The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Messado Rings (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
I just saw the ellusionist advert for these, and read the Café review, and they look awesome. What are regular ring users opinions on them?
pslaughter
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of pslaughter
I really enjoyed the routine and it is a lot more "doable" than I expected it to be.

I still really like a lot of Shoot Ogawa (probably misspelled that) routine, but Mr. Masado's routine has some interesting elements as well. Right now I'm performing sort of an amalgam of the two.

When I first saw Mr. Masado perform the routine up close out at Magic Live I thought, "looks great in his hands but will I be able to do it?" Surprisingly a lot of the moves I really liked are easier to do than I expected. The Masado ring DVD does a really good job teaching what I consider to be some of the best moves in the routine. There are some kind of crazy moves at the end that look kind of nuts, but I wasn't really interested in performing those so I haven't tried to learn them.

I'd say if you are interested, go ahead and give it a shot. The rings are OK (although I still prefer the Shoot Rings), and the DVD does a good job at teaching the routine. With a modicum of practice you should be able to do it.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Thanks for the feedback, pslaughter - I'm most certainly tempted Smile.

Quick questions:
Do they chip or blemish after use?
pslaughter
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of pslaughter
Well, I've practiced quite a bit with the rings that come with the package. So far they look fine. I'm just not a fan of the black rings. I already had a set of the gold Ninja Rings, so I plan to keep using those. If I were you, I'd learn the routine with the rings provided and then look to replace them with a nicer set for performance.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

That's interesting. I assume the black rings were designed to be aesthetically pleasing and carry a sort of a street-cool look, but do you think this fails to work in the real world?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Joe Porper is close to final design on new 5-inch ring set based on his Ghost Ring concept.... stay tooned
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Do you have an ETA on that, Pete?
Digitalyosh
View Profile
New user
Southern California
76 Posts

Profile of Digitalyosh
I have both the Messado rings and the gold Ninja rings,and they do feel and act different depending on your performance.

The messado rings have a heavier weight to them that makes his spinning move at the end much easier to accomplish than the ninja rings. The key ring itself isn't the same as the ninjas which makes you strike much more precisely. The quality is good and the weight can help you if you like Mr. Messado's performance. If your into the more faster speed of shoot ogawa, then I would search for a set of ninja rings but for the price and being easily obtained, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get the Messado rings.
Current things to work on: Everything loops, Pinky count, Coins coins coins...
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Interesting comparison, thanks digitalyosh.
Digitalyosh
View Profile
New user
Southern California
76 Posts

Profile of Digitalyosh
Yeah no problem Terrible Wizard, I started getting back into rings and rope magic a bit more and found out that each ring has it's own qualities that are desired for specific performances. Now it's not to say that you can't perform the same routines with both, but the weight behind the Messado rings does make a few more moves that require momentum much easier than the lighter rings you can obtain. I just didn't enjoy the rough edges on the key ring for the Messado's, but I'd imagine you can resolve it by working it sandpaper but it will probably take off the coating. The centrifugal spin is a great move that greatly shows why the rings must be heavier and makes the Ninja Rings almost frustrating to do because it loses the spin very quickly.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Interesting, though I don't like the sound of rough edges!
jconstantine
View Profile
Special user
Long Island New York
566 Posts

Profile of jconstantine
If your good at grinding metal down I believe you can chamfer the rough edges of the messado rings to match the ninja rings. I have both and the ninja rings are much more precise as fare as the strike links and unlinks.
Misdirect yourself regularly before you attempt to misdirect others!!! Smile Smile Smile
Digitalyosh
View Profile
New user
Southern California
76 Posts

Profile of Digitalyosh
I had a hard choice between using the Ninja Rings or the Messado rings for my performance next weekend and finally decided on the Ninja rings just for the fact of their lightness and strike connects that feel more smooth. The Centrifugal spin is almost non-existent which made me have to redo part of the performance, but I felt more in control with the Ninja's. Not to knock the Messado rings, they are still very good for what they are and the weight does help factor in with a few moves that are only possible with heavier rings (I shouldn't say "ONLY" however, it's much easier to achieve).
jconstantine
View Profile
Special user
Long Island New York
566 Posts

Profile of jconstantine
Quote:
On 2013-12-21 08:13, Digitalyosh wrote:
I had a hard choice between using the Ninja Rings or the Messado rings for my performance next weekend and finally decided on the Ninja rings just for the fact of their lightness and strike connects that feel more smooth. The Centrifugal spin is almost non-existent which made me have to redo part of the performance, but I felt more in control with the Ninja's. Not to knock the Messado rings, they are still very good for what they are and the weight does help factor in with a few moves that are only possible with heavier rings (I shouldn't say "ONLY" however, it's much easier to achieve).

If anybody is good with working with metal (which I am not) you could chamfer the straight sharp edges down to the way they are on the ninja rings and you will have the best of both world. The smooth linking quality of the ninja rings and the perfect weight of the messado rings for the flashy airel moves.

Im sure if you brought your ninja key ring and messado key ring to a metal worker that he or she could grind down the sharp edges of the messado rings to exactly match that of the ninja key ring. You would then have a devastating weapon. A hybrid beast of a set of rings.
Misdirect yourself regularly before you attempt to misdirect others!!! Smile Smile Smile
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
But why are there rough edges? you are paying for a product so it should be good. or was it a fluke?
jconstantine
View Profile
Special user
Long Island New York
566 Posts

Profile of jconstantine
Quote:
On 2013-12-22 18:25, ROBERT BLAKE wrote:
But why are there rough edges? you are paying for a product so it should be good. or was it a fluke?

Oh no not at all. The Messado rings are great. Practically seamless. Look and sound wonderful. The only thing is that the cut in the key is a straight cut. While the cut on the ninja rings after having been straight cut each edge was chamfered or tapered if you will to make the linking smoother.
jconstantine
View Profile
Special user
Long Island New York
566 Posts

Profile of jconstantine
The edges aren't really rough per say. Just straight and not tapered.
Digitalyosh
View Profile
New user
Southern California
76 Posts

Profile of Digitalyosh
Yeah, sorry for saying its rough. The edges do feel different and you need to adjust to how it feels around the finger compared to the Ninja Rings.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Thanks for clearing up.
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2415 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
I agree that there's something about this routine that feels more "doable" than you'd think. I, too, saw them performed at MAGIC Live, and picked up a set on the spot!
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Messado Rings (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL