The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Ali/Foreman fight...rope a dope? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
There was so much "rope a dope" talk attached to that fight, that people got the impression Ali was on the ropes the entire fight. Not so. From the opening bell he came out the aggressor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJphXRp0s......t=21m12s

George simply wasn't prepared for Ali's speed and power.

"float like a butterfly and sting like a bee. Your hands can't hit, what your eyes can't see".

Throughout the fight, Ali peppers George with left jabs and leading rights to the face, sometimes staggering him.

Here at 51:54, Foreman is going down after an Ali flourish of punches:

http://youtu.be/YJphXRp0sRI?t=51m54s

Ali "legally" could have punched George as he was falling, but he pulled back. Years later George commented that he would have not held back like that and felt it was another testament to Ali's greatness in the ring.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
Ali used the ropes quite effectively to wear down Foreman, who had thrown quite a number of punches by the time he had gotten knocked out.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
As I remember, Ali only rope-a-doped for about two rounds. But, even then, he occasionally lashed out with stinging jabs to Foreman's face.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Mastermindreader, I believe that is correct.

Ali verbally taunted him the entire fight. That's tiring to talk that much, let alone boxing at the same time. And at the bell, George would go sit down, while Ali would sometimes go stand in his corner. He really messed with George's head.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

In the documentary film "When We Were Kings," George Plimpton and Norman Mailer discuss Ali's constant taunting of Foreman. ("Is that it, George? Is that all you got?" etc.)
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Quote:
On 2013-12-06 00:58, mastermindreader wrote:
As I remember, Ali only rope-a-doped for about two rounds. But, even then, he occasionally lashed out with stinging jabs to Foreman's face.

Now you guys got me looking for a video of that fight. The other thing I remember, being that I had boxed at the time, was the punishing force of Foreman's punches
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
If you go back and watch the fight you'll find after the second round Ali is constantly on the ropes, covering up and allowing Foreman to punch himself out. As the fight goes on you can see him tiring more and more. Very effective strategy for Ali in combination with his skills.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
I was remembering the shocking power of Foreman, and wondering how Ali could even hold his arms up after receiving such a bombardment. Here is Foreman, many years later, still a force…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0SONoA5L1g

I think Ali never got the recognition he deserved for being able to take punishment because he was such a great offensive machine...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Read Angelo Dundee's book.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Or watch the award winning documentary, "When We Were Kings." It is the best exposition of "The Rumble in the Jungle" that I've ever seen.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
That was a good documentary.
– Karl Germain
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2013-12-06 12:09, mastermindreader wrote:
Or watch the award winning documentary, "When We Were Kings." It is the best exposition of "The Rumble in the Jungle" that I've ever seen.

That was an excellent documentary. Thanks for making mention of it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Ali/Foreman fight...rope a dope? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL