The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » President Kennedy believed that humans came from the ocean (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I've never had a conflict between faith and reason. I always had faith- faith in what Justice Learned Hand called "the eventual supremacy of reason."
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
"Chiropractic however, remains in the domain of quackery."

From my personal experience, I would disagree...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2013-11-27 06:49, mastermindreader wrote:
I've never had a conflict between faith and reason. I always had faith- faith in what Justice Learned Hand called "the eventual supremacy of reason."

I have faith that God gave man reason. Therefore ignoring it is just stupid.

But all bad jokes aside (since Paker and I are the only ones who participate. ) many mainstream religious belief systems do not deny science at all.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

That's a fact, Danny. Roman Catholicism is a good example. It does not deny the evolution of man.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
God doesn't really care.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7529 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On 2013-11-27 07:06, Mr. Mystoffelees wrote:
"Chiropractic however, remains in the domain of quackery."

From my personal experience, I would disagree...

I too disagree- I have seen so many cases of people who after talking with a doctor saying, "Take this pill and that pill and you should be ok" decided to try a chiropractor and never had to take the pill. Not to mention- so many others who were on medication/inhalers etc... able to throw them away due to chiropractor care. I can even use myself as an example- after a grueling knee injury a doctor told me that I was done playing softball for a minimum of a year, maybe longer and may need surgery. After getting adjusted and my knee worked on for 3 months I was able to go back and play the last part of the same year!!! Second story- I had trigger thumb from splitting wood by hand with a maul for three consecutive years. The doctor said I would need surgery and the chiropractor said "No you don't, you just need stim to break up the calcium deposits that have formed around the scare tissue and re-attachnment of the ligaments". I chose the chiropractor and within 8 months- the trigger finger was gone! Now, can they solve everything? Absolutely not and a smart(good) chiropractor will admit this. Lastly, can getting adjusted regularly help prevent sickness or help heal a problem area in your body- absolutely! I am proof. I will admit, you have to find a good one. Though this applies to everything- even Doctors.

RNK
Check out Bafflingbob.com
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Some chiropractic techniques seem to have recently come more into the "mainstream" medical field than they once were. We have an "almost daughter" who was very sick for more than a year. Experts everywhere, including Mayo Clinic told her that it was all in her head. She had almost quit eating completely. She went to a "medical chiropractor" and he was able to get her feeling good enough that her appetite returned, and she returned to a normal life.

On the other hand, a friend went to a chiropactor because he was short of breath and afraid of going to a "regular" doctor. The chiropractor treated him for a hundred things. He never got any better and eight months later he died from undiagnosed lung cancer.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7529 Posts

Profile of RNK
After witnessing the birth of my three sons- to say we came from the oceans to me is absurd. Humans are the most complex and smartest creatures in the world with the most profound DNA make up than ANY other creature on this earth. That is why we are at the top of the food chain and why we will always be at the top of the food chain. No other animal including ones from the ocean will ever come close to being able to comprehend/learn as a human can with the right training. If you train an animal the same way you train a human, the human will always be on top. I have studied paleontology in my graduate studies and there has never been that final skeleton/skull found that links us from the Australopithecus to current humans.

RNK
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
To say we come from the oceans does not discount God. Just sayin.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Yes, we come from the ocean.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

ALL life on earth originated in the oceans.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Science can’t explain everything and to think otherwise is not to elevate science, but to twist it.
Science, by its very nature, is never capable of proving the non-existence of anything.

Science has a long way to go before it becomes the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
There is always some uncertainty associated with scientific conclusions.

Tom
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Science is not truth- it is the empirical search for truth.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Science is the empirical search for understanding things using the scientific method. The method itself is limited to finding to what can be revealed by that method. "Truth" has nothing to do with it.

I've posted many times before about the limits of science, so if anyone is interested they could do a search. No need to re-write all that crap.

Relevant is only this: while I do not doubt the basics of evolution, I think that one of the limitations of science is that it cannot properly define "humanness", because science does not lend itself to that kind of definition. But without defining "humanness", it is entirely impossible to explain how "humanness" evolved. The best science can do is define homo sapiens sapiens, and leave it at that.

"Truth" is something similar. A proper scientist cannot tell me what "truth" is, any more than he or she can tell me what "humanness" is. Now, if a scientist wants to put on a philosopher's hat and start philosophizing, that's cool with me. They do it all the time, actually, and they do it quite well, too. But then they aren't being scientific any more. They are philosophizing.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I don't mind people seeking the truth. I simply doubt tyose who claim to have found it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Science is not scientists and spouting what scientists say is no empirical search for truth.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7529 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On 2013-11-27 10:37, TomBoleware wrote:
Science can’t explain everything and to think otherwise is not to elevate science, but to twist it.
Science, by its very nature, is never capable of proving the non-existence of anything.

Science has a long way to go before it becomes the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
There is always some uncertainty associated with scientific conclusions.

Tom

So true. And to make the bold statement ALL life originated from the ocean is far fetched IMO.

RNK
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7529 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On 2013-11-27 10:14, ClintonMagus wrote:
Some chiropractic techniques seem to have recently come more into the "mainstream" medical field than they once were. We have an "almost daughter" who was very sick for more than a year. Experts everywhere, including Mayo Clinic told her that it was all in her head. She had almost quit eating completely. She went to a "medical chiropractor" and he was able to get her feeling good enough that her appetite returned, and she returned to a normal life.

On the other hand, a friend went to a chiropactor because he was short of breath and afraid of going to a "regular" doctor. The chiropractor treated him for a hundred things. He never got any better and eight months later he died from undiagnosed lung cancer.

This is why you have to use common sense and know when to get a second opinion. But to say ALL chiropractors are Quacks is far from the truth.

RNK
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7529 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On 2013-11-27 10:28, Dannydoyle wrote:
To say we come from the oceans does not discount God. Just sayin.

Agree. And to say humans did not originate from the ocean also does not discount God.

RNK
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Since one can not count God then one can not discount God. One can only count what God created out of nothing and the nothing can not be counted can it?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » President Kennedy believed that humans came from the ocean (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL