The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Yet, another website to look at (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gordon russ
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of gordon russ
I have updated my website and have it looking the way I want it. There is still more to do but it is way better than my old one so I went live with it. Please look around an let me know if you have any suggestions.

I do have a website designer, but since this is a Word Press site I a can edit the words, change photos and videos. I really wanted to be able to do this with my new site. With my old site, if I wanted to ad a comma I had to call my designer. I really like being able to do some basic editing.

http://gordonruss.com/

Gordon
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Profile of JoshLondonMagic
There are a ton of pages of pages. I'd narrow the pages down a bit. The key with web design is to not have your visitor click a lot of times.

Also, make your phone number more visible.

Is this a responsive theme you're using?

Josh
Josh
iwillfoolu
View Profile
Special user
Upstate NY, USA
746 Posts

Profile of iwillfoolu
Tell the customer what separates you from the competition. What makes you better than the next guy?

Joey D
Magician and Balloon Twister
New York Magicians
Magician New York
jugglery
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of jugglery
The copy is very fact-based, "The information you find here will help you find out more about Gordon’s shows and programs, where he is performing, and how to bring his exciting magic to your event." That is a bit redundant, because we all know that that is the purpose of a website. Don't give up that valuable real estate by stating the obvious.

Work to engage the audience with sentences that will appeal to their imaginations. Use words that stimulate the senses. Make them see, hear and feel the show. Tall order, but worth trying. Above all, get to how the audience will feel after seeing your show. Emotions, rather than facts, will sell the show. Dig into the client's needs and you will be more effective in selling the product.

Writing copy isn't easy for everyone. Consider farming it out to someone who has a grasp on what it takes to sell a show.

All the best,

Steve

Steve
Steve Russell

www.steverusselljuggles.com

Video Editing - www.GigReels.com
gordon russ
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of gordon russ
Thanks for the suggestions, I will be able to do some more work on the site after Thanks giving. Please keep the suggestions coming.

Gordon
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
779 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
Gordon, my first impression was "just another magician"..it didn't knock my socks off. Too many show possibilities, why do I want a magician who specializes in children shows" for a corporate audience?
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
A couple of extraneous things strike me. 1. the sound system is the same as the President uses. BIIIG DEAL. Who cares what sound system you use.

The 2nd thing is the comment that "Gordon record from phone call to starting his show is 30 minutes." Are you that hard up for shows? When someone tris to book me within a week of the call I hem & haw around "making sure I'm open" plus I add $25 to my fee as a rush job price. I also let them know it's going to cost extra. What's funny is I book almost every "rush job" I quote. Also If the job is 2 days away I am always booked whether I am or not.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
WOW, you would actually have a child make a poster and take it to another performer's show and if they are called to the stage to help out the performer you would have their parent/guardian take a photo that says "But Gordon is better". This just amazes me. Is this how you treat all your fellow performers? Do you steal other performer's shows by underbidding? Be careful how you respond to the questions and statements. Are you sure the system you uses is the same as the presidents? Who are you kidding no one cares. Their are many mistakes on your website and it just does not pop out. My website personally sucks and is being redone as we speak. But the difference between yours and mine will be the TRUTH. I tell NO lies.

Rod
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
gordon russ
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of gordon russ
Quote:
On 2013-12-03 03:43, Rodney Palmer wrote:
WOW, you would actually have a child make a poster and take it to another performer's show and if they are called to the stage to help out the performer you would have their! parent/guardian take a photo that says "But Gordon is better". This just amazes me. Is this how you treat all your fellow performers?

Yep! It is pretty funny when it works. You have to have a sense of humuor. Check out the photo below. I think you would have to see my show and how this bit is presented to see how much fun it is.

In one routine I ask kids in the audience if they know any local magicians, once in while they will name one that I have their phone number in my cell phone, I will call the magician during my show when they answer or the voice mail beeps I ask the kids “What magician they like better. “Gordon or Baffling Bill” The way I lead the kids on before I call by saying, “ What ever you do NOT say Baffling Bill” they yell “Baffling Bill” It is funny because the kids pull one over on me

Last summer Baffling Bill was going to be performing 2 weeks later than me at the same library. I had a kid choose a card we sealed it in an envelope and I stuck the envelope to the ceiling of the library in the performance area. I told the kids that if they come back in two weeks, they have to challenge Baffling Bill to name the card. The kids loved it. Two weeks later when Bill was performing to a PACKED library the kids challenged him to name the card. He took the envelope down and his bunny Gus picked a card out of a deck and it matched the one in the envelope. IT WAS A BLAST!!!!! (of course I called Bill after my show and told him the card was going to be the 2 of clubs).

Remember it is all about having fun, that library was packed for two shows. They have already booked me for 2014

Thanks for all the comments about the website. December is not a good month to make a lot of changes (kind of busy) I hope to make some updates in January.
gordon russ
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of gordon russ
I can not seem to attach a photo to the post. Here is a link to some on my site, (you have to scroll down a little to see them. http://gordonruss.com/shows-for-groups/
Dimitri Mystery Artist
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel/Ukraine
355 Posts

Profile of Dimitri Mystery Artist
I think you have too much information on your landing page
gordon russ
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of gordon russ
Quote:
On 2013-12-03 03:43, Rodney Palmer wrote:
Do you steal other performer's shows by underbidding? Be careful how you respond to the questions and statements. Are you sure the system you uses is the same as the presidents? Who are you kidding no one cares. Their are many mistakes on your website and it just does not pop out. My website personally sucks and is being redone as we speak. But the difference between yours and mine will be the TRUTH. I tell NO lies.

Rod

Hey Rodney,

I do not understand where all the venom in your reply is coming from. (Are we not all brothers in Magic?) I just wanted some suggestions to help make my website better, like the reply saying it is hard to see my phone number, or my landing page is to busy. You call me a liar and ask if I steal other performers shows by under biding them. The sound system I use is from Anchor Audio, one of their brochures said that it was the system used by the President. I did not make it up. It may or may not help me get a gig, people may not care, but I was not lying when it was added to my web page.

I do not steal other performs shows by underbidding. I “steal” them by sending brochures to venues that they may be performing at. Others can do the same to me, as I post the all my public shows on my site (including address, Google map and public contact phone number if available). It would not be to difficult to contact the organization and find out who books their entertainment.

So if you have any constructive criticism of my web site please feel free to share them. If you would like some suggestions on your sucky website post a link, and perhaps some of your brothers in magic will give you the same consideration you gave me.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Gordon I don't think you lie in your web page. there is a certain who cares aspect to the audio system thing and I would take it out. If it does not sell you, and it won't, it does not need to be there. Just an opinion.

As for the business practice of the things you do suffice as to say I would not do it. That is me. I don't particularly think it is wrong per se. I just would feel like I had to shower after I did it. Again an opinion not an attack. Even if you did undercut them it is a sound business practice and done all the time by competition. It is what it is. Maybe not my style but that doesn't make it wrong.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Also as a side note I would not undercut a friend. Starting out I did some pretty unthinkable things to friends in thiss business. It is not cool. It gets you nowhere.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Yet, another website to look at (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL