The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » American's Trust In Each Other At 40 Year Low (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
I found this article and seems Americans are not as trusting with each other as we used to be:

Quote:
You can take our word for it. Americans don't trust each other anymore.

We're not talking about the loss of faith in big institutions such as the government, the church or Wall Street, which fluctuates with events. For four decades, a gut-level ingredient of democracy — trust in the other fellow — has been quietly draining away.

These days, only one-third of Americans say most people can be trusted. Half felt that way in 1972, when the General Social Survey first asked the question.

Forty years later, a record high of nearly two-thirds say "you can't be too careful" in dealing with people.

An AP-GfK poll conducted last month found that Americans are suspicious of each other in everyday encounters. Less than one-third expressed a lot of trust in clerks who swipe their credit cards, drivers on the road, or people they meet when traveling.

"I'm leery of everybody," said Bart Murawski, 27, of Albany, N.Y. "Caution is always a factor."
View gallery."

Does it matter that Americans are suspicious of one another? Yes, say worried political and social scientists.

What's known as "social trust" brings good things.

A society where it's easier to compromise or make a deal. Where people are willing to work with those who are different from them for the common good. Where trust appears to promote economic growth.

Distrust, on the other hand, seems to encourage corruption. At the least, it diverts energy to counting change, drawing up 100-page legal contracts and building gated communities.

http://news.yahoo.com/god-trust-maybe-no......394.html

Personally, I honestly feel most people can be trusted. Not everybody, but most people.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
PaulPacific
View Profile
Special user
Yes, I used my toes to type all of my
905 Posts

Profile of PaulPacific
Magicians are honest liars. Magicians can be trusted.
Blessings on thee, little man,
barefoot boy with cheeks of tan...
Outward sunshine; inward joy,
Blessings on thee, barefoot boy! :-D
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Why don't Americans trust each other? I'll ask you why.

Have you ever been sued?

That's why I don't trust anyone.

Greed.

And ease of making money on someone else's insurance. I don't trust anyone except those I know intimately.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Quote:
On 2013-12-04 01:50, Bob1Dog wrote:
Why don't Americans trust each other? I'll ask you why.

Have you ever been sued?

That's why I don't trust anyone.

Greed.

And ease of making money on someone else's insurance. I don't trust anyone except those I know intimately.

I haven't been sued yet but they say if you stay in business long enough, chances are, you will. To me, it just comes with the territory and you have to expect it as part of being a businessman which is why I think it's important to consult an attorney as soon as you can afford to do so once you do go into business and also carry liability insurance. But even with this being the case, I honestly have faith and trust in my fellow Americans. You can't let the fact that getting sued is easy to destroy your faith in your fellow human beings.

You can't trust everybody, but I think by and large most people are good and on the same token, I understand that it can be a dangerous cruel world out there so I am not naive to that, but their are many good people as well who try to do the right thing and make the world a better place. And I am not just saying that as some kind of feel good statement, I really believe most people are good. You also have to treat people well if you want to be treated well by others, I mean if you don't treat others right then don't expect to be treated well yourself. I know of course that you treat others well Bob and this is not a problem for you.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » American's Trust In Each Other At 40 Year Low (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL