We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Inspired by seeing Wayne Dobson at Blackpool (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
This may not be the best place to post this, but as it's the place I frequent most, it's probably the forum I'm best known.

I hope the moderators don't delete it.
It's a bit of a read, but please bear with me.

Hi there magicians, mentalists and mystery performers in general.
There are probably very few of us who don’t know of Wayne Dobson.
A brilliant magician who doesn’t let his battle with multiple sclerosis get in the way of continuing to be a great influence on the world of magic.

What has that got to do with me?
Well I’ve been planning to do something for charity for a long time now.
I knew exactly what I wanted to do. I just didn’t know what charity should benefit from it.

That’s where Wayne comes in.
After seeing how MS has affected a giant in a field of entertainment I myself am involved in, it seemed natural to locate a charity that helps sufferers of MS.

I have been in contact with MS-UK, a charity of which Wayne Dobson is an ambassador,
and I have chosen them to be the recipients of all profits from this project.

So I have written and recorded a Christmas song which will be available via iTunes as of December 1st
I am asking for the help of all magicians to help spread the word about this project.
Buy the song, share the link on FaceBook, tell friends, even donate to the charity if you wish.

Let’s help make a difference, however small.
Let’s help a charity, which is dear to the heart of one of our heroes, help others who are suffering.

Like Wayne, my mother-in-law also suffered from MS. Unfortunately she died a few years ago.

Seeing how Wayne battles this disease yet still manages to produce great magic, inspired me to continue with this project, even when things weren't going to plan.

Below are some links to the the video, the iTunes link and a link to the MS-UK website.

It only takes a few minutes.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILc9rX_FCAk
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/a-york......63476493
MS-UK: http://www.ms-uk.org/events

If you just wish to make a donation you can do that via the MS-UK website: http://www.ms-uk.org
or via Paypal to steve@thoughtillusions.com (please put "donation" in the comments section of the Paypal payment)

Stephen E Young.
Funnybaldbloke
View Profile
Veteran user
Blackpool, England
377 Posts

Profile of Funnybaldbloke
Stephen you're correct about Wayne, he's an inspiration to all of us. I've been lucky enough to know him for a few years and have sadly seen his condition worsen over that time, but what hasn't deteriorated is his love for life and his passion for magic. In fact, they seem to be growing every time I see him.

I'm sorry to hear that your mother suffered from the same illness and I know what you must have gone through as my father is currently battling a disease of his own.

With that in mind I applaud what you're doing and I've purchased the song and have also made a donation to MS-UK, as you say every amount, no matter what it is, can make a difference.

I must also say that, being a Lancashire lad, and because of my place of residence, it immediately brought to mind 'Albert and the Lion' by Marriott Edgar. I think you've done a great job with it and I look forward to the 'difficult second album'!

Keep up the great work and I wish you every success with this endeavour,

Cheers,

Tony

P.S. Don't know why I should think this, but you didn't sound anything like I thought you would.
Tomorrow's bottom of the bill...Today!
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
I'm a Manchester lad, and only moved to Holland 16 years ago.
Still have the accent.

Thanks for your support. It is very much appreciated.

Just a little note It was my mother-in-law who also suffered with MS. My mother is very much alive and kicking. Oh boy is she kicking. Smile

Steve
Funnybaldbloke
View Profile
Veteran user
Blackpool, England
377 Posts

I'm terribly sorry for my mistake Steve and glad to hear your mum is still going strong. My dad is going strong too (87 tomorrow, mum is 83 and next year it's 65 years of marriage!) but he does have his bad days and it's horrible to see someone close go through any kind of illness so I'm well aware that even a few pennies can make all the difference in making someone's life easier.

You certainly do have the accent! I'm a Burnley lad myself and since I stopped working on cruise ships and just stayed 'up North' my accent is now stronger than ever. I even have a hard time understanding myself!

Tony
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
My mother now lives in Burnley. Hapton to be precise.

Steve
Funnybaldbloke
View Profile
Veteran user
Blackpool, England
377 Posts

And my parents are in Padiham. It is indeed a small world.
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
We must arrange to meet up at Blackpool.

Steve
Funnybaldbloke
View Profile
Veteran user
Blackpool, England
377 Posts

Yeah definitely, it'd be a pleasure to share a sherry or two!
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3778 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Great choice of charity Steve it was multiple sclerosis that made my father blind and in all probability is the cause of the diminished dexterity that caused me to switch to mentalism. I will definitely support your project by buying the song and will spread the word.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Harpacrown Too is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=harpacrown-too
Ophiuchus is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=ophiuchus
Totally Free Will is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=totally-free-will
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Thanks Mark. Very much appreciated.

Steve
mindshrink
View Profile
Special user
Delhi,India
915 Posts

Profile of mindshrink
Great guy...great sense of humour.....great magic.
I watched him during his TV series A Kind of magic...in 1983.
I corresponded with him in 2006 or 2007 about something I had seen him do with Tarot cards....and he was prompt in responding in spite of his illness.
My mother went thru something similar to MS and died in 2002.
I even requested the Café guys to bring Wayne on as a chef special before its too late.No response to the thread.
Wayne has been a great inspiration to me.
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
I really need to get this spread as far and wide as possible.
Any help would be much appreciated.

I realise the song may only have any context to UK people, but I think there's no reason why overseas magicians shouldn't support it.

steve
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Still need to get this spread around more if possible.

steve
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
Donated and posted on t'other place. A very good cause.
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Thanks Matt.
You're a star.

steve
mindshrink
View Profile
Special user
Delhi,India
915 Posts

Profile of mindshrink
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Inspired by seeing Wayne Dobson at Blackpool (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL