The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Dr. Who Fans - Where to Begin? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I am a fan of British television, but I have never watched an episode of Dr. Who. I understand it is turning fifty years old.

I would like to watch some of the series, but I do not want to watch all fifty years.

Where would be a good place to start to get a good "feel" for the show?
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I would love to tell you to go back 50 years or so and start at the beginning. If you have the time to do it, I would stand by that.. Most people don't have that much time so I would suggest going back to 2005 when the show re-started.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
First you have to take a drink. Smile Some won't get this response.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
The BBC/BBC America has been running specials for the last few months on all the doctors. They show a half hour about each doctor, then show two episodes featuring that doctor. I've never really watched Doctor Who before, but those have made me into a fan. Looking forward to 11/23 now Smile
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Check out the Adventure in Space and Time for a good introduction.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I really liked Ten and Eleven best for "New Who" Doctors. Lots of "New Who 'Purists'" say that's it's criminal not to start with Nine. Nine's alright, pretty underrated, but I never thought he was the best introduction to The Doctor. Just my opinion. I really liked the very first episode with the first Doctor and then the second series where the Daleks are first introduced.
If you can find it, what Redshirt was talking about is "The Doctors Revisited." It's a collection of "Doctor-umentaries" about each Doctor which are all followed by what the makers considered the vital episodes for that Doctor.
One and Eleven are tied for my favorite Doctor, followed by a tie from everyone except Colin Baker.
Also, IMO, Eight was a good Doctor cast in a crap movie.

Now, there's also the non-canon Doctor, Peter Cushing. He starred in two Doctor Who movies but is not an official Doctor as far as canon goes.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Start with Google's Dr. Whoogle today Smile
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I would recommend finding a Doctor/companion you like and start there. Sample as many as possible. Each is unique in their own way. Most don't go much further back than Baker and that iconic scarf.

Take small samples and go from there.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Right you are Danny! Tom Baker was the man... I mean the Doctor.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Doctor Who used to be my neighbour. Jon Pertwee, he was cool friendly fellow. He dressed and spoke the same like and it was magical seeing him walking about the town. I thought the show was silly.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
BBC America's showing Doctor Who episodes and specials pretty from now through the whole weekend, because of the Day of the Doctor special. Guess you can watch the channel to get your fill.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Last night I began with "Season 1" which, obviously, is not really Season 1. It was the episode about the plastic people, and was very interesting. I may not be "hooked" yet, but I will continue watching.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I'd start with Tom Baker unless you have access to some of the newly found Patrick Troughton episodes (I do not but the little I've seen of him tells me they would be a hoot).

Sometimes the Dr. Character is more fun than the writing (Like the Sylvester McCoy episodes) and just expect to hate what they put the companions through as far as tripping and needing help and such.

Still, great fun and I'm a big fan.

Once you've seen a few you'll relax and enjoy them or quit them entirely.

There are some I don't like so much like Colin Baker and any episode with Perry as the companion (because of her whiny "American" accent).

David Tennant is one of the best.

I have not seen all of the Dr.s.

Have Fun, I wish I could see them all for the first time again.

-Mary Mowder
Tree
View Profile
Loyal user
Wiggle Wiggle
295 Posts

Profile of Tree
Watch "An Adventure in Space and Time"
It's a great movie about the Dr Who series, and the
people who made it happen.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2013-11-22 08:01, ClintonMagus wrote:
I am a fan of British television, but I have never watched an episode of Dr. Who. I understand it is turning fifty years old.

I would like to watch some of the series, but I do not want to watch all fifty years.

Where would be a good place to start to get a good "feel" for the show?

They say your first Doctor is always the best one. But I actually think you might want to start with Tom Baker. All of his episodes are available. I've seen "An Unearthly Child" which is a struggle to get through (although I did like the "trial" where the Doctor proves what happened to the old lady.) All I've seen of Patrick Troughton is "The Two Doctors" where he played off of Colin Baker's more caustic, know-it-all Doctor. I haven't seen any of Jon Pertwee, I understand he's very good.

But start with 4 (Tom Baker) and see if you're intrigued enough to go back and look at some of the earlier stories.

Mary, Peri would have been "whiny" no matter what her accent, the Doctor she had to deal with was rather overbearing. Oddly enough, the producers didn't know she wasn't American when she auditioned.

The only Doctor whose stories I have trouble getting through is 5 (Peter Davidson). I don't know why, I just couldn't get into his stories or his take on the character.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Just got to David Tennant.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Oh you are in for a ride!

I've just seen; "An Adventure in Time and Space" which is a fictionalized rendition of the creation of "Dr. Who."
The producer was the first woman producer at the BBC and the director was the first East Indian director at the BBC, both of them were expected to fail, the BBC at one point put the "kill order" for the series; finish the four episodes we contracted for and you're done. Then they did the Daleks episode. The producer and director had to move on to other things and William Hartnell, his health failing, was on the show with strangers. Finally, it became clear that the show would have to go on without him and the last scene is him meeting Patrick Trouton. There's a heart breaking (heart warming?) moment at the end as "Hartnell" is preparing to shoot his last scene in the TARDIS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFSO0OCX-Xk

On a funnier note; Peter Davison (Doctor #5) has done a half hour skit about him, Colin Baker (#6) and Sylvester McCoy (#7) conspiring to figure out some way to sneak into the 50th Anniversary shooting when it becomes obvious no one is going to return their calls to appear officially.

This is just the trailer;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI5Py96KJ54
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2013-11-25 20:52, ClintonMagus wrote:
Just got to David Tennant.

The Library episode has one of my favorite lines from him.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Dr. Who Fans - Where to Begin? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL