The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What do you say when...? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

zapito12
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of zapito12
What do you say when someone (usually a kid) yells out "I know how that trick is done!" during the middle of your performance or just after the trick is done?

This happens to me sometimes, and I usually just put my finger to my lips and say "shhh...don't tell anyone."

Any other suggestions?
dman11
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1068 Posts

Profile of dman11
I just continue on and finish the effect. then move directly to them and do something else and ideally they will have no idea how you did this one, that should keep him quiet Smile
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Kids will say this even if they do not know how the trick is done. For all age groups I use the same line. "don't tell anyone, sell it to them later".

Gets a laugh and shuts them up in a nice way.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I would tell the kid, that is great but don't spoil it for the others.

One famous performer said, the tells the kid, okay, then you can leave now.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
I thin all approaches are great.
I pretty much follow suite as I lie in New Zealand but have a East London accent I usually stop look at the kid and say dead pan 'well done' with a little sarcasm and a pause then a smile. Then I just carry on.

If they say something like 'you got a thing and it goes up the thing' then I just say steady I have not got to that part yet.

The key is to be polite and give the kid attention as that what they want but then pull it back to you.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Joe McIntyre
View Profile
New user
North myrtle beach S.C.
61 Posts

Profile of Joe McIntyre
Good, let me know if I do it right.
PaulSharke
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of PaulSharke
I grab the kid by the collar, slam him up against a wall, and I give him the third degree: "How do you know that? Who told you? Who do you work for?"

On an unrelated note, does anyone have any advice about getting gigs? Mine seem to be drying up lately.
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1033 Posts

Profile of Ado
"Don't tell anyone for less than fifty bucks!"

"I need to take a break, can you replace me for five minutes?"

P!
dazulay
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of dazulay
If it something that's bothers you and can disturb your presentation don't give him attention. If he doesn't' behave properly, the principal, or other kids will ask him to stay quiet.Or make the joke about calling him to take your place...
MentalMidget
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of MentalMidget
You can run into that with bar work a good bit as well -- one option (especially with sleight-based routines) would be to call on that person to help you with another effect that appears similar but has a completely different method.

There are dozens of different prediction methods in mentalism, countless 'pick a card' routines... It's not always best to reward the challenger with more attention but it can be powerful to seemingly blow their theory to pieces.
m.ruetz
View Profile
Veteran user
Peoria Arizona, USA
378 Posts

Profile of m.ruetz
This short article has suggestions for this situation and others as well:

http://magicgizmo.com/home/Childrens-Sho......nts.html
MagicGizmo: Magic Articles, Classifieds, Videos, and more
http://magicgizmo.com
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3510 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
One thing I sometimes say is... Don't tell me, I am still trying to figure it out myself.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Kids will often say that because it makes them feel more a part of what's happening. (Unless you detect a mocking derisive tone - in which case you have other problems!) Kids don't like to be just spectators, especially in smaller groups and among their own peers. They want to be included in the "action group", and "knowing how" gives them that feeling.

It could mean they read it in a book, saw someone else do it, have one in their magic kit, had a friend explain it (for real or otherwise!), or a number of other things. But it also means they were paying you some attention, and that's a good thing! "Keep watching, and see if you get this next one too." Or: "If you like magic that much, have your mom call me - I give lessons."

Ed
trevthemagician
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of trevthemagician
I would just say "that makes two of us"
zapito12
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of zapito12
Great advice and one-liners everyone...thanks! That has given me some great ideas!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What do you say when...? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL