The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Knockout Game (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Disturbing, for sure. One does wonder what led up to this. More info at the links below:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/11/18/s......n-court/

http://www.ny1.com/content/news/198895/m......sergeant

Holder’s attorney, Andrew Worgan, said the incident stemmed from an argument between the two at a nearby nightclub, adding that both Holder and Deen were drunk at the time of the incident.

“He remembers walking out of the club, talking to some friends joking around and the he tells me he just doesn’t remember,” Worgan said.

"He was intoxicated," Worgan said. "He just does not remember at the moment, and we'll see where we're going from there."

Worgan also said that Holder is on suicide watch.

"He is really despondent. He's very, very despondent," Worgan said. "When I informed him in the back that the police officer is in a medically induced coma, he went to pieces. He didn't know that."
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
I'd say let's take Holder off suicide watch.

Nice diversionary attempt to ignore OP. Smile

As for my OP, I'm still outraged.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2013-11-19 15:33, RNK wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-11-19 15:17, stoneunhinged wrote:
I neither said that it was no big deal, neither that they are isolated incidents. My only point--truly!--is that this new trend is nothing new. People assault, rape, and murder people. That is an ugly fact. That a few people made a game out of it is hardly something that the media ought to spread.

So it's not the medias job to inform the public that this is going on and that you should be aware? What? Why even have the media then? Are they not instrumental in helping others be made conscious of something that can cause harm even death to others?

Wow. What is this world coming to.....

Your One Trick Pony,
RNK

What media are you talking about?

You're messing with the wrong Café member here. If you truly believe that, say, FOX or CBS is out to save lives, you have your head so deep in the sand that I cannot help you, not with a billion books or statistics. Modern media feeds off of the commercial need to exploit suffering, not to prevent it. If you don't see that, you are hopelessly naive.

Your One Best Buddy,
JJS
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16353 Posts

Profile of tommy
There is nothing new about the game as such, we used to play a same like game when I was a kid. I agree with Jeff so I will not go into detail but we made ourselves faint for fun. Today though somebody puts something up on youtube and it becomes a worldwide craze. The world today is much smaller.

Knowledge is or can be a dangerous thing. Which is why the ancient Egyptians kept many things secret.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Making yourself faint isn't quite the same as punching an unaware person in the back of the head.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16353 Posts

Profile of tommy
If it results in death you have killed someone for fun, so what's the differnce?

Judge by cause not effect. So it is written so let it be done.

There is more one knock out game in fashion that is resulting is death.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
If we are ever to decrease this type of behavior we first need to eliminate the excuses. Why should the fact that Holder voluntarily consumed too much alcohol have any purchase in the defense of his actions?
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
http://www.wilx.com/news/featured/headli......ce=phone

On February 26th a man waiting for his six-year-old daughter to to dropped off from school had no idea he would be the city's first reported victim.

"I saw the van circle twice and the second time three came out. I didn't suspect anything. I hadn't any enemies, or any reason to believe they would be looking to do anything to me."

The victim was attacked by 17-year-old Marvell Weaver. But Weaver did more than try to knock his victim out, he tried to do it with a taser. Luckily for the victim, the taser didn't work and he was able to protect himself with his concealed-carry .40 caliber pistol.

"He shoved something into my side. I wasn't sure what it was. It had some force to it. I wasn't sure if it was a knife or a gun," said the victim.

Weaver was shot twice, in the leg and an inch away from his spine. He's been sentenced to a year in jail for the attack, but he admits he's getting off easy.

"It was just a lesson learned. I wish I hadn't played the game at all," said Weaver.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11174 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2013-11-21 19:15, balducci wrote:

Weaver was shot twice, in the leg and an inch away from his spine. He's been sentenced to a year in jail for the attack, but he admits he's getting off easy.

"It was just a lesson learned. I wish I hadn't played the game at all," said Weaver.

I wish the victim had been a better shot. I have no heart for people like this.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
NY lawmaker thinks this game is serious business. As do I continue to abhor it. It's shameful behavior and shouldn't be tolerated.

Interesting that the Jewish boy forgives them and only wants an apology. Would that the offensive miscreants were that merciful.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/11/21/n......ew-bill/

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
In my world it's simple you.
You take this piece of garbage and you beat him until he needs to be in a medically induced coma. If the officer dies, then you wake him up and beat him again until he dies.

Anyone who wants to start quoting statistics about how this does nothing to prevent crime, ie. the death penalty, is missing the point.

The point is that the world is better off without this filth and his kind. Period. If the officer doesn't die then this thing will one day walk the streets again. In the mean time he'll be fed, clothed, and be entitled to better medical care than most Americans. The cost of trying and imprisoning this animal is obscene, and for what? So he can be rehabilitated? So he can learn to be a good person? Give me a break.
Does it occur to people that these kinds of things are becoming more and more commonplace because these animals know that nothing will happen to them. If anything happens at all.
Note the lawyer angling for his defense, saying he didn't know what he was doing and saying his client is full of remorse. If he is it's not over what he did. It's because he had, for one fleeting instant, a glimpse of what he is and how worthless he is.
I defy anyone to tell me of what value this thing is, or ever will be.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Another one, this time in San Diego....

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Sa......801.html

Another Jewish man in Brooklyn, police are investigating as a hate crime. As they should.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/11/22/4......rooklyn/

Yeah, just a trend. A despicable one.

Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
And this from the Washington Post....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crim......ory.html

Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
And this out of Philadelphia. Ya' gotta' love the quote in the penultimate paragraph from the SEPTA official. Yikes. I wonder how many more few incidents of this we'll continue to see.

http://www.phillymag.com/news/2013/11/21......er-case/

Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Or is the Knockout Game just another racist urban legend?

Quote:
I remember the summer of 2011, a story about a crowd of teenagers at the Wisconsin State Fair randomly attacking fairgoers went viral as a sign of a burgeoning race war. The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel fanned the flames, calling the teenagers "rampaging youths" who caused "mob-like disturbances":

Quote:
"Then around the closing time of 11 p.m., witnesses told the Journal Sentinel, dozens to hundreds of black youths attacked white people as they left the fair, punching and kicking people and shaking and pounding on their vehicles."
"Dozens to hundreds"? When witnesses can't differentiate between 24 and 100, should we really rely on them to speculate whether a crime was racially motivated? One of the reasons the story gained so much traction could have stemmed from the fact that Milwaukee is the most segregated city in the country, and it validated white residents' fear that their black neighbors are dangerous.

Now, the false trend story of black mob violence has cropped up again, as it seems to do annually, in conservative media outlets. (McKay Coppins wrote about this phenomenon in BuzzFeed last year.) The new scare is the "knockout game," in which black youths supposedly attack innocent people just for fun. Conservative pundits decry the MSM for suffering from political correctness and whitewashing crimes perpetrated by black people, but a more reasonable explanation for why most media outlets aren't devoting round-the-clock coverage to the knockout game is that—sorry, Sean Hannity—there is no hard data showing that it's a trend.

An important clarification: the game definitely exists, and has been around for at least a couple of years. I'm not claiming the game doesn't exist. But the idea that it's reached epidemic levels, or that it's only being played by young black people, is a fallacy. As Alan Noble convincingly writes, "Analyzing data is not as simple as watching some YouTube videos and Googling 'knockout game.'" And when it comes to the knockout game's supposed popularity, the data is almost entirely anecdotal:

Quote:
Here’s the fascinating thing about this “spreading” trend: nobody seems to have any evidence that it’s spreading, or that it’s new, or that it’s racially motivated, or that black youths are the ones typically responsible, or that whites are typically targeted. This hasn’t stopped Mark Steyn, Thomas Sowell, and Matt Walsh from describing this specifically as a crime committed by blacks against whites, CNN from claiming that it is “spreading,” or Alec Torres at NRO from say it is “evidently increasing [in] popularity.”

This is precisely the type of story meant to animate the deepest recesses of our lizard brains—"Danger lurks around every corner! Identify your enemy!" At the epicenter of this narrative is Colin Flaherty, a writer for WorldNetDaily who probably has a Google alert set up for "black suspect." He's made it his life's work to report any single crime perpetrated by a black person in the U.S. against a white person. In a recent blog post, he lists as evidence six separate crimes in Philadelphia over the course of two years, which share nothing in similarity except for the fact that they involved black people.

Imagine if another national "journalist" started doing the same for, say, any crime committed in Alabama, or any arson charge in the country. People would start to think Alabama was going through a crime epidemic, or that arson was becoming all the rage with criminals. That would be ridiculous, because it's ridiculous to assume that a few unrelated counts of arson make arson an epidemic. But when you inject race into the equation, it conveniently aligns with the assumptions of people who happen to be racist. That's the sort of twisted logic that justifies why more than half of the U.S. prison population is made up by black and Hispanic people, even though they comprise a quarter of the total population.

Crime happens to every type of person, and is perpetrated by every type of person. What makes the false narrative of the knockout game—or any "black mob violence" story—crop up every year is the fact that some people will always believe the color of someone's skin predisposes him to commit a crime. When a few YouTube videos are able to convince terrified white folks that young black people are dangerous, they may as well assume that all cats can play the keyboard.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16353 Posts

Profile of tommy
Well you can assume that all cats can play the keyboard if you can see that one can do it.

Tommy
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Spin it as you will. Here it's called a hate crime.

http://rt.com/usa/new-york-hate-crime-289/

General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Quote:
On 2013-11-19 02:16, LobowolfXXX wrote:
8th Amendment prohibits cruel and unusual punishment. Currently, it prohibits the death penalty as a sentence for defendants under 18 years of age.

If somebody under the age of 18 commits murder, in my state they can be put on trial as an adult. People have died because of this game and I think I read somewhere some were charged with murder. I don't think it's cruel and unusual punishment to institute the death penalty if one commits one of the "7 deadly sins" one of which is murder. I assume in your state, somebody under the age of 18 can be tried as an adult for certain offenses such as murder. Is this correct Lobo?
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Sorry William, Lobo isn't ignoring you, it's just that he is on vacation for awhile. Many of us have been to that same place, and he'll be back soon.

General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Quote:
On 2013-11-26 01:46, Bob1Dog wrote:
Sorry William, Lobo isn't ignoring you, it's just that he is on vacation for awhile. Many of us have been to that same place, and he'll be back soon.

It's cool! I decided to google it up (the law is interesting even though I am no lawyer) and in some states, for certain offenses, a juvenile can be put on trial as an adult. This may not be the case for all states though. Last I heard, this is the case in my state (state of GA will put juveniles on trial as adults for certain specific offenses such as murder). However, that does not mean that a death sentence can be issued. I would assume this is probably true if any death sentence hypothetically issued to a minor, even if he/she is put on trial as an adult, would violate the federal 8th amendment. But they can still be sent to adult prison if they are convicted after they turn a certain age such as 18 or 21 (they serve time in juvenile detention until they turn a certain age and then are transferred to adult prison to serve out the remainder of their sentence). I think the age to where they can be sent to adult prison varies by state as well.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Knockout Game (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.56 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL