The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Re-starting magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Creanada
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of Creanada
I'm guessing this is the right place to post this, because I could be classed as a beginner.
I started learning magic around 6 months ago but stopped after a couple of months for various reasons. Now I want to start again but I'm not sure where to learn from. I've learned most of your basic sleights from an Illusionist video and I recently aquired the Huggard books, RRTCM and so on along with a Richard Kaufman, Basic Card Magic video.
Thanks for the help, and Merry Christmas to all!
Michael
dreidy
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
156 Posts

Profile of dreidy
If you can, learn from another magician. When I got back into magic I found that one of the local stores ran magic classes, so I enrolled in them. Not only do you get to learn some effects with hands-on assistance, but you alsoe get to meet other local magicians; I've learned just as much from them as I did from the lessons.

If you can't find a local shop, what about one of the magic societies, most of them will accept serious beginners.

David.
treysdaddy
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of treysdaddy
The Mark Wilson Complete Course in Magic was the first book I bought and still refer to it regularly. It will show you the basics in many different areas of magic. It is also pretty inexpensive at around $20.
Bill
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
I'll second this recommendation. The book has recently been republished and gives a good grounding in all areas of magic. It is well written and illustrated and was more expensive when it was first released. You can't go wrong with this book. Amazon can supply.

Paul.
Chout
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Chout
I just recently also had to re-learn magic. I was big into magic during the summer, but when school started up again, I slowly got preoccupied. When I wanted to start again, I just warmed up by performing simple tricks to my parents (who are so easily fooled and give good feedback), and in no time at all I was hooked agin.
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Another vote for Mark Wilsons complete corse in magic. You might want to stop by a used bookstore, I was at one a while back and they had 3 or 4 of them in excellent condition for like 10 bucks.
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
Aperazor
View Profile
Loyal user
Akron,Ohio
244 Posts

Profile of Aperazor
I bought Mark Wilson's book the other day at Borders Books for $20 and would have loved to find it cheaper but I wanted it now! (Typical American spoiled brat) LOL
But at that price it is still a steal.
Also found both Bobo's coin book as well as The Royal card book under $10 each.
There is an enormous amount of excellent information here for under $40.
In my opinion these books are some of the best buys in the magic world.

Happy Holidays
Nick Zender
Creanada
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of Creanada
Thanks a lot for all the help guys!! I've ordered myself a copy of Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic and I've rooted out my RRTCM so in all, I'm looking forward to getting back into magic!
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Don't forget Henry Hay's Amateur Magician's Handbook. It is available at most public libraries. This great book will not only teach you the basic sleights but also gives a brief history of Magic and tips on showmanship and management as well.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Re-starting magic? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL