The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » C/S/B question (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3262 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
In your oppinion, who makes the best c/s/b coins?
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1551 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
I love my Lassen commercial CSB discussed here: http://www.themagiccafe.Thisforums/viewt......orum=202

I am not sure if Todd is making them right now, but get one if you can. This set is a real worker.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2603 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I'll go with Todd, too. I have a hole coin set and a solid set.
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1551 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Sorry. My link was wrong. Here is the correct link which includes discussion and pictures:

http://themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic......um=202&6

If you want top of the line, here's a custom Morgan dollar set from Todd:

http://coolotis.files.wordpress.com/2009......pg?w=300
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
6696 Posts

Profile of bowers
Lassen make's the best CSB set available out there.
Todd
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3231 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Lassen makes the best. I still recommend Johnson Products to start with for economical reasons and for magicians to find out what it's like handling the set.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3262 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Does anyone have the homesite to Lassen?
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
lithyem
View Profile
Veteran user
San Diego, CA
311 Posts

Profile of lithyem
Jeremie Leroi
View Profile
Regular user
Paris, France
101 Posts

Profile of Jeremie Leroi
Hi ! I also bought a Lassen Commercial CSB set and it is indeed a beautiful one at a very reasonable price. Much better quality than Tango and not that much more expensive.

Xavier Belmont sent me a few pictures of one of his latest CSB set (wih a 1921 Morgan) and, well… I know what my next set is going to be ! Obviously, it's not in the same price range but Xavier's reputation is second to none (plus, he has the best customer service I've seen).

J.
Jeremie Leroi
View Profile
Regular user
Paris, France
101 Posts

Profile of Jeremie Leroi
Ho, and before anyone asks, Xavier's site is http://www.xavierbelmont.com

J.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1551 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
I understand Lassen actually has his own exotic coins minted to exacting specifications, such as the Peruvian Sol De Oro, to create the precise fit.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3889 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
He does indeed.
latentimage
View Profile
Elite user
No More Room In Hell..
447 Posts

Profile of latentimage
For the price, I have been really happy with my Johnson set. I sent them the coins and they did a custom one for me. Custom is always an option with them if you catch them at the right time.

Allen
"Come to the edge," he said, They Said "We Are Afraid," "Come to the edge," he said, They Came, He Pushed Them...And They Flew. -Apollinaire

"If there be a skeptical star, I was born under it. Yet I have lived all my days in complete astonishment." -W. MacNeile Dixon
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3231 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Allen, Thanks for the reminder!
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1671 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
I love Lassen have quite a number of his products. I use his shell sets, Morgan flipper coin, and jumping halves. But I do have, and use, a nice set I got from Schoolcraft about ten years ago, East African dime, American liberty half dollar, Mexican centavo.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
I have another Todd Lassen set than the one shown here (yes with the little mark inside). It's perfect as well. I also have a set from Jaime Schoolcraft and the difference is only in the type of coins, not on the quality of craftmanship.
Now I could perform with much cheaper sets as well. The quality of such sets is only for self satisfaction and the fanatic comments about this or that particular quality by one or the other are rarely linked to performance reasons but more for a form of snobism.

Now craftsmen have exclusivities and any magician may wish to purchase the necessary gaffed coins from them for some special routines. But when it comes to a Shell Set or a Gravity Flipper, the fanatism shown on this topic for any craftsman is really without performing ground and somewhat ridiculous, betraying more the ignorance of the writers than the "knowledge" they think they acquired when acquiring a very nice set.

Todd Lassen is episodically generating a debate in this topic to suggest by "in Transit Actions" that he is the best craaftsman in the world.
It works commercially but he has several peers whose quality is in no way inferior, despite what he tries to get inferred. Furthermore, contrary to what people try to state he had, like every good craftsmen, some coins that he had to swallow back for defects, sometimes graciously and sometimes not.

I like Todd Lassen's work, globally not more than the one of the four or five top craftsmen in the world, but his after sale service, from comments here in the Café by several magicians, is not to be emulated and he has, according to my personal experience, the most arrogant personality and, by far, the most despicable manners.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
elainevblaine
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of elainevblaine
That is ONE item where the way the gaff is made in such a way, that it has a direct impact on whether you can do the trick or not. On a standard dollar size CSB set you could never lay a coin next

to the gaff. It's way too thick and way too obvious in dollar size. You could never hold the gaffus in front of a spec and show the edge of the gaff. And opening a Lassen flipper is to die for.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
I never discouraged anyone to invest in Todd Lassen's work (and I did it myself indirectly) but I'm not the only one to have been a victim of his manners but I'm one of the rare ones who dared to respond ... to the dismay of the court of the Man Who Would Be King
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
latentimage
View Profile
Elite user
No More Room In Hell..
447 Posts

Profile of latentimage
Lawrence, I understand what you are trying to say now. It's an interesting point you bring up about Tango. Their reputation has always been so bad that I have never considered getting anything from them. It's been years since I've seen their work, but I remember not being too impressed at the time. I have been pretty confused lately when I have seen some of their products for higher prices than some of the big names.

Allen
"Come to the edge," he said, They Said "We Are Afraid," "Come to the edge," he said, They Came, He Pushed Them...And They Flew. -Apollinaire

"If there be a skeptical star, I was born under it. Yet I have lived all my days in complete astonishment." -W. MacNeile Dixon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » C/S/B question (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL