The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Is this racism? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I was pretty much teasing. It's been a long week, let me have this.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Okay. It's all yours. Smile
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
I won't go see it anyway. I just don't know why they do not do a remake of "The Cisco Kid" with all Chinese actors. Smile Also they should remake "Zorro" but he should wear a white outfit instead of black. Maybe they do these things to draw attention to them. Nah it can't be that. Smile Or make a movie of a Black Man elected President of the United States with a Muslim sounding name...Oh wait.

WHO CARES?
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-12-07 22:10, ed rhodes wrote:
"Mr. Big" in "Live And Let Die" was a black guy in the original book.

So, Ian Fleming's the real racist here.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
In this case, I'm going to agree. Ian Fleming had very little tolerance for anybody who didn't have the good sense to be born white, upper middle class and British! Sit down some day and read "Live and Let Die." It is cringe worthy for its portrayal of black people in general.

I'm not saying having a black bad guy is racist. I'm not saying having a white bad guy is racist.
I am suggesting that if you take an established storyline and change all the characters to black except the bad guys, that gets a raised eyebrow from me! I'm sorry if I can't make that clearer.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-12-09 23:19, ed rhodes wrote:
I am suggesting that if you take an established storyline and change all the characters [from white] to black except the bad guys, that gets a raised eyebrow from me!

I agree. A method actor might ask, "What's their motivation?"
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Quote:
On 2013-12-09 22:45, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-12-07 22:10, ed rhodes wrote:
"Mr. Big" in "Live And Let Die" was a black guy in the original book.

So, Ian Fleming's the real racist here.

Yes, he was rather racist, as a matter of fact.
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
If they were to remake the Lone Ranger, and cast a African American to play him, it wouldn't be racist, it would be more just racial ignorance.

Unfortuneately, many still see color differences and feel a need to exploit it when they can, for either financial or political gain. No one group is ammune to it.

If they ever casted a white actor to play Martin Luther King, it wouldn't be racist, but rather, racial ignorance, and I would never support it. But, that's just my opinion.
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
I am suggesting that if you take an established storyline and change all the characters to black except the bad guys, that gets a raised eyebrow from me! I'm sorry if I can't make that clearer.

You wrote earlier that you didn't know who was playing Miss Hannigan's brother and his girlfriend. How do you know they are white? (Because if they are it raises an interesting question as to how they pose as Annie's real father and mother. Could be quite funny, actually.)
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Um... I just clicked on the first link Ed provided and Cameron Diaz is far from the only non-black person in the cast.
Here it is again: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1823664/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2
And here's the full cast list: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1823664/full......_sm#cast
David Zayas from Dexter is in it Smile

When about a fifth of the cast being black is considered "everyone but the bad guy" that tends to raise my eyebrow. That's a lot of bad guys. What chance does little Annie have against those odds?
~Will Rogers
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-12-09 23:50, Danny Kazam wrote:
If they were to remake the Lone Ranger, and cast a African American to play him . . . .

Or James West.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Thanks for posting that, critter. I did a little research and found that Tracie Thoms and Dorian Missick play the parts of Annie's "fake parents", based on the characters Lily St. Regis and Rooster Hannigan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annie_%282014_film%29

Both of them are black.

So much for the premise of this thread.
longhaired1
View Profile
Veteran user
Salida
316 Posts

Profile of longhaired1
Quote:
On 2013-12-07 06:43, ed rhodes wrote:
They're remaking "Annie."

And, they're using a (mostly) black cast.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1823664/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

What bothers me is not that they've decided to go with a black cast, but that "Miss Hannigan" will be played by Cameron Diaz!

Am I wrong for wondering why, if they're reversing the casting colors, they didn't get a black person to be the bad guy?

Having now followed the IMDB link, the premise of this discussion is completely flawed. The production hasn't gone with "a black cast" or even a "mostly black cast".

That kind of makes the whole discussion a bit of a moot point in my opinion.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2013-12-10 00:37, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-12-09 23:50, Danny Kazam wrote:
If they were to remake the Lone Ranger, and cast a African American to play him . . . .

Or James West.

The disgraced Spokane Mayor?
~Will Rogers
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2013-12-09 23:58, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:

You wrote earlier that you didn't know who was playing Miss Hannigan's brother and his girlfriend. How do you know they are white? (Because if they are it raises an interesting question as to how they pose as Annie's real father and mother. Could be quite funny, actually.)

That's a very, very good point. Again, as they've changed the names, I can't tell who in the cast is going to be playing Hannigan's brother or his girlfriend.

Looking at imdb, it appears it's going to be released in competition with Stephen Sonheim's "Into The Woods." That's another adaptation I'm going to have issues with, although in that case I'm more annoyed with how they've meddled with the source material. For one thing, they've changed Cinderella's Prince and the Wolf to be played by two different actors. IMHO, the fact that the Prince was played by the same actor as played the Wolf kind of emphasized the Prince's later sleaziness. The Narrator is gone as is the Mysterious Man which means the whole sub-text of who the man turns out to be is gone. One of my favorite songs is the duet between the Baker and the (ghost?) of the Mysterious Man, which will probably have to be cut.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Ed-

See my last post in which I provided a link that says exactly who is playing Hannigan's brother and his girlfriend. They are both black actors, so this whole discussion really has been pointless.

Why not wait until movies are actually finished, released, and you've seen them, before getting too worked up? Smile
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I stand corrected on most of my points. And, I didn't really get "worked up," I just asked a question. It would be a sad world if we weren't allowed to ask questions.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Ed-

I agree. That's why I put the "eek face" smiley at the end of my last post.
longhaired1
View Profile
Veteran user
Salida
316 Posts

Profile of longhaired1
Quote:
On 2013-12-10 11:52, ed rhodes wrote:
I just asked a question. It would be a sad world if we weren't allowed to ask questions.

I agree and would like to ask a question. Why did you say, or come to believe, that it was an all black or mostly black cast?
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I am a product of my times, I was thinking along the lines of Pearl Bailey's "Hello Dolly" and Eartha Kitt's "Timbuktu."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Is this racism? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL