The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » What to do when you can't set up beforehand (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
Hey everyone,

Whenever I do a small stage set, I set my wireless mic up before everyone gets to the venue just like most do. However, this Saturday I have a gig and I am unable to do so and must setup while people are eating. This is the last thing I want to do but I really have no choice here.

Does anyone have any thoughts/advice or have done this before that you'd like to share? The last thing I want to do is a sound check while there eating but like I said, I really don't have a choice this time and Any help is greatly appreciated.

Darren
Twitter @darjames
ko_brian
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of ko_brian
Quote:
On 2013-11-27 08:29, Jamie D wrote:
Hey everyone,

Whenever I do a small stage set, I set my wireless mic up before everyone gets to the venue just like most do. However, this Saturday I have a gig and I am unable to do so and must setup while people are eating. This is the last thing I want to do but I really have no choice here.

Does anyone have any thoughts/advice or have done this before that you'd like to share? The last thing I want to do is a sound check while there eating but like I said, I really don't have a choice this time and Any help is greatly appreciated.

Darren

Where is your gig going to be? Ask another person to test it for you! Smile
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
Thanks for the reply, it's about an hour away and I can't get into the venue until the doors open for the party that's being hosted starts. The problem is that it's in a small community so I can't even give my mic to someone.

Darren
Twitter @darjames
ko_brian
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of ko_brian
Quote:
On 2013-11-27 10:30, Jamie D wrote:
Thanks for the reply, it's about an hour away and I can't get into the venue until the doors open for the party that's being hosted starts. The problem is that it's in a small community so I can't even give my mic to someone.

Darren

Do you have someone that could help you out in this one? Family for enxemple. They could set up everything for your so no one would see your face prior to the show. I mean, you still have to set everything during the party but not being you the one who sets everything up may seen more professional! What do you think about it?

Ibrahim
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
I completely agree with you and these are great ideas, I'd like to get someone else to set the mic up but the problem is that I can't get into the venue until the same time everyone else is getting in. I may have to just suck it up and sound check when I can which is the last thing I want to do.

Darren
Twitter @darjames
T. Durden
View Profile
Loyal user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
297 Posts

Profile of T. Durden
Might as well make it funny...

Get a few t-shirts made for cheap (iron-on lettering?)... As you're carrying stuff in, wear the t-shirt that boldly says "Stage hand"... when you start to set up your audio, strip that shirt off and reveal another shirt beneath it, which reads "Sound guy"... If you have lights, repeat the gag and show a t-shirt with "lighting technician" printed on it... etc. etc. etc.

Setting up while the audience is there is obviously not ideal, but in most cases it's not as big a deal as we (as entertainers) make it out to be. Sure, it ruins the mystique, but ya know what? If the show's good, they're not gonna give a flying care whether or not they saw you set up before the show earlier in the night.

If you're mostly just worried about disrupting their dinner with the audio, just keep it pretty quiet at first, and flat-out apologize for having to do the soundcheck while they're having dinner. They're not gonna care, I'll bet.
Nathan Tricky Allen
http://AdultsOnlyMagic.com
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
3037 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
I've had this happen a few+ times...If there are children in the audience let them speak into your mic. I was at mall a number of years ago and saw a vent guy performing. He tested his sound system by walking into the audience and encouraged the kids say their names. Everyone in the audience seemed to enjoy it, especially the kiddos.

T. Durden basically said it all as far as I'm concerned.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1764 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Bummer, Jamie! I hate those gigs where you have to set up in front of people! There's nothing I've ever been able to do about it, though, because no one knows my set-up but me. That said, T. Durden's idea about the T-shirts is hilarious!
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
T Durden is a genius.
T. Durden
View Profile
Loyal user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
297 Posts

Profile of T. Durden
Awwwwww, shucks, guys. You don't have to... you don't mean that... you know I'm not a g...

j/k
yeah. I am. I'm pretty genius.
Nathan Tricky Allen
http://AdultsOnlyMagic.com
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
Thanks everyone, T Durden, I agree, your idea is great and I could see it going over well. In the end, it wasn't that big of a deal. I don't think anyone thought anything of it to be honest. Usually this is all said and done before they arrive so it was a first for me. In the future, there's more things to worry about as this didn't bother anyone at all, just a small hiccup really.

Thanks again,

Darren
Twitter @darjames
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » What to do when you can't set up beforehand (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL