The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Metaphors, symbolism, and imagery oh my. (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MatthewSims
View Profile
Special user
765 Posts

Profile of MatthewSims
Hey there. I'd like to get started a page about people's favorite books dealing with these three topics. They don't necessarily have to be directly related to the field of mentalism. They can be books written for or aimed at the general public.

Also, if you could include why you enjoy your particular book (s), or maybe even the particular author would be nice.

On your mark, get set...
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8514 Posts

Profile of funsway
Try "Godel, Esher, Bach" -- a book with no equal and metaphor of what a "self-constructed" book should be.

Send me a request to gusarimagic@comcast.net for an e-copy of my book "Wind and Mountain" a collaboration of my brother's photos and my short poems inspired by each. It is nothing but your three topics.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2367 Posts

Profile of C.J.
The most metaphor-ridden book I have ever read is The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan. However, since its subject matter and the symbols therein are entirely a matter of religion, I can't discuss it any further in the café.
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
seamagu
View Profile
Special user
859 Posts

Profile of seamagu
The prophet by Kahlil Gibrain or something, great little book Smile
I love post its Smile
MatthewSims
View Profile
Special user
765 Posts

Profile of MatthewSims
Wow. These excite me already. Another author that keeps coming to mind is Joseph Campbell.
kannon
View Profile
Inner circle
BCN
1024 Posts

Profile of kannon
Hey Matthew, great topic.

Definitely Joseph Campbell

the work of Carl Jung: Dreams, the Red Room

Indigenous stories and the different parables, origin stories and popular tales from across the world. Look at the Egyptians - their heiroglyphs the stories they tell.

Research different countries and their history and relevant symbolism, metaphor and repeating imagery for instance when I was researching Oceanian symbolism I found this incredible helpful http://www.polynesian-tattoo-handbook.com/ ... on that note ask people about their tattoos, why did they get them ... while some people have literally stupid reasons, others have well thought out tattoos and others may have even done research on the symbolism, and message their tattoo is telling.

Have you looked into Astrology and the myths and legends behind the constellations?

Dream dictionarys although I wouldn't recommend them for dream interpretation offer plenty of symbolism.
On that note taking the time to record your own dreams in their entirety or in the flashes you can remember and exploring why your subconscious may have presented you with this imagery is a great learning experience and coupled with exploring synchronicities in your life.

As you walk around your local area - what do you see, what do the plants mean - do they have forgotten medicinal purposes. Look at something and ask yourself what you intuitively feel it means, we have tens of thousands of years symbolism that we have inherited knowingly and unknowingly - cross-culturally people draw a house in a similar way, a tree, the moon.

What symbolism does a fallen feather hold, or the bird from which it fell? Use the net, histories in American the Native Americans have greatly explored this, and luckly some of their work is published and documented.

That doesn't mean we all interpret symbols in the same way though - If you show some people a picture of a spider they'll freak out whereas others may adore it. One of the reasons why we can't just interpret out dreams by the associations read in a dream dictionary.

Oracle decks such as Medicine Cards, Animals often contain a wealth of welled research symbolism and metaphor dealing with a certain topic. Buy a deck you like the sound of and work with that for a while. The better ones will discuss stories, customs and rituals associated with each card or image.

Reading Greek and other mythologies. The Bible, the Koran ....
My work and the Mtangulizi here http://kannonsworks.weebly.com featuring work on drawing duplications, a fiddle-free billet tear, bar mentalism, pendulums
MatthewSims
View Profile
Special user
765 Posts

Profile of MatthewSims
Brother Andy! How ironic! It is YOUR book "Nothing to See Here" which has started me on this never ending journey Smile

It's currently 6:45 am and I've been reading your book and researching the World Wide Web since midnight!

Honestly, it's the personal reading that you included for me in the book that started it all. I've read it at least 10 times.

To anyone reading this, if the area and subject of metaphors and interpretation interest you (which it must...otherwise why would you be reading this post) I strongly recommend checking out Andy's book in order to get an idea of how one might incorporate these things into their mentalism.

With a smile
Matthew
kannon
View Profile
Inner circle
BCN
1024 Posts

Profile of kannon
Haha thank you Matthew Smile I'm honored but also apologetical for keeping you up so late Smile

You WILL love the journey you are embarking on - remember to journal it and keep notes.

:) Andy
My work and the Mtangulizi here http://kannonsworks.weebly.com featuring work on drawing duplications, a fiddle-free billet tear, bar mentalism, pendulums
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18487 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Everything is a metaphor...

clive barker's The ***ation Game should be as much of a must read as Nightmare Alley, love, death, drugs, gambling, magic, occult, telepathy, symbiosis and so much more...

Pyschomagic by Jodorowsky - even if you hate the content, the 'prescriptions' are pure metaphors...
edwardsausagefingers
View Profile
Regular user
I thunk, therefore I erm...
177 Posts

Profile of edwardsausagefingers
Matthew - I've found inspiration in some of Aesop's Fables and in the book "101 Healing Stories for Kids and Teens".
Also in transcripts of Milton Erickson's work.
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
About a year ago I stumbled on a second hand copy of J E Cirlot's 'Dictionary of Symbols'. Well worth seeking out. A quick Google tells me you can pick it up Brand new on Amazon for around 12 quids.

Christopher Booker's 'The Seven Basic Plots' is useful for this sort of thing too.

Developing a memorable, coherent, consistent and connected system of interpretations and meanings for colours, numbers and the elements (Earth, Air, Fire and Water) will give you a very versatile toolkit that will serve you well. It will mean that the next time you are trying to interpret something new and unfamiliar, you will already have a set of meanings waiting to be applied.

For example, somebody draws a bird. Perhaps you can't remember specifically what birds mean in traditional interpretations. Well, what do birds do? They fly, so their element is air. But they also land - so they are a link between the symbols of air and earth. How many birds did they draw? One would point to a new start, two to communication and relationships etc. What colour pen did they use or what colour is the bird they drew?

And so on... Before you know it, you are tapping into a rich and meaningful seam of imagery.
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1857 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
Jung, Man and His Symbols
The Magician's Tables
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2239 Posts

Profile of NeilS
What a fascinating and valuable thread. I was also pleased to see mention and praise for Andy Kannon's Nothing to See Here. A great book and which, to my mind, takes Mentalism to new levels.
MatthewSims
View Profile
Special user
765 Posts

Profile of MatthewSims
Neil, how right you are. It and Scryer and Friends are currently the 2 books that I find myself referring back to more than any other.

Dr. Todd, just did a search on The Magicians Tables. This seems EXACTLY what I am looking for. Though I may be completely off, is this at all similar to Malcolm Gladwells work, such as Blink...in that it compares the ancient symbols and metaphors of time with the more modern economics that we see today?
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1857 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
The magicians tables is all about correspondences....nothing like Blink....

Cheers

Todd
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2367 Posts

Profile of C.J.
Since Dr Todd has popped into this thread anyway, it's probably worth pointing out that his Epistementologie is a brilliant book detailing tried-and-tested routines and effects based on symbolism and metaphor. Highly recommended.
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
ParaLabs - Thomas
View Profile
Special user
878 Posts

Profile of ParaLabs - Thomas
In Scryer's 'Band of Readers' we describe a particular approach in detail under the title 'Fairy Tale Readings'.

The idea behind this approach refers to the application of possible morals of a fairy tale or fable to a reading. So a corresponding fairy tale/fable used as an allegory of the participant’s situation offers a wonderful and poetic way to end a reading with a metaphoric answer to a question she is struggling with.

We explain how to apply this basic idea to a reading there ... with various examples.

Hope this helps
Th.
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1857 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
Quote:
On 2013-11-28 19:52, C.J. wrote:
Since Dr Todd has popped into this thread anyway, it's probably worth pointing out that his Epistementologie is a brilliant book detailing tried-and-tested routines and effects based on symbolism and metaphor. Highly recommended.

Thanks CJ, much obliged.
Smoking Camel
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1014 Posts

Profile of Smoking Camel
Matthew: spark notes and cliff notes provide in depth discussions on symbolism and imagery present within most major works of literature. (Check out heart of darkness)

Cheers
I no longer smoke camel cigarettes.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Metaphors, symbolism, and imagery oh my. (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL