The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Pet Peeves in magic (121 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15
StephenRoy
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of StephenRoy
This is a great thread! A lot of fun reading through here.

Mine is superfluous patter or what I call narrating patter: As in "Here's an ordinary deck of playing cards. I'll shuffle the cards and give you an absolutely free choice of any card here. Put the card back in the deck anywhere you want. Is that where you want it? Ok, so I'll shuffle the deck again and now your card is lost in the deck. Now, watch as I touch both sides of the deck with my magic wand, and viola, your card is now on top of the pack as if by magic."
Geeraff12
View Profile
New user
Tasmania, Australia
74 Posts

Profile of Geeraff12
When American magicians assume everyone else in the world know what a dime, nikel, quarter, half dollar, look like.
GlennLawrence
View Profile
Veteran user
Randolph NJ
320 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
How about the lame followup to the previously mentioned "ordinary deck of cards" where the magi says "All the cards are different, yes?" Um yeah, why wouldn't they be?

And the other one I hear constantly, "For the first time, please tell us the name of the card you've been thinking of?" Really, it's just the first time? Ridiculous and it's not just hacks I see doing this, plenty of pros who should know better.
lord_wallmotto
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of lord_wallmotto
The idea that if an effect is strong/powerful enough the audience will not want to look at/inspect the props.

Calling skeptical and curious spectators hecklers.
Emory Kimbrough
View Profile
New user
Tuscaloosa, AL
94 Posts

Profile of Emory Kimbrough
Lord_wallmotto: Yes, there's a financial incentive for this myth to persist - It's used to sell inferior magic. "You should buy definitely buy this right now without considering whether it's examinable. If you have trouble with that, it's your fault for having 'poor audience-management skills'."
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Yes wallmotto, I appreciate your message. Because sometimes the STRONGER the effect, (quick and visual) the more a spectator intuitively knows something is not normal..... This is what solid, clean switches come in. For instance in rope magic you have miracles done with trick ropes. But the errant assumption you mentioned has kept magi from developing good switches in this area. Nothing quite beats a miracle followed by passing that item out.
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
808 Posts

Profile of danaruns
Old, tired routines.

Magic with props no one ever sees in real life, which includes "classic" magic with props that used to be common objects but have fallen out of use.
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On Dec 20, 2018, danaruns wrote:
Magic with props no one ever sees in real life, which includes "classic" magic with props that used to be common objects but have fallen out of use.

This times a million.
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
The multitude of routines based on the four aces. Seems a bit obsessive, no?
Instructional videos where during the explanation, the instructor continues to shuffle, riffle, and/or cut the cards in a manner unrelated to the sleight or trick being explained. I find that this irrelevant extraneous activity distracts attention away from the instructions. For a newbie like myself that is very frustrating.
And, of course, sleights that I cannot seem to master. Smile
So many sleights...so little time.
"Slow...deliberate...natural." Bill Tarr

Cheers,
Teddy
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
In Denver, I have no less than
548 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
Narrating what you are going to do. For example, "Now I will cut the rope into three pieces." or "I will now shuffle the cards."

Also, bringing up old threads on forums.
1tepa1
View Profile
Inner circle
1282 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2018, GlennLawrence wrote:
How about the lame followup to the previously mentioned "ordinary deck of cards" where the magi says "All the cards are different, yes?" Um yeah, why wouldn't they be?

Spectators are not stupid. The concept of duplicates is a natural and common thought. Why do magicians have a card signed?

People say there is no reason to show or mention that all the cards are normal or different, but the amount of times I have heard laypeople say stuff like "are all the cards the same?" Or "is it a trick deck" or some variation of that made me change my mind on this issue.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Having a pet peeve in the first place. Oh no someone does something I don’t completely agree with oh no!

If I had my way I’d eliminate the Ascanio spread, Astro Turf, instant replay in all sports (For official review. The fans can still have it.), the designated hitter, ridiculously long story tricks and anything with a dragon painted on the side in a magic effect.

Most things that would qualify as a pet peeve for me are things beginners do or hobbyists who work sporadically. I am hesitant to come down on them or discourage them because it simply is not fair. Nobody needs to be discouraged.

I have found if these things bother me I can simply not watch.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2024, 1tepa1 wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2018, GlennLawrence wrote:

Spectators are not stupid. The concept of duplicates is a natural and common thought. Why do magicians have a card signed?

People say there is no reason to show or mention that all the cards are normal or different, but the amount of times I have heard laypeople say stuff like "are all the cards the same?" Or "is it a trick deck" or some variation of that made me change my mind on this issue.

Yea… but.

Certainly you can show them the deck is normal by the way it is handled, let them shuffle, hand it out casually and such. There are a myriad of ways to accomplish them not thinking these things without saying it. If you have to say it they may believe it, but not be convinced. There is a large distinction between belief and conviction. It you let them convince themselves it is better than them believing you by far.

If you are having them sign a card to prove something I kind of think this is a bit of a mistake. I’m not against signed cards because they cement the moment and make wonderful give away items. But I think a routine should be structured so that the signing doesn’t prove too much. The idea of a duplicate card is removed even without a signature is the goal. It really can be done, it just takes work. AND a great bit of that work can be done prior to that specific effect. Deck switches, add on moves and all manner of moves off the beat help with this. You do an effect and they shuffle the deck and have handled it and sort of seen in use for a few effects. Then do a switch or simple add on move and they assume it is the same deck. In reality it is stacked or has dups or whatever.

Should you still have the card signed? Yep. All I’m saying is to make effects deceptive beyond the crutch of the signature.

Rant over.

Oh I have two new pet peeves.
Multiple posts by one user in a row.
Ranting about something that has nothing to do with the original topic.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
774 Posts

Profile of Fedora
If you are worried about duplicates, have them choose the card themselves from a face up deck as they handle
it, or have them think of a card and take it out. I do this when I know I'll be using the same cards for
the whole time I'm there and I don't want to thin the deck.
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
774 Posts

Profile of Fedora
Ranch should never be used on stake, you want something with more fire! I won't even go
into the homes of people who do such nonsense.

Sorry, almost forgot to double post.
Magicbob89
View Profile
New user
Maryland
27 Posts

Profile of Magicbob89
If you are watching another magician preform don't spoil the tricks for the layman.

This happend to me once. I was doing walk around and in this group of people someone kept shouting all the slight of hand I was using to the layman. After I was done he said "I practice magic to." Then he laughed and walked away.
deucegalamagic
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of deucegalamagic
I made a parody on this exact topic! But the incessant riffling and showing of "empty" hands are definitely up there!

Annoying Sh*t Magicians Do Part I: https://youtube.com/shorts/OahgkX018EM
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Pet Peeves in magic (121 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL