The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Big Finish (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
tombinns
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of tombinns
Quote:
On 2013-12-03 10:08, ko_brian wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-12-03 06:42, tombinns wrote:
I'm currently writing my 5th 1 hour character based mentalism show for the Edinburgh Festival and I'm looking for a strong finale - that doesn't involve some kind of prediction that ties all the loose ends in show together.

However I can't think of anything better.

Here's my question are there stronger fx than a prediction to finish a mentalism show?

What is your character about? What does he do? I mean hypnosis, prediction, seance, etc...

He's a new age spirit medium. The audience are lulled into thinking he's a bad psychic and then he surprises them. https://vimeo.com/67550675
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Why not collapse midway through saying something, and just stay down til people leave?
I've asked to be banned
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
And please channel sylvia browne or doris stokes....
I've asked to be banned
Mr Timothy Gray
View Profile
Veteran user
Rue d'Auseil
364 Posts

Profile of Mr Timothy Gray
Saw the show twice at this year's Fringe. Easily one of the best mentalism shows I've ever seen. It's better than just a mentalism act. It's *** good theatre.
Yr. Obdt. Svt.,
Mr Timothy Gray

Specializing in the Occult Arts of Fortune Telling, Magic & Mediumship; Est. 1986
cpbartak
View Profile
Special user
Mooresville, NC
941 Posts

Profile of cpbartak
Hmm...why not something along the lines of Kiss of the Clairvoyant?
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
tombinns
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of tombinns
Quote:
On 2013-12-03 21:12, cpbartak wrote:

That would be great - maybe I could use pro mystic's paper bag to help pass on powers. Not 100% happy about handing over some control for finale (or the price come to that)
tombinns
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of tombinns
Quote:
On 2013-12-03 18:09, IAIN wrote:
And please channel sylvia browne or doris stokes....

I did that and got feedback
cpbartak
View Profile
Special user
Mooresville, NC
941 Posts

Profile of cpbartak
Something along the lines of Telepathy in Action could work for you if you were to frame it in a manner consistent with your character.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2013-12-03 23:05, tombinns wrote:
Quote:

That would be great - maybe I could use pro mystic's paper bag to help pass on powers. Not 100% happy about handing over some control for finale (or the price come to that)

I agree with you. Doing a "spectator as mind reader" effect for the finale directs attention AWAY from the performer at a moment when it should all be directed AT him/her. It would, IMO, be a weak finish. Also consider this- why would you want your finale to depend on the reactions, cooperation and stage presence of a random volunteer?
tombinns
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of tombinns
Quote:
On 2013-12-03 23:10, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-12-03 23:05, tombinns wrote:
Quote:

I agree with you. Doing a "spectator as mind reader" effect for the finale directs attention AWAY from the performer at a moment when it should all be directed AT him/her. It would, IMO, be a weak finish. Also consider this- why would you want your finale to depend on the reactions, cooperation and stage presence of a random volunteer?

One year I finished with a past life regression and made an audience member think he was Jesus - using PK touch for the stigmata and a little bit of instant stooging and dual reality courtesy of something adapted from Colin Mcleod Bookless test. It was always nerve wracking and occasionally the odd dick head ruined the ending.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
That's what can happen if you give control of your finish to someone else.
ko_brian
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of ko_brian
Make a chair routine with 4 graves (or Creamation Pots) where each partipant gets an object and choose their grave or cremation pot to step by its side!!! In the context of them being spiritually guided, at the end, each person is next to the cremation pot of the deceased owner of the object they are holding!!!Also Each cremation pot has an especific letter for them, telling each one of them about their past, present and how they will be protect in the future by spirits!!! Something in this lines, it is not a prediction, this is an effect where they will be guided by invisible forces!!!

( you can work on this effect in this context, creating mutiple layers of finale, the last one being the most impressive)

Just an idea! =D
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I think hurling the headlines would work for your character, like those end spots on shows where you thank your guests and talk about what's coming up on next weeks show...but this time you're throwing out predictions and so on - which in turn might make people come along to the next show if you've been right or (deliberately) disasterously wrong...

or get them in touch with their own spirit guide, they can maybe feel, smell, hear them too?
I've asked to be banned
tombinns
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of tombinns
Thanks for all your help. There's loads to think about here. I really appreciate it.

In the spirit of wanting to put something back has anyone seen this?

Electronic pad with a normal pen, it records different colours (sorry America colors) of pens and even the motion of pen above paper before you press on. "write a list and then just mime underlining one of the items on the list to reinforce it in your mind"

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1663......ref=live

I just thought you would find it useful for taking notes. I can't think of any applications in mentalism. None at all *taps side of nose twice*

Oh it's only about $149 or less than a £100. I imagine the circuit board could be easily taken out of the case.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Big Finish (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL