The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Magic Café Tech Help Area » » Browsing our answered posts ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Plexusonfire
View Profile
New user
Morocco
23 Posts

Profile of Plexusonfire
Hello everyone,

In my previous experience of forums, I've almost always found a feature that allows the user to directly browse the topics where he participated and that have new posts (or not). So far, on the Magic Café, I didn't find this feature and had to remember which threads I participated in and look for them individually. So I though I'd come and ask here if the feature exists and I just didn't find it yet (and in this case, where I can find it), or if the feature doesn't exist (and in this case, if it's planned to be added) ?
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
In the upper right corner of the page where it says "you are logged in as" just click on your name. Then when your profile comes up, click on posts in the last 30 days.

You can also access the same place by clicking on avatar. BTW, your avatar was removed because because we must see your face.
Where the magic begins
Plexusonfire
View Profile
New user
Morocco
23 Posts

Profile of Plexusonfire
Thank you Dave, I had just figured out the last posts system and that'll have to do I guess. Thanks for the info about the avatar too, I was wondering why it kept going away. I'll put one now and then I'll take one more related to magic soon. Do I also have to change my username to my real name ? I don't mind doing so, it's just that I can't find a way to do so in the "Edit Profile section".

Best regards,

Saad
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I don't know what you mean by
Quote:
I had just figured out the last posts system and that'll have to do I guess

Are you saying you wanted to see posts older than 30 days? You are limited to a 30 days period right now. You don't have any so it's really not a big deal. In fact you only have 5 posts.

You don't have to use your real name if you don't want to. If you ever want to change your name, you have to post a request in the tech forum. You can't change your name yourself.
Where the magic begins
Plexusonfire
View Profile
New user
Morocco
23 Posts

Profile of Plexusonfire
Thanks for your help, Dave.

What I meant by that is that I was used to having access to the list of topics where I posted and where there are new posts, while the last posts section here doesn't indicate (to my knowledge) if there has been any new reply. But I'm not complaining, don't you worry about me.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
New posts in any forum are indicated by the color of the coffee mugs next to each topic. Red means a post has been made to that forum since the last time you logged in. White cups mean there is nothing new. This is not fool proof and sometimes isn't accurate but for the most part, it is correct.
Where the magic begins
Plexusonfire
View Profile
New user
Morocco
23 Posts

Profile of Plexusonfire
Oh I think we misunderstood each other. I know about the flags (color of the mugs), but they are not visible when you check your own posts in the posts from the last 30 days section :/
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
OK, so you want to see a list of all the topics you posted in and have that list indicate which ones someone else has posted to after your post. If that's it, we do not have that functionality.
Where the magic begins
Plexusonfire
View Profile
New user
Morocco
23 Posts

Profile of Plexusonfire
Yes, that is what I meant. But I'm really OK with it, don't worry. On the other hand, if a manager PMs me the forum template you're using for the code of the website (just the name, I own most of them), I'll try and code a portion implementing this functionality and send it back to you (not before the second half of December though). That is, if the forum is interested.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
We won't be sending out any code information. We have a fully qualified tech team should we ever want to implement something like this in the future.
Where the magic begins
Plexusonfire
View Profile
New user
Morocco
23 Posts

Profile of Plexusonfire
I can perfectly understand that, sir. It was just a suggestion. Thank you for your help =)

If any day my help should be welcome, I would be more than happy to give it =)
Gene
View Profile
Café Forum Developer
Howard City, MI
276 Posts

Profile of Gene
That is definitely on the list of updates. I'm planning to do a major code overhaul this winter and that will be part of it, I just have to figure out which way to do it that works best with the established DB structure. I do appreciate the offer, but the forum software in use here is not public. It exists only here, and only three people have ever seen it.
Somebody kick me off the computer, will ya? Smile Smile
Plexusonfire
View Profile
New user
Morocco
23 Posts

Profile of Plexusonfire
Understood, Gene =) I thought you used a similar common forum template. In this case, good luck =) Still up for help, if needed !
Gene
View Profile
Café Forum Developer
Howard City, MI
276 Posts

Profile of Gene
Gotcha, and thanks. I also wrote a threaded-style forum script back in the day for someone who wanted one that worked as well as this one does. That one's still in use as well.
Somebody kick me off the computer, will ya? Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Magic Café Tech Help Area » » Browsing our answered posts ? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL