The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Name of this Comedy Rope Escape ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheMagicalMan
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of TheMagicalMan
Hi, I was wondering if anyone may please guide me to where can I buy this amazing comedy rope escape ?
from 1:25 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VASDVIHAMnA
I LOVE IT ! Ive been searching for it for quiet some months, but not as a priority, so I would appreciate if anyone can guide me to it please. I remember the performer (Smoothini) mentioning that it didn't use a gimmicked knot.
If anyone can help me please let me know. Thanks.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
You'll find the effect explained on The Wiz Kids Rope Magic DVD, but they perform it sitting down, not standing up.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
It's in most old magic books that have an escape section. Can't remember what it's called, I'm sure I learnt it from somewhere like Tarbell or the Mark Wilson course. I can't remember exactly to be honest. Never seen it used stood up. My only criticism of it used this way is the body position means the head is down facing the floor. With it done sat down you are able to look at your audience, which is much better. Especially if you're a solo act.

I've read some of the Wiz Kids stuff and despite the name it's really not just for kids. More of an advanced beginners course... If that makes sense.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
One method employed by the Wiz Kids made use of a ringer (stooge) from the audience. We often had beginner Wiz Kids who weren't quite ready to perform in the show, so they would sit in the audience and sometimes be used for little tasks like this. The ringer would be called up and treated as if he was a stranger (name asked, shake hands, etc.) and then he would be asked to kneel down on his hands and knees on a cushioned carpet. He was told this was a very special part of the show and an important part which would get him a lot of applause. The Wiz Kid Escape artist would sit on his back to perform the rope escape. Then the EA would begin the routine called "In Again, Out Again". Every time the cover was removed, the ringer would call out, "When is it my turn? You promised!" and stuff like that. Finally the EA would stand up and the rope would be gone. The ringer would stand up and it was found that he was now tied up in the rope. "Are you ready for your applause?" the EA would ask him, and then hold the cover in front of the tied-up ringer for a second. When the cloth was removed the ringer was standing there with the rope in his hands, no longer tied up, and naturally there was a lot of applause, as promised. The ringer returned to the audience scratching his head and asking aloud, "How did I do that?" So if you ever have a ringer you can work with, you might want to consider this bit.
TheMagicalMan
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of TheMagicalMan
Thank you all for your replies, I still didn't find a source with CERTAINTY that teaches this.
This was the direct reply by the magician when I messaged him on youtube:

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Look at Tarbell's Course of Magic, and look for the Swami / Hindi rope tie. That particular escape knot was put to my attention by Joel Bauer's "Hustle, Hustle" video. NOT THE BOOK, but the video. Not sure how easy it is to find that these days. But you might get lucky if you search it.

There are similar tie's like that found in Dixie Dooley's Escapology DVD set. If you can't find that there, let me know. A lot of magicians do the same effect with a gimmicked handcuff."

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I think the only issue would be finding a source that teaches the Swami/Hindi rope tie or find a source that teaches the illusion but I have to be sure that this is the source.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Everything is in Tarbell. And if you can't find it there, you probably haven't look hard enough... Lol
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
TheMagicalMan
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of TheMagicalMan
Actually I didn't search there yet since I don't have it. But I'll have to wait and ask till I can get any ensurance that the Swami/Hindi rope tie is there, and if it is, which volume is it in ? (So that I may have have to order it since all the volumes aren't together).
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Go to Lybrary.com and get it as a PDF download. You get the whole thing. Even if it's not there, you'll find something better.

Also look at 33 rope ties and chain releases if you like rope.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
MagicalFreak3
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of MagicalFreak3
Im searching for 2 days now.... I cant seem to find it.....maybe I didn't search good enough and that is why I'm still searching. If anyone knows what it I or might know the source to this please let me know, thank you very much Smile !
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I know I found it years ago in "Mark Wilson's" book. I don't know when I will get a chance, but I will try to make time to find and reference the page.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
TheMagicalMan
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of TheMagicalMan
I've been searching in the Tarbell Course and I can't find it there. I would appreciate it if someone can find me it's exact location (ie the volume as well or under what title) thank you for all your help Smile !
Paul_Rheaume
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Paul_Rheaume
That rope escape is taught on you tube by Eric Paul. if you watch how he ties the ropes, it will become apparent how it works (also get tied up in the position and see)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Name of this Comedy Rope Escape ? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL