The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » MINDvention » » MindVention was FABULOUS (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Scott Wells
View Profile
Inner circle
Houston, TX
1025 Posts

Profile of Scott Wells
Quote:
On 2013-11-18 20:50, j100taylor wrote:
I also really enjoyed my first MindVention. One regret - I was hoping that after the conference I would be able to put more faces to the names on the Café. Unfortunately that didn't happen. I'm sure I met a lot of you - I just can't correlate the names.

Perhaps there might be some sort of sticker that Steve Brooks can prepare that we can put on our convention badges in the future. I think it would be great if we could recognize each other at conventions and be able to associate Café names with faces.
"A magician who isn't working is only fooling himself." - Scott Wells, M.I.M.C. with Gold Star

The Magic Word podcast: http://themagicwordpodcast.com Listen to convention coverage, interviews with magicians, pictures, videos and more.

Magic Inspirations website for all things Banachek: www.magicinspirations.net
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I followed Uncle Bob's advice and wrote SAYSOLD1 at the bottom of my badge.

Only neg was that some guys called out to me "Hey, SAYSOLD1 !" during the convention rather than my real name lol. Took some getting used to Smile

I must say how cool it was to finally meet so many Café members in person.

One particular person who I've disagreed with a bit in the past on the Café was actually quite pleasant in person - and I now see him from a different (more positive) perspective.

I'm planning 100% to go agin to MindVention next year.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On 2013-11-20 09:22, saysold1 wrote:
One particular person who I've disagreed with a bit in the past on the Café was actually quite pleasant in person - and I now see him from a different (more positive) perspective.

That wasn't George?
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2017 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
I don't recall meeting saysold by either name, but I'm pretty sure I would like him. After all, friendship is not contingent upon 100% agreement.

I follow his posts with great interest, and affirm his point of view much more often than not. I now regret that I have not often said so when I (silently) affirmed his insights and contributions.

Saysold, let's meet next year. You could spring for lunch!

George
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
100% George! First drink is on me - next one is on Bob!

No the person is rather not name but he's cool. Nothing like meeting in person.

See you fellas and gals at next years rodeo.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Lunch? Sure. Subway
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2013-11-20 09:49, Mindpro wrote:
Quote:

That wasn't George?

And I definitely would be honored to meet you sir - lots of wisdom shared generously. Many thanks.
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2017 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
I LOVE dining at the Club Subway!

George
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On 2013-11-20 17:02, saysold1 wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-11-20 09:49, Mindpro wrote:
Quote:

That wasn't George?

And I definitely would be honored to meet you sir - lots of wisdom shared generously. Many thanks.

I welcome the opportunity and look forward to it myself.
tpratt38
View Profile
Loyal user
New Orleans
279 Posts

Profile of tpratt38
Quote:
On 2013-11-14 20:31, Gerry Hennessey wrote:
Highlights

Paul Vigil. Wonderful (The Christopher Walken of the art)
Michael Weber Lecture
Doccs performance on the last night

Of course the Bob Cassidy Roast. A brilliant line up of mentalism luminaries, mercilessly trashing & praising our beloved Bob.

And one more. Eric Samuels. His performance on the attendee show was marvelous. His "thin slicing" effect was so well thought out, sophisticated and professional. Loved it.

Mindvention was great. I agree to all the above.

Great seeing everyone and making new friends.
Mental Threads....

Invoking your thoughts one thread at a time...

Creator of Voodoo Dowels
Gerry Hennessey
View Profile
Special user
852 Posts

Profile of Gerry Hennessey
Quote:
On 2013-11-17 19:31, Scott Wells wrote:
Indeed this tenth annual convention was a memorable one on many counts. I recorded daily updates and posted the podcasts on The Magic Word at http://TheMagicWordPodcast.com where you can also read some details and highlights on the blog. But you can download the podcasts in an MP3 format through the blog or download the podcasts through iTunes, too.

A very special thanks goes out to all who took the time to chat and allow themselves to be recorded for posterity.

And you can always keep up with what I'm doing on The Magic Word right here on the Café at: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewf......m=333&59

For those who have yet to listen, Scott's podcast is a marvellous record of MV. His interviews are terrific, especially with the elusive John Riggs.

Scott deserves great thanks for this, he certainly has mine. Bravo!
"Every discipline effects every other discipline. You can't straighten out the corporation if your closet is a mess" Jim Rohn
Jheff
View Profile
V.I.P.
402 Posts

Profile of Jheff
Quote:
On 2013-11-16 10:48, saysold1 wrote:
But anyone on that podium should have come prepared with a proper barrage of one liners and entertaining scripting - and Jheff probably would gave been wise to get some help reviewing his material to add some funny bits rather than 10+ min of dry story retelling without so much as a single gag or one liner. The "Liberace" of mentalists just didn't cut it.

Not a single gag or one liner? I'm afraid then you missed the entire point of what I was doing. I'm not a comedian and I didn't feel like my strengths were to come up with those types of things. My references to Bob (such as the "Liberace of Telepathy") were not designed to be gags or one-liners and I was pleasantly surprised that I got laughs at each of them. I didn't feel like digging up old dirty jokes and inserting Bob into them, as a few roasters did. (And I've nothing against that, by the way. They were, indeed, funny.) Instead, I felt a witty anecdote would be entertaining. That's more my style. And I decided to do something a bit off the wall and esoteric, as that is my nature, yet still be respectful and poke a little fun at Bob. I wanted to see who was listening and the anecdote played right into that. I knew some would get it and some wouldn't. To me, that was part of the whole joke. And, no, I won't bother explaining it because if you have to explain jokes... But thanks for attending.

And who said that one has to have gags or one-liners? As I recall, one or two other roasters didn't either. I'd never been part of a roast before and I only wished Stetson would have warned me that he had he had a fair bit of material that he wanted to direct towards me. I most certainly would have been more prepared. That's not really his, or anybody's, fault, really. But all is good. It was all fun.

The only real "negative" for the convention, if you can call it that, was that I was kept much more busy than I have been in past years. Between the two presentations and the dealer's booth, I had less time this year than usual to sit back and enjoy it. And being busy is a good thing. I didn't even have time to peruse the dealer's room and I know I missed out on a getting a few interesting items that others told me about later.

But now it's back to the website, Bob's workshop, working on Vol. 3 of THE ARTFUL MENTALISM OF BOB CASSIDY, and other projects. Perhaps next year, Danny will have me as a featured lecturer as I do have about hours of material to share and I'm just not talking about reviewing the current mentalism items (which a few have asked me to do). Of course, if he does, then that will keep me VERY busy again!

- Jheff
Marketplace of the Mind PARIMENTAL, a 200 page exploration of a classic Martin Gardner principle, is now available!!
Danny Archer
View Profile
V.I.P.
Philly
607 Posts

Profile of Danny Archer
I think that about wraps up that subject... good idea about stickers on the name badges to identify Café members.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
We had that a couple of years ago... Makes me feeling older than I wish Smile Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » MINDvention » » MindVention was FABULOUS (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL