The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Rick Johnsson (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

comicjenius
View Profile
New user
Spartanburg, SC
32 Posts

Profile of comicjenius
Anyone know where to find any published works by the late, great Rick Johnsson? I know of his column in The Linking Ring magazine, and the Wedlock trick as well as various other gems he showed me in the 70's, but I'm running into a wall as far as finding any published work he may have released. Also, could someone tell me the nature of his demise. I never heard. Thanks.
rhettbryson
View Profile
Elite user
Greenville, SC Not ashamed of his
406 Posts

Profile of rhettbryson
His book Practical Impossibilities is a wonderful volume. There are 5 or 6 sets of lecture notes. I do see all of these show up from time to time on eBay. You might check with H&R Books for a possible source for Practical Impossibilities.
comicjenius
View Profile
New user
Spartanburg, SC
32 Posts

Profile of comicjenius
Hello Sir Rhett! Long time no see! Thanks for the tip! Hope all is good on your end, tell Algonquin McDuff Keni said "Hey!".
mrmagician
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of mrmagician
Rick was a college professor. In my opinion, he was a genius.
He died of cancer at a young age.
One of his books, put out by jerry mentzer was Strike One, dealing with match boxes. One early set of lecture notes were mimeographed, Your Putting Me On.

He put out some tricks - hard to find
Polish (or Cranky) Card Rise
Spook Key

Rick was an ardent student of Slydini, as was Bill Wisch.
comicjenius
View Profile
New user
Spartanburg, SC
32 Posts

Profile of comicjenius
Thanks Mrmagician! I thought Spook Key was a John Murray creation available only from Up The Stairs Magic Shop, Greenville, SC in the 1970's. I had one then and Rick was in and out of the shop a lot but I thought it was John's. Collaboration? I'd love to get my hands on one again!
comicjenius
View Profile
New user
Spartanburg, SC
32 Posts

Profile of comicjenius
Me, again Mrmagician! I forgot to add: I didn't know Rick studied under Slydini! No wonder he was so great, and I concur with genius status! I met Bill Wisch at a lecture he did at Up The Stairs, fantastic! Slydini influenced too? Makes sense! Ever heard of Dexter Cleveland? Thanks again! Cheers! The Amazing Keni.
rhettbryson
View Profile
Elite user
Greenville, SC Not ashamed of his
406 Posts

Profile of rhettbryson
Spookey WAS a John Murray creation. Rick may have cola orated with him on the presentation but the apparatus and mechanics of the trick were all John. I remember watching him fabricating them in the “back room.”
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Old Linking Rings, and possibility through on-line TLR.

I think it was in the 70's and possibly early 80's?

Much gold can be found by digging through his stuff.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Colonel Clark
View Profile
Regular user
Mesa, AZ
127 Posts

Profile of Colonel Clark
I had the wonderful good fortune to introduce Rick Johnsson to magic. I was a sophomore at Rogers High School in 1950 while my father was stationed at the USN Hospital in Newport, RI. I gave a performance at our annual talent show, and afterwards, this big guy came up to me and said "You do Miracles!" Rick was living with his Uncle, just outside the gates to the hospital, so I invited him over. He was there so many times, my Mother wanted to know if she had adopted someone without remembering it. I remember the first magic trick he purchased was a set of "Chink Cans". Rick went back to Vicksburg, and I moved on to my Dad's next duty station in Quantico, VA. Rick became GREAT, while I became more of a hobbyist, Chop Cup and magic book collector. Rick and I reconnected in 1979, and he graciously sent me a wonderful letter, and a copy of most of his publications.

Rick outshined my magic abilities by a HUGE margin, and some of his works are beyond my capabilites, so I'd be happy to (finally, and with regret) part with these original items:
a) Practical Impossibilities (autographed)
b) Strike One
c) You're Putting Me On
d) A Baker's half Dozen (autographed)
e) The Scoop (autographed)
f) Raspberry Tarts (autographed)

I'll throw in a COPY of the letters we exchanged when we got back together.

Media Mail within the USA included for the package = $75.00 to my PayPal account

First to agree gets it.

Kind magical regards,

Colonel Clark (Clark Wirthlin)
Colonel Clark
View Profile
Regular user
Mesa, AZ
127 Posts

Profile of Colonel Clark
PM me if you are interested
Colonel Clark
View Profile
Regular user
Mesa, AZ
127 Posts

Profile of Colonel Clark
Offer withdrawn.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Colonel! At the SAM convention in Miami (1973???) I was helping Jay with the Magic Inc. dealer booth. The evening shows had some fine talent, but the staging "conditions" were really poor. (Lights! orchestra (?)! No "wings", ET!.. It was a platform with "curtains" in a hotel dining room. The stage hands were local magicians who wanted to see the show. There was no 'stage manager'. The curtain puller would open and run out in front to watch the act, then run "backstage" to close the curtain (but always late.)

The committee had sold tickets to the public. After a couple of acts, the public was "forming a line"(!!!) at the exit. My friend Jerry Conklin was doing 45 minutes to close the show (second half, second night), He asked if I would come backstage and stage manage "his" half. I did.

Rick Johnson was booked to do his lecture, his close up act, AND his atage act, ALL on the next DAY! Along with Rick,Bob Mason was on the bill with his hilarious Punch & Judy. A young kid with a "cruise ship act", another guy with an "electronic" magic act, a Japanese kid with a CLASSY manipulative act, and one or two other acts,

Rick came and asked me to stage manage the entire show. Rick was a friend. I said, "Yes!" The show went fine,but,it was a challenge!!!

He autographed his lecture program to me: "I can never thank you enough for that night!" This thread got me reminiscing! I think that I had better write up (as Paul Harvey used to say: "...The rest of the story" to explain that "autograph". I'll put it in my book. (THAT, should increase sales!!!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Colonel Clark
View Profile
Regular user
Mesa, AZ
127 Posts

Profile of Colonel Clark
Glad you shared his friendship. Quite a guy.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Rick Johnsson (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL