The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Shot Glass Production Comparison (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
This is a comparison between "Extra Shot", by Bill Abbott [owners of "Stabbed & Shot" will have this prop], and "Sure Shot", by Scott Alexander.

Firstly, this review will not go into the modus operandi of these tricks.

Secondly, both products are decent and reliable.

I have had Bill's shot glass solution for well over a year, and it shows no sign of failing. Scott's solution I have only recently acquired, so I cannot comment as to durability. From the material, I am expecting decent longevity.

Both creators provide a shot glass and top. Bill's top fixes around the outside of the glass, Scott's fixes to the inside.

Glass size/shape:

Bill's glass is taller and thinner, Scott's is shorter and more squat. (Ooh, this is nasty...) Both look like real shot glasses, and both would pass muster in any bar or club. Bill's glass, due to the slimness, is just about sleevable, (yes, you could use a holdout), but I couldn't get Scott's glass up the sleeve at all. Not really a problem for me, as I wouldn't want to sleeve this or hold it out up there, to be honest. But for some, you may consider this point important.

Leakage:

There is no leakage from either prop. Both work exceptionally well.

Ease of removal:

Here's the thing. Bill's lid is so secure, it requires considerable effort to remove it, which in some senses is no bad thing. Scott's lid is removed very easily, which for my purposes is more ideal. If you are using this as a final load in an egg bag, for instance, then either one will be fine, as you will essentially use a two handed removal. However... if a one-handed removal is required, then it all becomes a little bit complicated.

In "Stabbed & Shot", the removal is one handed, done under ludicrously good misdirection, and all is good. Scott's glass is sold via his egg bag routine, using a two handed removal. But..... if, for instance, you wanted to produce this from a back pocket, or from a typical body load, then my experience thus far is that Scott's is a lot less hassle.

Scott's comes with a tab attached to the lid, but it would be a cheap and easy task to fix something similar onto Bill's. The crucial thing is that with Bill's glass, you need considerably more force to remove the lid. But remember, this could be more advantageous, depending on your needs.

Both these products are excellent, but there is little information here on them, so I hope this may be of use to some of you.

Tom
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Tomsk192, THANK YOU for all that time you took to make a comparison. At certain times I run into these and always wonder which one I'd prefer. From what you wrote, Scott's would be the one for me.

Thanks again!
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Thanks for that excellent review and your time, Tom. That obviously took a while to write up.
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
My pleasure guys. There's something about producing a glass of liquid.... Smile
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I have to inform all that there is a new gimmick on the market from Viking Magic.

No routine, just a very secure gimmick for a shot glass, and the price is right.

http://www.vikingmagic.com/just-arrived/Shot-Glass-Cover
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Thanks Bill, I'll check that out.
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Tom: If you haven't already, note the size of the shot glass on the Viking page. That won't work with some props/bags/etc.
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Good point, Steve!
Xpilot
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
464 Posts

Profile of Xpilot
Quote:
On 2013-11-16 20:26, Bill Hegbli wrote:
I have to inform all that there is a new gimmick on the market from Viking Magic.

No routine, just a very secure gimmick for a shot glass, and the price is right.

Great price... if you don't mind paying $9.50 shipping for a $3.00 piece of rubber.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Heh Smile
nornando
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of nornando
I'll add my thanks tomsk192, I too was debating between the two - almost went with "Stabbed"even though my principal need was for an egg bag load (thought hey, kind of nice routine in addition to the shot) glass) but after reading your review I've got to go with
Sure Shot cause it sounds perfect for the egg bag.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Glad it helped Smile
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
I just found this older thread while I was searching for "shot glass production."
It seems like Scott's production is what I am looking for but is more than I want to spend for a rubber seal.
It has to seal well and be easily removable.
I just need the seal itself or a seal/glass combo..
I don't need a DVD or bag.
The one from Viking looks like the price is right but it would be difficult to remove with one hand.
I want to use this to produce a loaded shot glass from a thin wallet.
Ihor
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
I just got Sure Shot for Christmas.
Works great. Doesn't leak and easily removed with one hand.
Just what I wanted.

I have the shot glass from wallet trick.
Now I'm working on "FILLED" shot glass from wallet.
Ihor
chappelly
View Profile
Special user
Down Under
744 Posts

Profile of chappelly
Quote:
On Nov 17, 2014, Ihop wrote:
I just found this older thread while I was searching for "shot glass production."
It seems like Scott's production is what I am looking for but is more than I want to spend for a rubber seal.
It has to seal well and be easily removable.
I just need the seal itself or a seal/glass combo..
I don't need a DVD or bag.
The one from Viking looks like the price is right but it would be difficult to remove with one hand.
I want to use this to produce a loaded shot glass from a thin wallet.

The one from Viking is excellent.

It is fairly easy to remove with one hand.

Chappelly
mgsaloon
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of mgsaloon
Hello All...I have got Scotts Sure Shot for the egg bag routine...But I also do Billy McComb's Whisky from the egg bag routine then make it disappear and then produce it from my pocket full. But for this I use the Viking shot glasses and rubber lids as I feel that they are more safer especially the one that is in my pocket..Does anybody else do Billy McCombs Whisky from the egg bag and then reappear in your pocket as a matter of interest to me. Thanks..
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Nov 16, 2013, tomsk192 wrote:
My pleasure guys. There's something about producing a glass of liquid.... Smile

I once attended a lecture at a magic convention, Bev Bergeron lectured and during his speech, he removed a shot glass of liquid, and drank it. The a little later he did it again, and again. It blew me away at the time, and I knew the gimmick and trick all along. It was a real mystery and what made it a mystery was the repeat production. I never thought of producing more then one glass. I was the 1st to buy those lecture notes to see his set-up.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Nov 19, 2013, Xpilot wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-11-16 20:26, Bill Hegbli wrote:

Great price... if you don't mind paying $9.50 shipping for a $3.00 piece of rubber.

Really, you only think you need only one.
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2231 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
I seem to recall a routine from the past by Sam Berland that included a clever shot glass.. Im sure one of the great minds here will remember... After over 45 years in magic my memory isn't what it once was
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
senno52
View Profile
Regular user
new york
161 Posts

Profile of senno52
Does anyone know if the Bev Bergeron can be found anywhere? I'd like to produce shot glasses from a paper bag through out my routine. Can anyone recommend any routines I can research that might help or which of the above gimmicks might work best? Thanks

Joe
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Shot Glass Production Comparison (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL