The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » President Kennedy believed that humans came from the ocean (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16363 Posts

Profile of tommy
The Afrian ocean?

I think we came from the sun personally.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2928 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I think it's "earth to earth, ashes to ashes, dust to dust"

Only fish should go back in the ocean.

Tom
The Daycare Magician Book
https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/amazekids/the-daycare-magician/

When you come to the point where you have no need to impress anybody, your freedom will begin.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20998 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Man you guys and your agendas.

In the BEDROOM?!!!!

Come on that was funny.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16363 Posts

Profile of tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1349 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
Well, if you don't stand for something....you'll fall for anything.

Mark
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2013-11-26 17:14, Mark Boody Illusionist wrote:
Well, if you don't stand for something....you'll fall for anything.

Mark

Likewise, if you don't understand something, you'll also fall for anything, regardless of what you stand for.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16363 Posts

Profile of tommy
The ship pulls into its “berth” and ties to the “dock.” The Captain has to provide the port authorities with a “certificate of manifest” declaring the products he has brought. Through a legal loophole the royals have created, US citizens are considered property of the queen under British Maritime law. Since we are born of our mother’s water, from her “birth canal,” we are thereby a maritime product, a “shipped” commodity. Our mothers were delivering a product under maritime law and that’s why we are born in a “delivery room.”

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/sociop......cy36.htm

Tommy
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
176 Posts

Profile of R.S.
I recommend "Your Inner Fish: A Journey into the 3.5-Billion-Year History of the Human Body" by Neil Shubin.

http://www.amazon.com/Your-Inner-Fish-Jo......07277453

"Fish paleontologist Shubin illuminates the subject of evolution with humor and clarity in this compelling look at how the human body evolved into its present state. Parsing the millennia-old genetic history of the human form is a natural project for Shubin, who chairs the department of organismal biology and anatomy at the University of Chicago and was co-discoverer of Tiktaalik, a 375-million-year-old fossil fish whose flat skull and limbs, and finger, toe, ankle and wrist bones, provide a link between fish and the earliest land-dwelling creatures. Shubin moves smoothly through the anatomical spectrum, finding ancient precursors to human teeth in a 200-million-year-old fossil of the mouse-size part animal, part reptile tritheledont; he also notes cellular similarities between humans and sponges. Other fossils reveal the origins of our senses, from the eye to that wonderful Rube Goldberg contraption the ear. Shubin excels at explaining the science, making each discovery an adventure, whether it's a Pennsylvania roadcut or a stony outcrop beset by polar bears and howling Arctic winds. I can imagine few things more beautiful or intellectually profound than finding the basis for our humanity... nestled inside some of the most humble creatures that ever lived, he writes, and curious readers are likely to agree."

Ron
:)
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20998 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
IN THE BEDROOM!

Can't you guys ever put away your squabbling? NOBODY HAS EVER CHANGED THEIR POSITION BY A FRACTION HERE!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16363 Posts

Profile of tommy
I have. I used to think we came from Mars.

Tommy
Peter McMillan
View Profile
Special user
St. George, Utah
502 Posts

Profile of Peter McMillan
After seeing Bob Cassidy in action at Mindvention, I would advise anyone looking to disagree with him about anything to save your words, typed or spoken. You are just spinning your wheels. His is the only opinion he considers and it is perfect.
Spiritus Dictum Artifacts ~ Tools of the Craft for Serious Workers http://petemcmillan.wixsite.com/sd-artifacts/artifacts
~
www.SantaPeteUtah.com
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5731 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I came in the bedroom.

Just sayin'... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20998 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2013-11-27 00:07, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
I came in the bedroom.

Just sayin'... Smile

FINALLY someone willing to derail a pointless argument with me! Thank ya my brotha!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5731 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-11-27 00:14, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-11-27 00:07, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
I came in the bedroom.

Just sayin'... Smile

FINALLY someone willing to derail a pointless argument with me! Thank ya my brotha!

I want to come from the ocean but I think it might hurt.

:wow:
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2013-11-26 23:59, Peter McMillan wrote:
After seeing Bob Cassidy in action at Mindvention, I would advise anyone looking to disagree with him about anything to save your words, typed or spoken. You are just spinning your wheels. His is the only opinion he considers and it is perfect.

I'd respectfully suggest that you're full of it. Not surprised that you would stoop to name-calling, though.

(Don't recall seeing you at MINDvention, either.)

Here's what other people thought:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&start=0
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4168 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
About 6 years ago, we found out our daughter had scoliosis - curvature of the spine.

We ended up taking her to a hospital very renowned for scoliosis - the source, and I mean *the* recognized source for scoliosis research and treatment.

After the examination, the Dr. explained to us the situation, and discussed options based on the possible progression of the curvature of the spine. None of it was particularly pleasant.

I asked about chiropractic, knowing that it dealt with spine issues. The doctor smiled, suggested we would be wasting our time - specifically saying that there wasn't a shred of evidence that chiropractic care would be capable of anything.

Nevertheless, I asked around and got a good recommendation for a chiropractor. After talking with him myself, he said, "Bring her in."

1 month later, as a result of standard adjustments and some very simple exercises he gave her to do, her spine became completely straight, and has remained so to this day without further treatments or exercises. In other words, her condition had been cured.

Last year, a friend's daughter was discovered to have scoliosis. No matter how I pleaded for them to consider at least visiting that same chiropractor, they would not hear of it. What actually happened to my daughter was of no account to them, as it wasn't what the experts in the field said would or could be effective. Their daughter lives with the condition, still.

Science is great - this cannot be overemphasized - and its advances have been wonderful and life-saving in many fields and in many ways. But in the case above, the very top of the heap considered only one path to be valid and correct, and regarded what ended up being the answer - something so very simple - as near laughable. Who has heard of such a thing? Well, it happens.

Even at the top of the heap or among the broadest think-tank you will find people who have their own presuppositions, prejudices, desires, etc...

This is true in both science and religion, btw. There must be examination and study - but both must remain open and honest, and free from the above qualities...and people who can do that consistently are VERY few and far between.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
176 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:

Sorry - I gotta disagree with you on that one.

Ron
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:

That's a really cheap shot. It certainly doesn't fit under the category of "magicians helping magicians". Disagree with me all day long, and call me stupid and a bad American and evil and a pederast. But anything other than constructive criticism regarding my performance or public persona is just way out of line.

It's a sign of Bob's gentlemanliness and graciousness that he himself didn't call you out on your ugly, ungentlemanly, and ungracious comment.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2013-11-27 05:06, Chessmann wrote:

Even at the top of the heap or among the broadest think-tank you will find people who have their own presuppositions, prejudices, n open and honest, and free from the above qualities...and people who can do that consistently are VERY few and far between.

Those at the "top of the heap" tend to be at the top because of their utter confidence in their position. It's what makes them influential.

But those at the top are just as human as the rest of us.

Except for Bob Cassidy, of course.

:jump:
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
176 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On 2013-11-27 05:06, Chessmann wrote:
About 6 years ago, we found out our daughter had scoliosis - curvature of the spine.

We ended up taking her to a hospital very renowned for scoliosis - the source, and I mean *the* recognized source for scoliosis research and treatment.

After the examination, the Dr. explained to us the situation, and discussed options based on the possible progression of the curvature of the spine. None of it was particularly pleasant.

I asked about chiropractic, knowing that it dealt with spine issues. The doctor smiled, suggested we would be wasting our time - specifically saying that there wasn't a shred of evidence that chiropractic care would be capable of anything.

Nevertheless, I asked around and got a good recommendation for a chiropractor. After talking with him myself, he said, "Bring her in."

1 month later, as a result of standard adjustments and some very simple exercises he gave her to do, her spine became completely straight, and has remained so to this day without further treatments or exercises. In other words, her condition had been cured.

Last year, a friend's daughter was discovered to have scoliosis. No matter how I pleaded for them to consider at least visiting that same chiropractor, they would not hear of it. What actually happened to my daughter was of no account to them, as it wasn't what the experts in the field said would or could be effective. Their daughter lives with the condition, still.

Science is great - this cannot be overemphasized - and its advances have been wonderful and life-saving in many fields and in many ways. But in the case above, the very top of the heap considered only one path to be valid and correct, and regarded what ended up being the answer - something so very simple - as near laughable. Who has heard of such a thing? Well, it happens.

Even at the top of the heap or among the broadest think-tank you will find people who have their own presuppositions, prejudices, desires, etc...

This is true in both science and religion, btw. There must be examination and study - but both must remain open and honest, and free from the above qualities...and people who can do that consistently are VERY few and far between.

First, I am thrilled that your daughter is healthy today. Chiropractic however, remains in the domain of quackery. It's based on a premise that simply has no basis in reality and has never been demonstrated. That is, the idea that our body's have a flow of "innate intelligence", and that a disruption in it (via "subluxations") causes all disease (contrary to the well established germ theory of disease). But, show 10 chiropractors the same x-ray and you'll probably get 10 different subluxation diagnoses. Furthermore, chiropractic was founded in 1895 by Daniel David Palmer, a grocer and dabbler of magnetic therapies. He founded chiropractic when he claims to have cured a deaf man by a simple manipulation of the man's spine. That's quite fantastic, as there are NO connections whatsoever between the spine and the ears. And furthermore, if it is somehow possible to completely cure deafness via spinal manipulations, then why are there still deaf people? You would think that by now word would have gotten around and deaf people all over would be flocking to chiropractors. Anyway, and despite not being an MD, Palmer set up shop with his newfangled disease healing methodology. Additionally, many chiropractors embrace other forms of quackery, such as homeopathic, acupuncture, naturopathy, reflexology, etc.

In your daughter's case, the exercise was probably what benefitted her the most. But of course, that could have been done in the absence of any chiropractic woo-woo. Plus, people's conditions generally change over time. Sometimes for the worse, but also sometimes for the better. I'd also like to know how many scoliosis patients get treated by chiropractors every year and DON'T improve. The bottom line is that the core claims of chiropractic have never been empirically substantiated. AND THERE ARE STILL DEAF PEOPLE. Anyway, glad your daughter is doing well. Smile

Regarding the scientific method, the only correction for flawed science is... more and better science! There simply is no other way to reliably test and validate our hypotheses about how the world works.

For more info about chiropractic:
http://quackwatch.org/

Ron
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » President Kennedy believed that humans came from the ocean (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL