The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » School Kids Must Wear Wrist Strap (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Seems like a pretty high profile program. Articles about it in the local newspapers. Permission slips. Websites.

Snohomish isn't a particularly large place, is it?
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
According to the Snohomish County Health Leadership coalition

Quote:
To participate in the program each student must submit a signed permission slip from a parent or guardian. To accurately measure the child’s movement while wearing the PowerPod students will be asked to input their gender, height and weight when creating their profile on Sqord. Students can select any screen name they wish to appear in the online game.

Either the parents forget signing the form (most likely), or their child is participating illegally, and the research team should be notified.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Do you think the parents have any right to tag their chidren and do you think the chidren are old enough to know any better?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"If it is so fun and good, why the threat of punishment for removal at home?"

Because to remove the band corrupts the data.

Seems from links that permissions were asked and granted.

It seems like most conspiracies, conclusions were formulated before facts were in.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2013-12-03 14:18, irossall wrote:

If it is so fun and good, why the threat of punishment for removal at home?

What 'threat'?

You said: "I asked what kind of trouble would the kids be in if they took it off. She said that if it is removed, even for just a minute, that information is logged and the parents would be notified that the device must stay on 24/7."

The only threat I see, according to the info at the links posted above by several folk, is losing access to a free computer based social networking site and a "free YMCA youth membership during the 2013-14 school year".
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Sorry. I don't see any great conspiracy here. Just research for which permission was asked and granted by the participating students' parents. I'm certain that students would be permitted to opt out if they or their parents so desired, even after permission was granted.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I used d to think nobody wanted to be more conspiracy minded than I am. Turns out I was wrong.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Wasn't going to say anything, but...what's the age range of the testing? Kids just hitting puberty, and they give them a wrist band? Then expect accurate results?

Also, GPS data is expensive to monitor, and would take frequent recharging of any internal batteries. They're not going to put much more than a simple accelerometer in that band, honestly.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
First off, I never said there was a conspiracy, I said I am considered a "conspiracy freak".

Both Parents told me they did not sign anything or give verbal permission. Maybe because my Sister-In-Law is a teacher at that school, permission is implied.

As a Tax payer it seems to me I have a right to know how my money is being spent. Every other year or so I get to vote to raise my Taxes for the school district. I don't mind paying the teachers more or purchasing new equipment but to purchase a data device for kids aged 4-10 who are already very active, seems to be a waste of funds that could be put to better use. Also, why the secret? There has been nothing in the local paper about this. I only found out because of a Nephew.

My Brother and Sister-In-Law said nothing about being rewarded with anything. I will ask about that next time I see them.

Once kids get used to being banded with an electronic device, it will be much easier to band them as adults. I think that can be a very slippery slope. People are too willing to give up their own privacy. "nothing to hide" syndrome.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Pecan_Creek
View Profile
Veteran user
The Nation of TEXAS!
323 Posts

Profile of Pecan_Creek
You're kinda thick aren't ya?

Are you actually allowed to vote?
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-12-04 05:41, irossall wrote:
First off, I never said there was a conspiracy, I said I am considered a "conspiracy freak".

Both Parents told me they did not sign anything or give verbal permission. Maybe because my Sister-In-Law is a teacher at that school, permission is implied.

That would be a bizarre policy. She should check into that.

Quote:
As a Tax payer it seems to me I have a right to know how my money is being spent. Every other year or so I get to vote to raise my Taxes for the school district. I don't mind paying the teachers more or purchasing new equipment but to purchase a data device for kids aged 4-10 who are already very active, seems to be a waste of funds that could be put to better use. Also, why the secret? There has been nothing in the local paper about this. I only found out because of a Nephew.

Have you looked into the study's funding? If it's public money, it will be published in a public space. It won't be delivered to your home, though. You'll have to look for it.
Quote:

My Brother and Sister-In-Law said nothing about being rewarded with anything. I will ask about that next time I see them.

Once kids get used to being banded with an electronic device, it will be much easier to band them as adults. I think that can be a very slippery slope. People are too willing to give up their own privacy. "nothing to hide" syndrome.
Iven Smile

Perhaps. I am suspicious of rewards for participation in research, especially for children. But it is a common practice, I'm afraid.

John
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
[quote]On 2013-12-04 09:08, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-12-04 05:41, irossall wrote:

That would be a bizarre policy. She should check into that.

Quote:

Have you looked into the study's funding? If it's public money, it will be published in a public space. It won't be delivered to your home, though. You'll have to look for it.
Quote:

I know this is skewing off topic, but hearing the information was "published in a public space" made me think of this sequence from "The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy" - Arthur Dent is arguing with the foreman in charge of knocking down his house to make a "bypass."

FOREMAN: All the plans and demolition orders have been on display at your local planning office for the last nine months.

DENT: Yes, well, as soon as I'd heard I went right around. You hadn't gone to a lot of trouble to call attention to them, like showing them to anybody!

FOREMAN: All the orders were on display...

DENT: ON DISPLAY!? I eventually had to go to the basement!

FOREMAN: That's the display department.

DENT: With a torch (flashlight).

FOREMAN: The lights had probably gone out.

DENT: So had the stairs.

FOREMAN: But you did see the notice?

DENT: Oh yes. It was "on display" at the bottom of a locked fileing cabinet, inside a disused lavatory, with a sign on the door reading "Beward of the Leopard!" - Have you ever thought of going into advertising?

As far as the parents not giving permission. I don't know your relatives, is it possible the kid showed up with a permission slip and they signed it without actually reading it?

KID: Hey Mom! You gotta sign this for school!

MOTHER: What is it?

KID: Something for school, we're doing some sort of project.

MOTHER: Oh, OK.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Quote:
On 2013-12-04 07:08, Pecan_Creek wrote:

That's a very good argument against what I am saying. You are so articulate.

Do you bother to vote? Or do you just sit at your computer in the safety of your home and send unintelligible insults to people you don't know. I wonder if you would have the guts to tell me I am "thick" to my face.
Your dribble falls on deaf ears. Maybe next time you post, you will have something to say.

By the way, last time I checked, Texas is still a state, not a nation. just thought you should know.
Iven Smile
Bazinga
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Bazinga
Quote:

You're kind of an arse, aren't you?

Are you allowed to use electronic and communications devices without supervision?
Bazinga
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Bazinga
I would definitely opt out of having any type of tracking device put on me or my family. That's one reason I don't buy GM cars. I buy old non-GM cars.

I'm also surprised, although maybe I shouldn't be, by the number of people who opted in for the Progressive Insurance tracking device. I saw where another insurance company (can't remember the name) is offering it too.

I know my web usage is tracked, my email, telephone and cell phone are monitored for keywords. That's a fact of Patriot life now. It's cost of doing business. But I'm not going to put up with it when I don't have to.

Here's one for ya: Two years ago the county tax man came here with a Google satelite photo of my property, showing a small shed that was not "properly applied for." He even had the picture scaled to show that the shed was 2 inches over the size limit for a non-reported shed. When he measured it, it was exactly what the photo had for size.

Bazinga!
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-12-05 14:14, Bazinga wrote:
I would definitely opt out of having any type of tracking device put on me or my family. That's one reason I don't buy GM cars. I buy old non-GM cars.

Note that it is NOT a tracking device. It measures movement; it does not measure location.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Quote:
On 2013-12-05 14:01, Bazinga wrote:
Quote:

You're kind of an arse, aren't you?

Are you allowed to use electronic and communications devices without supervision?

:rotf: Yes, I am a bit of a Arse. I am allowed to use my ankle bracelet but if I take it off, I'm in trouble. Electronic communications? only 900 numbers late at night.
Iven Smile
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Iven, I think Bazinga was shooting at Pecan_Creek.
Pecan_Creek
View Profile
Veteran user
The Nation of TEXAS!
323 Posts

Profile of Pecan_Creek
Quote:
On 2013-12-05 06:16, irossall wrote:
Quote:

That's a very good argument against what I am saying. You are so articulate.

Do you bother to vote? Or do you just sit at your computer in the safety of your home and send unintelligible insults to people you don't know. I wonder if you would have the guts to tell me I am "thick" to my face.
Your dribble falls on deaf ears. Maybe next time you post, you will have something to say.

By the way, last time I checked, Texas is still a state, not a nation. just thought you should know.
Iven Smile

Sorry if I offended you with the truth.

You've come on a public forum trying to establish a pattern of government take over of whatever. Rail against it by "if it was my kids... etc..." with no facts just supposition and half truths.

Yup , you should be taken seriously!

Why don't you just crawl back into your bunker and leave society to the people that can function above the cave man level.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2013-12-05 06:16, irossall wrote:

Iven Smile

Check again. 'Nation' has more meanings than the one you appear to be thinking of. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » School Kids Must Wear Wrist Strap (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL