The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Catch this if you can! » » Venture a Guess! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1239 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
Does anyone have a reasonable estimate as to how many 5 ball jugglers there are in the world?
From the Encouraging Magic of...

Tony Thomas

www.magictonythomas.com
esther_scheffer
View Profile
Veteran user
the netherlands
316 Posts

Profile of esther_scheffer
Quite a lot Smile
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
More now than there was 17-years-ago when I first learnt to juggle 5 balls.

It was considered quite a feat back then. Now it seems to be pretty much the base standard for any serious juggler.

At the British Juggling Convention you can hit about 50 jugglers in the 5-ball endurance.

The convention sees around 700 people attend. If we take this as a cross-section of juggling as a whole in the UK then we find that it's about 7% of jugglers who can do 5-balls solidly.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1239 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
I was thinking of using the information in a routine. Throwing out a number of people in the world who can do three balls, four balls, and now five balls. I realize it will be really ball park, but I was wondering what an educated guess would be. If 7% of all jugglers can do a solid 5 ball, how many "jugglers do you think there are?

Tony Thomas

www.magictonythomas.com
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1239 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
Jugglers In The World - Routine in Process... I am totally shooting from the hip with these numbers. Do y'all have any information that would make this more accurate? Do you think I am in the ball park or way off base?

So, I am told there are approx. 7 Billion People in the World
And I understand that 25% of people can Juggle 3 Balls.
Raise your hand if you can juggle 3 balls. So, where are you jugglers?
This means, 1.75 Billion People Can do what I am doing right now...
So, now you are thinking, why am I watching this...

But wait, of the 1.75 Billion that can juggle,
Only 25% of these would consider themselves serious jugglers.
Yes, jugglers can be serious! Seriously Goofy!
Which means, only 437,500,000 are serious jugglers, Seriously!

But wait, of the serious jugglers in the world
I understand that approx. only half do them can juggle 4 Balls.
Which means that only 218,750,000 people can do this...
(Begin juggling 4 Balls)
Ohhhhh, Ahhhhhh...

Now, of the 4 Ball Jugglers in the World,
I understand that only 7% of can Juggle 5 Balls,
Considered the holy grail of juggling,
Taking these special jugglers to the head of the class.
Yes, jugglers go to class! We're not stupid, you know!
This means that only 15,312,500 people in the world can do this...
(Begin Juggling 5 Balls)

15 Million people can do this? Really!

Tony Thomas

www.magictonythomas.com
satellite23
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of satellite23
I'm starting to work on 4 ball. But really, I might not ever get to five. I just use juggling as an attraction for my magic. Sure, I can do simple tricks with clubs, silks, etc, but nothing serious.

As for the topic: probably alot, more than I would care to guess. Almost everybody who I work with (serious about juggling of course) can do 5 with ease or little trouble.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
So, continuing on from my last post. At larger conventions like the EJC you'll see about 2000 people attend. Of these you'll probably see 40 people enter the 7-ball endurance. So that's approximately 2% of all jugglers who can do 7 balls solidly.

In the practice hall of the EJC you'll also see about 20 people throwing up 9 balls. Of those actually juggling them I'd guess at about 10 - 15. But of those doing 9 solidly I can think of about 15 jugglers worldwide. At a push I'd guess a maximum of 30 people worldwide currently juggling 9 comfortably.

But of course if you're going to be doing a routine based on the number of jugglers doing 5 and the numbers don't stack up then simply make it up. It's a story after all, so you have some artistic license.

The only rule you want to try and follow is to make sure you're the only person in the room doing 5. It's why Iearnt 7. I was finding more and more people doing 4 that at some point a 5 was inevitable. So far it's not happened, but I don't think it'll be long.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
The other thing is how are you judging "able to juggle 5".

If it's qualify, then my estimate of 7% would be about right. But if it's at a level where they can stand on stage and do it every night for 100 shows without dropping then I'd say the number would be more like 3-4%.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Catch this if you can! » » Venture a Guess! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL