The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Teaching my first real class (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2598 Posts

Profile of critter
I am officially teaching PSYC498 Psychology of Cults Winter quarter. It's going to be legen...
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16365 Posts

Profile of tommy
Good luck Critter, it sounds interesting. I once escaped a Scandinavian girl from cult in Spain. I just got lost up a mountain there and she ran out and jumped in my car, I gave her a lift and put her up for a couple of days. The place looked like a monastery. She was telling me about it and it sounded like a cult place to to me. She was very scared of them.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Congratulations, Critter.

If you want any tips, let me know. I was actually OK after the first ten or fifteen minutes. I can tell you what really freaked me out the most: watching students taking notes. It made me very self-conscious. Nowadays I notice when students DON'T take notes. It makes we want to ask them why they don't think what I'm saying is important. Smile
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16365 Posts

Profile of tommy
She was a student, from what I recall, she had gone travelling, back packing, I think they call it and ran out on money and they the cult had offered her a place to live. The place was just outside Fuengirola, which is on the coast, an holiday town. I did not mean to go up the mountain but took a wrong road and ended up there. Them mountain roads are too narrow to turn around on, once on them you have to carry on up until one finds a place to turn back. This place was not a place one could escape from easily on foot. Though she wasn't a physical prisoner, rather it was a mental pressure that was put on her not to dessert the order. It was not like the police could do anything about it, as people were there of their own free will, sort of. They were brainwashed so to speak. They saved her in first place and so she felt that she owed them something.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Profile of MobilityBundle
You'll have fun. Smile

Not too long ago, I found the notebook I used to teach my first university class. (It was a math class for sophomore/junior engineering and science majors.)

The first twenty or so pages were very carefully planned out, with worked examples, notes to myself, etc. About 7 or 8 notebook pages per class. The next block was much more sketchy, with maybe a worked example or two, but really just a list of topics to hit. The last half of the semester fit on 2-3 pages. Smile

IMO, the best part about teaching university classes (at least in American universities) is reading the student evaluations after the semester is finished. If your school is like mine, they'll range from the sublime to the ridiculous.

In grad school, I had an Indian friend, Alok, with an extremely mild British accent, and an English friend, Matt, with a thick working-class London accent. Alok got a review that read in its entirety, "I cant [sic] understand him for his actsent [sic]." Matt got a review that lamented, "Why can't I ONCE get a teacher who is a native speaker of English?" Matt was already homesick for England, and didn't quite see the humor (... or was it "humour"?) in that review as much as the rest of us.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5156 Posts

Profile of landmark
Congrats. It sounds like it will attract students who are actually interested in the subject you are teaching and that's always a plus. I'm sure you have lots to teach about the subject and will be a wonderful teacher.
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Quote:
On 2013-12-05 03:51, stoneunhinged wrote:
Nowadays I notice when students DON'T take notes. It makes we want to ask them why they don't think what I'm saying is important. Smile

What makes you think that not taking notes indicates that what is being said is not regarded as important?

For me, it was quite the reverse.

If the discussion in class was engaging and important, and helpful for understanding, I would want to listen actively without the burden and nuisance of "notetaking."
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Congratulations, good luck and have fun. The most important part of teaching is watching your students. Pay attention to them to help yourself slow down, explain, or move on. They can read your lecture notes; that's not why you're there. You are there to frame the ideas and bring them to life in your students' minds.

You'll be great!
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
Perth, down by the cool of the pool
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
All the best with it critter

Kam
If I speak forth, many a mind will shatter,
And if I write, many a pen will break.
.....and when I consider my own self, lo, I find it coarser than clay!
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1299 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Congratulations and good luck Mr. Critter!

Glen
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1282 Posts

Profile of imgic
Congrats Professor Critter
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Most teachers never get rich, but it has to be the most rewarding career in the world. I am proud to have been a teacher for the last 23 years. Have a great time with it. Take your students seriously, just don't take your self too seriously. You will be great.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2013-12-05 08:53, 0pus wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-12-05 03:51, stoneunhinged wrote:
Nowadays I notice when students DON'T take notes. It makes we want to ask them why they don't think what I'm saying is important. Smile

What makes you think that not taking notes indicates that what is being said is not regarded as important?

For me, it was quite the reverse.

If the discussion in class was engaging and important, and helpful for understanding, I would want to listen actively without the burden and nuisance of "notetaking."

That was a joke. I myself stopped taking notes my second year of graduate school, when I decided to develop my concentration and memory skills instead. I went to a lecture, listened attentively, then went to the cappuccino bar and wrote detailed summaries. Those notes--much more so than class notes--became quite valuable to me later.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Congrats, Critter. Psychology of cults, eh? I'd take that one myself!
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Congrats. I hope you like it more than I did. I taught two university classes years ago and hated every second.
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Best of luck there Critter!
I hope that there will be a Chuck Testa Module?

Heaven's Gate was based here in San Diego, I hope that
you are covering this group as well. It's quite fascinating.

Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2598 Posts

Profile of critter
Wow, this got pushed to page 2 and I didn't even realize it had comments Smile
Thank you very much everyone.

Yes, Dev, we'll be watching the indoctrination video from the Heaven's Gate cult and talking about how he almost never blinks Smile
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Teaching my first real class (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL