The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Flash Pen by Alan Wong (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1583 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
Quote:
On Apr 2, 2014, JoeJoe wrote:
It is an LED light, and is indeed very bright. Not as bright as a FISM Flash, however being as how it is not concealed under clothing the actual end flash is about the same.

The DVD is rather boring, but in a good way. This isn't the excitement of just getting a new trick, this is more like going to a college class and learning a lot of great information - more than you'll ever actually use and apply. Greg Wilson's magic mind is brilliant and he covers a lot of ground with things like the Flippant Move and the Tilt and the Strike Vanish. Watching this DVD is a real education by an accomplished professor.

I give it a thumbs up. I think the hardest part of this device is not over using it, don't under estimate the amount of attention a single flash creates.

-JoeJoe

Thanks for kind comments. As Alan's friend I am happy to know positive feedback.

I first witness the effect months BEFORE it release. Being looking for FISM flash after it discontinue for years I saw flash pen as improvement in many ways.

Well, over the last couple months I kept saw some kind of negative feedback compare the brightness level with similar products in the market.

I can understand that some might not full satisfy with it but I believe that it has its own potential.

I still recall when I read one of the ideas in Rick Merill lecture notes about FISM flash, well if you know what I mean you can apply it now.

Just my 2 cents.
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
PendletonThe3rd
View Profile
Special user
698 Posts

Profile of PendletonThe3rd
Got this recently and I like it a lot.

The pen is well made and is super bright. So it definitely lives up to its namesake and does what it is supposed to.

As for the DVD, the ideas Greg Wilson teaches are plentiful, fun, and inspiring. It's almost like your part of a brainstorm session as he and others riff on possible ideas and uses for the pen. Very cool.

My only gripe on the teaching was that he said he was going to get into the strike vanish more and didn't really...he just performed it (unless I missed the instruction?). No biggie though as there are numerous other resources to learn it and get a better handle on it. Overall, though, the instructions are spot on and presented playfully which is nice.

Also, something to keep in mind, for those considering this, is that the button to make the pen flash is (seemingly) placed where it is in order to make it more conducive for "flashing" when vanishing other objects like a coin, ball, etc.

As a result, it's a bit tougher to set off when doing manipulation or vanishes with the actual pen itself. Not saying this is a bad thing, or that it's impossible to use it for pen manipulation/vanishes as Im sure with more practice and some more thought , it's more than doable.

Just something to keep in mind as your considering its uses...as a "wand" to enhance the vanishing of other random objects, it's more than perfect.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5305 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Another tip: Be careful where you put the flash pen!!

I received mine about two weeks ago and already pretty much destroyed it. Smile I had laid it down on my close-up mat on a card table (practicing!) and then was looking through some file folders with scripts in them. I stupidly laid a file folder on the mat - but on top of the pen. A little later - well after I had put the folder aside - I tried to pick up the pen and it was stuck to the mat. Really stuck! Had to cut away a little of the mat. Confused at first I realized that the folder had depressed the button and the lens was facing the mat. No light noticeable from under the folder. By the time I moved the folder the lens apparently got so hot it had melted into the mat!

Still usable - it lights up fine - but the lens hole is now about three times its former size. Live and learn.

Thank you.

Jim
PendletonThe3rd
View Profile
Special user
698 Posts

Profile of PendletonThe3rd
Yeah, that light and heat can get pretty intense but wow, can't believe that happened! I guess it could have been worse but sorry to hear about your mat and messed up pen!
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Brŕth
3642 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Quote:
On May 22, 2014, J-Mac wrote:
Another tip: Be careful where you put the flash pen!!

I received mine about two weeks ago and already pretty much destroyed it. Smile I had laid it down on my close-up mat on a card table (practicing!) and then was looking through some file folders with scripts in them. I stupidly laid a file folder on the mat - but on top of the pen. A little later - well after I had put the folder aside - I tried to pick up the pen and it was stuck to the mat. Really stuck! Had to cut away a little of the mat. Confused at first I realized that the folder had depressed the button and the lens was facing the mat. No light noticeable from under the folder. By the time I moved the folder the lens apparently got so hot it had melted into the mat!

Still usable - it lights up fine - but the lens hole is now about three times its former size. Live and learn.

Thank you.

Jim

Thanks for shedding light on potential problems here.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5305 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Mostly user error. And I know better, too. Smile

Jim
micwize
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of micwize
I like the flah pen but less is more I think. I think it is handy to use in place of a wand when switched with a sharpie. I think like has been said before though that you need to be careful how you carry it as it has no on off switch so will turn on whenever pressed, whether in your pocket or a bag
pseudomagician
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of pseudomagician
Does anyone have contact information for Alan Wong? I just got a Flash Pen and I like it's possibilities. It's not a trick in itself, I don't think, but lends itself to enhancing effects.
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1334 Posts

Profile of barts185
Is anyone else having issues with a recent flash pen, or one that has stopped working.

I only bought one recently. I had not used it more than still playing with it every now and then figuring out how to insert it into some effects.

It stopped working. I contacted the company and they sent me a replacement one, which came straight from Murphy's. It was dead on arrival. I fully expect the company to do the right thing again.

But, getting two pens which have issues in a row, I felt it was reasonable to ask if I've been extremely unlucky, or if other people have had issues.

Thanks.
ursmagicbalu
View Profile
Special user
Tamil Nadu, India
826 Posts

Profile of ursmagicbalu
I recently got this pen. It works only when plugged to the supply.
Not working with battery
“It’s not what you do that matters, or even how you do it;
it’s what the spectators perceive you as doing that matters.
That’s the MAGIC they’ll remember.”
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4256 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Such a cash grab.
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1323 Posts

Profile of rmendez
I own two of them and both came charged and lasted until the battery was drained but, unfortunately, will no longer hold a charge after charging. Like previously mentioned, they only work now while plugged in. They were awesome in performance while they functioned but are useless now.
Martin.Lester
View Profile
Inner circle
1018 Posts

Profile of Martin.Lester
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2017, rmendez wrote:
I own two of them and both came charged and lasted until the battery was drained but, unfortunately, will no longer hold a charge after charging. Like previously mentioned, they only work now while plugged in. They were awesome in performance while they functioned but are useless now.

That Explains why Penguin is now selling them for $22.50 another case of Looks Good and has very little long term use
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1323 Posts

Profile of rmendez
Doubtful that they will last more than one charge.
AJ MAJIC
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of AJ MAJIC
I guess I got lucky.
Mine is a year old and works/charges great😉
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1323 Posts

Profile of rmendez
I may have to give them another try!!!
micwize
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of micwize
Just a quick post to say mine is still working fine! must of had it at least 3 years?
AJ MAJIC
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of AJ MAJIC
Yeah, mines still working too:-)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Flash Pen by Alan Wong (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL