The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Señor Wences' complete act. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4208 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Not sure if the Museum knew about this or not, so I emailed them. Would be a shame if Copperfield grabbed this for his personal collection. Would be great to have it available for people to see. Thanks for sharing.
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

KeithS
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of KeithS
Just curious, does anyone know if Norm Nielsen is the man in the "I'm No Dummy" who talks about being gifted all of Senor Wences's props?
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1058 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
I have a friend who is a huge fan of Wences and knew him fairly well. This friend has been threatened with legal action by Michelle Lafong for doing a tribute to Wences in his show. Apparently Lafong claims that Wences gave HER all the props and performance rights to the act. According to this friend, Taly does not believe Lafong has the rights and isn't happy about her use of the props and act. Apparently it's complicated. I don't know any of the principles (except this friend of mine), but I do have an opinion about Lafong's version of Wences act, and I would tend to favor the widow's position on this. Anybody know more than this and willing to share? For the record, Wences is my favorite vent, past or present.
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
Ony Carcamo
View Profile
Special user
Manila, PHILIPPINES
610 Posts

Profile of Ony Carcamo
I have seen videos of Lafong using Wences' Johnny... Is this the original Johnny's body (which she said was given to her by Wences)?
Ony Carcamo
PHILIPPINES

www.onycarcamo.com
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1058 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
That's one of the things I'm wondering about Ony. I wouldn't be surprised if there were several Johnny bodies around. I've seen pictures of Wences over the years and it looks like he used a few different ones. Same with Pedro.
David Pitts
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
4208 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Perhaps the muppet show clip implies a later version of the act and props.?
Nevertheless...a complete set belongs at Vent Haven, the Smithsonian, or Willinger.
Somewhere we can see it.

Mr. Copperfield should buy it for one of the above museums.

Thanks in advance David!
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
The Vent Haven Museum was contacted. Not sure if they plan on bidding or not, but at least they are now aware of the sale.
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

movhcollection
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of movhcollection
If David Copperfield buys it he will buy it for his collection Not for any of the listed people and or museums.
It would be silly to think he would buy it for another person Willinger,
but maybe a very slight chance he buys it to donate to a museum like The Smithsonian.
I believe he has been offered this collection in the past and chose not to buy it Norm and Lupe are looking for a 6 figure price.
There is also interest from over seas.
just my thoughts
marshalldoll
View Profile
Special user
554 Posts

Profile of marshalldoll
I have known Norm Neilson for many years through the New England Magic Collectors Club and have known about this collection for many years. It is way beyond any price I could afford to spend to have in the Ventriloquist Central Collection but I sure would love to have same.
Dan
http://www.ventriloquistcentral.com
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
4208 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Whoa...Hello movhcollection!
You arrived exactly on time.

Perhaps Vent Haven could do some crowd funding... a campaign to purchase the Wences props?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d79nhmhDWA

OR am I still thinking silly? Smile
movhcollection
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

I wouldn't think its out of the realm of possibility to make it happen.. But most likely it will sadly sell to someone who will hide it away from the community and we can't blame them for that. Norm is a hell of a guy but he sure wants a hell of a price.
James Arnott
View Profile
New user
London
54 Posts

Profile of James Arnott
Norm is wonderful, and I have the upmost respect for him, but six figures? Really?!
Circusman
View Profile
Special user
Kent, England.
555 Posts

Profile of Circusman
Anyone know any more about this ?

I ask because I own a Wences sketch which I believe is rare as it has been signed TWICE.

Thanks,

Bobby.
movhcollection
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

The asking price is so high because of the large amount of memorabilia and orignal used items he has... not only does he have Wences's main charachters. He also has Wences's first figure Atilino and quite a few others including Ohno the Clown..
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1058 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
I'm reviving this thread because the friend to whom I refer earlier in the thread sent me some clarification and correction on my version of the Wences-LaFong thing. Here's what he told me:

"I needed to point out a couple errors... I was threatened by LaFong's agent, not her herself. & I was not doing a Wences tribute. I was using the same TYPE of puppet as "Johnny", but he looked totally different & sounded more like Charlie McCarthy. Plus, I never did any Wences material in my act, out of respect for my idol. That puppet now resides at ventriloquist central. My original that mom made will most likely end up at vent haven. & it wasn't Tally who wasn't happy, it was Wences' granddaughter, who I was internet friends with for a long time, & who gifted me a historic silver spoon that was one of Wences' prized possessions, but who had very serious health problems, & since I'm not getting any answer to emails, I'm fearing the worst about her. I believe the Johnny body she uses is one he had, but as you said in a post after, I believe there were several made over the years. & just so you know, Copperfield did end up with the Wences puppets etc that were for sale. I've seen 1 or 2 photos of them in his museum. Tally sent Norm a trunk that contained Wences' whole act. LaFong I believe got duplicates. I would venture to assume that Copperfield owns the older ones."

After he wrote me about this I remembered our original conversation a little better, and I remembered thinking how ridiculous it was that a representative of a protege of Wences, would ask a ventriloquist to cease and desist from using a style of puppet that was in use long before Wences made it popular. The glove or fist puppet like Wences "Johnny" goes way back. It would be like having a protege of Bergen telling someone to stop using a hard figure carved of wood because they have all the rights to that style of puppet. Nonsense. For the record, my friend chose not to fight this, and said LaFong's agent was actually very nice and all, but wouldn't budge on this. It still makes me angry that they think they own the rights to a particular type of puppet that's been around for at least two hundred years.
David Pitts
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Señor Wences' complete act. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL