The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Revolutions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MrBiddle
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of MrBiddle
What do y'all think of the third in the Matrix franchise?

Here's a review I wrote the first time I saw it:

the sentinels attack zion and the soldiers fight them off with their ALIENS-esque robots. some amazing eye candy there. and neo, and trinity after facing the smith-possessed bane make their way to machine city to make some sort of negotiation. the score sucked, the slo mo was a little too overdone (i hate bullettime and slo mo!) but the action scenes were imaginative, as always. once again, the sentinel atack in zion was a real eye-popper! its stunning. as for my rant on the slo mo sequences, I guess they ONLY happen in the matrix! maybe the matrix server slows down once in awhile??? cause in the LIVE real world zion scenes, no slo mo took place. which is why the wack brothers use of slo mo technology is more justified than how john woo does it. this sequel ultimately, doesn't disappoint, however it has an open ending that will be picked up on by that new video game I keep hearing about. I appreciate the bros efforts in making this concluding chapter of the trilogy and this film is better paced than reloaded. some will hate the ending. some will think there is no other fitting way to end it as it did; such as myself. overall, worth the price of admission. and better than its first 2 installments. 8 out of 10. might just get the dvd to see the featurettes on how they made this one. and I'd love commentaries too.

I had to see it a second time, just for clarifications and to finally make up my mind about what I saw and here is my second review for imdb.com:

I saw it a second time awhile back, and I guess my FIRST review for THE MATRIX REVOLUTIONS didn't justify what I really felt. Once again, this film lacks good acting, and it is marred by overlyused slomo despite the fact that it is the Wachowskis trademark. The sentinel attack proved to be pure eye-candy. This isn't the best in the matrix trilogy though it is the MOST fun to think about. Reloaded is more rewatchable, IMHO. still, I give it 8 out of 10. Not a turkey, but a slight disappointment. I might write another review if I decided to give this another viewing. 8 out of 10.

Any thoughts? Reactions to my reviews? Smile
I would, however contest that there is in REALITY very little pportunity to perform what could actually be termed "close-up" magic.
- Guy Hollingworth
dreidy
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
156 Posts

Profile of dreidy
I think the movie suffers from the law of inverse Hugo Weavings. That is, the greater the number of Hugo Weavings, the less the quality of the movie.

Look at the movies containing just one Hugo Weaving: the first Matrix, Lord of the Rings, Priscilla Queen of the Desert, Proof - all really enjoyable top quality movies. Look at the ones with multiple Hugos, Matrix Reloaded and Matrix Revolutions, both really really bad.

I've met Mr Weaving a couple of times and have enjoyed his stage work in Sydney over the past twenty years, just recently in Tom Stoppard's "The Real Thing" he was brilliant. But please, just one of him in a movie is enough.

David.

PS. In Reloaded have you ever seen anyone do a sex scene with less emotion on their face than Keanu?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27226 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Thanks for the review to review. I found myself able to relate to it and had similar sentiments.

I found the films somewhat wanting of a programme or textbook. Were the names dropped for effect? or perhaps there is some sort of dialogue happening in background to this latest cycle of finding someONE, who seeks wholeness with a TRINITY and winds up sacrificed and perhaps assimilated. Likewise the questions about self determination as presented in the Hugo Weaving character are undermined and later diverted by an unmotivated conflict with the NEO character. Begging for begged questions? An attempt at meta-fiction? How about a fashion statement made in the form of an action film?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
I loved the first one, the second one grew on me, and the 3rd one was decent. you can tell by the box office numbers that most people agree with that
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Revolutions (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL