine with music; at the same time, as a table routine, a simple set of patter (and I love the "elastic mind" line) this could work well. Play it big--it's MAGIC!
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1311 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
I think its a great routine.

I feel if it is put to music it need to be choreographed.

If you add patter lines keep it lose and simple. A few ideas,
1) just talk and expalin to pepoe why you like magic. How one thing changes place or soild througth soild.
2) Get a nice intresting ring and talk about the ring.

Just ideas have fun. You got a great base and its wonderful you want to build it in to a clean solid entertaing routine
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Quote:
On 2013-11-08 16:46, anevard wrote:
You raised a point that is one of the big questions. Is it better to end with the band or the finger penetrations?

end with the rubberband! why? it is called progression. how can you get more interest in your magic? the word is MORE! more magic more comedy more interaction more props. so start of with the ring alone is good. you can even jazz with it. then if you add something new THE RUBBERBAND this adds new interest - so building the act to a higher level.

magic should be possible with no patter. this way if it is noisy or foreigners are watching they still can enjoy the show.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8841 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On 2013-11-08 22:03, anevard wrote:
...Vinny and Marion, I love your stuff. Marion, I have been working on Revisited for 2 years now. One day I'll get it down well enough to want to perform it ;-)

Well, thank you anevard. Your comments are much appreciated. Smile

ReVisiTed is one of my most favorite effects to perform, I do it regularly for people wherever I go and it never ceases to amaze. Smile Many times, it might be the only effect I get a chance to do but it's always enough to keep them wanting more whenever they see me again. Smile

Funny, just the other day, I was paged on the loud speaker to come to the big boss' office…He had heard about my magic and wanted to see for himself, and so I showed him ReVisiTed. He always has a big smile and kind word whenever he sees me now. Smile

Keep working with it and get it out there to people, it's truly worth it. Smile It would play well with your wonderful Ring Routine here. Smile Anyway, thanks again.

-Mb
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1422 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
I thoroughly enjoyed your performance. There has been much advice given to you. My advice... "take what works for you and leave the rest". Good job.

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » My Finger Ring Routine Attempt (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL