The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Pet Peeves in magic (118 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15
StephenRoy
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of StephenRoy
This is a great thread! A lot of fun reading through here.

Mine is superfluous patter or what I call narrating patter: As in "Here's an ordinary deck of playing cards. I'll shuffle the cards and give you an absolutely free choice of any card here. Put the card back in the deck anywhere you want. Is that where you want it? Ok, so I'll shuffle the deck again and now your card is lost in the deck. Now, watch as I touch both sides of the deck with my magic wand, and viola, your card is now on top of the pack as if by magic."
Geeraff12
View Profile
New user
Tasmania, Australia
66 Posts

Profile of Geeraff12
When American magicians assume everyone else in the world know what a dime, nikel, quarter, half dollar, look like.
GlennLawrence
View Profile
Regular user
Randolph NJ
112 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
How about the lame followup to the previously mentioned "ordinary deck of cards" where the magi says "All the cards are different, yes?" Um yeah, why wouldn't they be?

And the other one I hear constantly, "For the first time, please tell us the name of the card you've been thinking of?" Really, it's just the first time? Ridiculous and it's not just hacks I see doing this, plenty of pros who should know better.
lord_wallmotto
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of lord_wallmotto
The idea that if an effect is strong/powerful enough the audience will not want to look at/inspect the props.

Calling skeptical and curious spectators hecklers.
Emory Kimbrough
View Profile
New user
Tuscaloosa, AL
94 Posts

Profile of Emory Kimbrough
Lord_wallmotto: Yes, there's a financial incentive for this myth to persist - It's used to sell inferior magic. "You should buy definitely buy this right now without considering whether it's examinable. If you have trouble with that, it's your fault for having 'poor audience-management skills'."
countrymaven
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Yes wallmotto, I appreciate your message. Because sometimes the STRONGER the effect, (quick and visual) the more a spectator intuitively knows something is not normal..... This is what solid, clean switches come in. For instance in rope magic you have miracles done with trick ropes. But the errant assumption you mentioned has kept magi from developing good switches in this area. Nothing quite beats a miracle followed by passing that item out.
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
745 Posts

Profile of danaruns
Old, tired routines.

Magic with props no one ever sees in real life, which includes "classic" magic with props that used to be common objects but have fallen out of use.
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Special user
953 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On Dec 20, 2018, danaruns wrote:
Magic with props no one ever sees in real life, which includes "classic" magic with props that used to be common objects but have fallen out of use.

This times a million.
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Loyal user
New York, NY
217 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
The multitude of routines based on the four aces. Seems a bit obsessive, no?
Instructional videos where during the explanation, the instructor continues to shuffle, riffle, and/or cut the cards in a manner unrelated to the sleight or trick being explained. I find that this irrelevant extraneous activity distracts attention away from the instructions. For a newbie like myself that is very frustrating.
And, of course, sleights that I cannot seem to master. Smile
So many sleights...so little time.
Cheers,

Teddy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Pet Peeves in magic (118 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL