The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What to do when you can't set up beforehand (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
Hey everyone, I posted this elsewhere but thought I might get more of a response here.

Whenever I do a small stage set, I set my wireless mic up before everyone gets to the venue just like most do. However, this Saturday I have a gig and I am unable to do so and must setup while people are eating. This is the last thing I want to do but I really have no choice here.

Does anyone have any thoughts/advice or have done this before that you'd like to share? The last thing I want to do is a sound check while their eating but like I said, I really don't have a choice this time and Any help is greatly appreciated.

Darren

Darren James
Twitter @darjames
Isper
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of Isper
I usually stipulate a sound system in the contract if there is not one already. They set it up and take care of everything. I just show up and do my thing.
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2070 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi Darren,

One possibility is to set up everything while people are eating, but wait to conduct your sound check until the tables are being cleared off. It isn't an ideal situation, but it might be the least disruptive time for your sound check.

Regards, Steve
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11720 Posts

Profile of John C
My motto.... go with the flow. Sounds like you had no choice. Like Nike's motto, JUST DO IT!

Maybe make a thing out of it.... Anyone choking on their food? No seriously, let's hear it for the wonderful dinner......
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
Thanks so much guys, love the idea of making a joke out of the situation, thanks John. Also, doing the check while there clearing off the tables is probably the best idea Steve, thanks for sharing. The performance is for a small community and they did really have any prior experience with hiring entertainment before so they were somewhat difficult to work with.

Darren
Twitter @darjames
dusty
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of dusty
Hi Jamie D
Sometimes we have no choice so we all have to make the most of what have to work with. Oft times in the UK the host will announce a short comfort break before the cabaret / speakers this is the idea time to get a sound check done. If this is not planned, it is still worth asking if it could be included. When this has happened to me and I explain why it would be beneficial I have never failed to get a client to agree a short formal break.

The other alternative worth considering when all else fails is to ask the banqueting manager to stay by your sound desk and adjust the volume once you begin speaking or if the desk is on stage with you he can give visual signal form the back of the room if you need to adjust the levels.
Regards,

Dusty

aka Max Gordon.
"Always give 100%, Unless you're a blood donor!"

Exclusive publications available from:

www.solutions.yolasite.com
christophe
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of christophe
Quote:
On 2013-11-28 09:49, John C wrote:
My motto.... go with the flow. Sounds like you had no choice. Like Nike's motto, JUST DO IT!

Maybe make a thing out of it.... Anyone choking on their food? No seriously, let's hear it for the wonderful dinner......

I agree with John, corporate show are like that, that's it, don't do a big deal of that Smile
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10571 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
The other option is just show up really early and demand a sound check rehearsal before all the guests arrive. In some ways this might be ideal as if you r doing mentalism you can hang about before your seta etc and de pre-s etc.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
Thanks again everyone, looks like that's the plan, to just do it. Doors open t 5 so I'll be there at 5 and will probably hang out after as you mentioned Dr Spektor.

Darren
Twitter @darjames
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What to do when you can't set up beforehand (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.36 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL