The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Opening number (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cornelius
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
213 Posts

Profile of Cornelius
Well, here's my opening tricks:

With the theme of the Godfather in the background I proceed to take a silk scarf from my pocket, stroke it, and make it vanish. Then, I pull a coin from thin air and show it. Then I make it disappear in my right hand. Then I make it appear in my mouth.
After that, I take a magic hat and show it empty. I then make a magical gesture and remove a bouquet of flowers from it. The music stops playing and I offer the flowers to some girl in the audience.
That's my presentation.

From,
Cornelius. Smile
Jimmy Lee
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
682 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Lee
Any other opening numbers out there?
What do you usually do for your opening trick be it on stage or parlour? Smile
Magically Yours,

Jimmy...
a guy from a tropical island in South East Asia
..oops...where did he disappeared to????
Jarroy
View Profile
New user
Birmingham
17 Posts

Profile of Jarroy
I mostly do close-up on a strictly amateur level. My favourite close-up non card trick is Slydini's one coin routine. I usually follow this by doing glass through table with the coin. It gets a strong reaction and a good finish to the coin trick.

Best,

Jarroy Smile
humblemagician
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of humblemagician
Lately, my opening has simply been to talk a little about how magicians can see things other people do not see. Bla, bla... Then I see a color floating in the air and appear a certain color silk (TT). Then just move on to the next trick. Smile
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5273 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
The opening for my out-of-the-pockets-stand-up-act is simplicity in itself. I produce a 36-inch scarf, bare handed, it is instantly “split into two” and finally a full, stemmed glass of wine is produced from them. Less than 18 seconds and three productions are made, each seemingly impossible. The two scarves and the wine glass come into play in later tricks. This is a very easy (technically speaking) opener, is magical, fast paced, up beat, colorful, and plays much bigger than it is. It takes two scarves, a few rubber bands, some plastic wrap (or latex glove), a bit of bent coat hanger wire, and a wine glass full of colored water is all that is needed to make happen. All items may be picked up at your local Wall Mart (my favorite magic store).

I have also have used a rather neat opening routine where I produce a lit torch from within my jacket. It instantly turns to a 36-inch scarf. Which is then used to produce a 6 inch white candle, which after lit, multiplied to 4 candles, then split to 8-lit candles. It was a good act but fire marshals kept having fits whenever I performed it. So that act is in a box now. Hummm. Maybe it should be revived!

The torch is a beautifully made steel prop (German, made I believe and is similar to a vanishing cane or wand). Its holder keeps the lighter fluid ready for about an hour. The igniter is very low Tec and works like a charm. Crumba, I need to dig this out and start using it again.

There are two opening routines I have used. The first routine I still use and recently (two weeks ago) performed it at a pub in Hilton Head, SC, USA.. I was the act before the band came on.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
magic4U2C
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of magic4U2C
I usually perform to family style crowds using what I refer to as my small scale illusion show. My wife and I both perform together as a team and we needed an opener that utilized us both, got the kids and adults involved and also broke that imaginary wall between the performer and the audience.

My opener works something along this line. I always walk out not from the stage, but from the back of the audience. This is a suprise for them but also serves the purpose of breaking down that wall that exists at the front of the stage.

I walk up to the stage pretending as if I do not even realize that the show has begun or that the audience is even there. It is my wife who taps me on the shoulder and tells me we have company.

At this point, I am holding onto a cloth that I had been using to dust my props off with. I go out into audience and pretend to dust of the kids in the front row. The kids love this as they giggle, laugh and have a good time. This serves a purpose of letting them know it is ok to laugh and have fun and that I am a good guy here to have fun.

I walk on stage where there appears a drawing board on which the magic show and start time have been posted way in advance to the show start. This is an Axtell Expressions drawing board and works wonders for me.

I begin by whiping away the message on the board. Keep in mind that through out this intro, music is playing in the background that is upbest, fun and lively.

I pantomime as I select a child from the audience that I am going to draw a portrait of. Now, as I am a graphic designer and artist in real life, this is quite easy for me and allows me to feel comfortable on stage. I draw the child's portrait and show it to the audience.

It is at this point that the magic happens. The eyes start to move back and forth and the kids howl as they see the drawing come to life. The mouth then moves and the drawing starts to talk. It is the drawing that introduces us to the audience. The drawing acts as an MC introducing the show.

This intro has really worked well for me and has achieved all the things I feel a good intro should have. Hope this gives you some good insight and helps you figure out what you can do in your own shows.
Kyle Peron
Magician / Graphic Designer
E-mail: Magic4u02@aol.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Opening number (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL