The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » One at a time. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chris Michaels
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Chris Michaels
Hello, I'm a little curious about something. It's probably quite obvious, but it's late and I'm tired Smile

I've seen a couple people mention learning one trick at a time, from beginning to end. How are you supposed to choose which trick though? I'm aware there's factors of which I think is the easiest to accomplish, and would get the best reactions. But what I think, and the spectators think, may be different. A trick I like, they may not. So instead of spending a month or more practicing a trick, and in the end finding out no one likes it. How do you go about narrowing down which trick you want to dedicate yourself to?
"penguin is the cheapest magic shop online" - some person I was talking to on AIM.
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Well if you're like most of us you'll buy something that fools you at the magic shop and then when you learn it you'll never perform it because you won't believe it will fool anyone...

Or, you could purchase a "course" in magic, like Royal Road To Card Magic, Card College, Magic As a Hobby or even The Mark Wilson Course In Magic.

These works are designed to be learned from page 1 through to the end. You sbould use them in the way they were intended to be used.
Chris Michaels
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

I don't buy tricks, and I'm a bit past beginning stages. So I'm still at square one. Thanks for the advice though.
"penguin is the cheapest magic shop online" - some person I was talking to on AIM.
Emily Belleranti
View Profile
Veteran user
Tucson, Arizona
349 Posts

Profile of Emily Belleranti
I can see that there might be many reasons why someone would want to start learning a particular trick.

I must admit that I still learn effects because they seem "cool." But I am only an amateur, so I can get away with that.

I often learn a trick because it is commercial (if I plan to perform it regularly for laypeople), or by following the recommendation of someone else.

But it is true that there are very few tricks that make it into my repertoire of performance pieces for laypeople. There are some tricks that I just play around with, but don't perform. This is only for my own enjoyment and it helps keep my interest at a high pitch.

And there are also times that I have learned things because they were included in a book that was designed to be taken as a course in magic.

But in the end, the tricks that I really dedicate myself to are the ones that I want to perform for laypeople.
"If you achieve success, you will get applause, and if you get applause, you will hear it. My advice to you concerning applause is this: Enjoy it, but never quite believe it."

-Robert Montgomery
Chris Michaels
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

That would work. What I'm saying though, is I've read around here on the board, people mention learning one trick at a time. Patter, the whole kit 'n kaboodle, beginning, middle, and end...before moving on to another trick is the best way to learn. Recommendations are a good thing to follow, but different people have different tastes. I was curious as to why you would want to dedicate yourself to a single trick, for that long, without knowing reactions.

To me, it would make much more sense, if you practiced a few tricks, tried them out on people, and refined the one that worked the best.
Emily Belleranti
View Profile
Veteran user
Tucson, Arizona
349 Posts

Profile of Emily Belleranti
I do prefer to learn things one at a time because I feel that taking it nice and slow allows me to get the trick to a high standard. But when I started out, I would half-learn the mechanics, figure I had the trick "mastered" and go out and show it to people, probably badly.

Now I do tend to take things one at a time, and I don't get bored. But this may be because I also regularly rehearse the material already in my repertoire, and I perform fairly often. I talk with people here on this board, I go to magic shows, I read magic magazines, etc. I am able to keep my interest at a high level, while still learning things one at a time.

I can certainly understand your point of view, but I do feel that it is better to take things one at a time so that every piece in your repertoire is of high quality. But I may be wrong.
"If you achieve success, you will get applause, and if you get applause, you will hear it. My advice to you concerning applause is this: Enjoy it, but never quite believe it."

-Robert Montgomery
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
It takes a while for me to relate to an effect or routine if at all. When I had much more free time I could read and walk through books full of routines. The ones that sparked my imagination were the few that got more than mere technical attention. Perhaps two dozen or so routines in all over the last twenty five years.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dave Egleston
View Profile
Special user
Ceres, Ca
632 Posts

Profile of Dave Egleston
Quote:
On 2003-12-26 11:22, Chris Michaels wrote:
I was curious as to why you would want to dedicate yourself to a single trick, for that long, without knowing reactions.

To me, it would make much more sense, if you practiced a few tricks, tried them out on people, and refined the one that worked the best.

Thus, this board still entertains

Dave
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
If you stick to material by the "greats" then you can more or less trust that, well-performed, it'll get a good reaction.

Then you can practice the heck out of it without worry if it's worth the time or not.

Paul
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » One at a time. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL