The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Magicians fooling Magicians - Just Pure "EGO"? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2013-11-27 14:13, Payne wrote:
I agree that tricking, fooling or mystifying ones audience is a requirement of being a magician. It's just not my central focus.

Payne, I'm not directing this at you, but using your post as a launching pad for mine.

Tricking, fooling or mystifying doesn't have to be the central focus, but IMO it is a REQUIREMENT if one claims to be doing magic... perhaps not as critical for audiences of other magicians, as it is for the general public. I've been hollering about that for years.

Regarding the lay audience... I think all of us (well, most of us) are guilty of letting that requirement slide on occasion for the sake of entertainment. Attention to what degree is an entirely different thing. I argue with myself constantly if I find myself considering this. If a routine is entertaining, but doesn't fool anyone, I can't rightfully consider it magic... a parody of magic perhaps, but not magic.

But, I shake my head and roll my eyes whenever it is apparent that a "magician" is leaning on the E-word as a crutch to justify what I feel is laziness and a lack of respect for the magic moment.

Regarding all of this for the fellow magician, some are doing it for egotistical motives, but I think there are perfectly good reasons for fooling your fellow magician. One example might be to gain an edge in competition. This motive can go beyond bragging rights, and be more of a career path builder.

There is also the high probability that magicians (at least some) are actually entertained by being fooled, as much as by the peripheral presentational components. As esoteric as this approach may be, this is simply knowing ones audience.

Regarding any attempt to fool other magicians so completely that they are not able to work out a method soon thereafter... that's a pretty tall order for ANY magician. It is quite possible to fool them in the moment, but magicians in general have all the tools and lots of experience at their disposal, all specifically designed to help them deconstruct and "method out" almost any trick or effect.

Laymen, as a rule, do not. They can easily be left in the lurch forever.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Nate The Magician
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of Nate The Magician
Also, IMHO, fooling the heck out of someone who knows that you are tricking them is so much better for both parties involved. It makes it a challenge to both and makes the magic more meaningful- when you know how something is done and someone STILL fools you (E.G. Cardini) then it becomes just beautiful.
Just my two cents.
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1033 Posts

Profile of Ado
Quote:
Regarding any attempt to fool other magicians so completely that they are not able to work out a method soon thereafter... that's a pretty tall order for ANY magician. It is quite possible to fool them in the moment, but magicians in general have all the tools and lots of experience at their disposal, all specifically designed to help them deconstruct and "method out" almost any trick or effect.

Well, I think you're talking about two things. Roughly, if I turn over the top card, show it, put it back on the deck, then on the table, rub it, and show it's changed, you'll think "DL." Now, if you think DL only *after* I did the trick, I'm happy enough, because you didn't suspect the DL when I did it. Now, you could believe that I did a scoop change instead. That'd make me happy as well. We can (more often that we may wish) reconstruct a trick. Not that I want to reach a point where people reconstruct it differently from what I did, but I want the magic to never raise that little 'here's a move!" flag in my audience's head. I want the magic to be as fair as possible, for all audiences. I want to cause suspension of disbelief, and let other magicians relax and enjoy. Just like you may say "oh, the special effects of thiis movie were good!" but never think of computers during the actual watching of the movie.

P!
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
There is nothing "wrong" about your choice. As there is nothing "wrong" if others choose not to invest in trying to fool magicians. It is simply a choice, not unlike choosing to do magic shows for kids or only performing for adults.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Magicians fooling Magicians - Just Pure "EGO"? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL