The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Today is Pearl Harbor Day (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1763 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
December 7th, 1941: "A day which will live in infamy."

Today is a day for solemn reflection and sincere gratitude to all those who sacrificed so much in WW2.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
+1

We can never forget or sufficiently thank those who gave so much for their country.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16365 Posts

Profile of tommy
WW2 is generally considered to have started in 1939 but it seems to me it truly became a "world" war on this date.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
A day to reflect and to give thanks for those that gave the ultimate sacrifice.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16365 Posts

Profile of tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
Thanks Tommy. That was very interesting.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2013-12-07 14:34, tommy wrote:
WW2 is generally considered to have started in 1939 but it seems to me it truly became a "world" war on this date.

Don't quite follow you here, Tommy. In 1939, you had Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Newfoundland, Rhodesia, the Falklands, Belize, Guyana, Jamaica, India, Kuwait and Palestine send troops to support Great Britain. And it became a world war when American joined 3 years later? Really?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16365 Posts

Profile of tommy
It brought America, Japan, China and so on into it didn't it?

It is not a matter of of many countries so much as how much power is unleashed. Ie Englands V Scotland would be no big thing conpaired to the USA v China.

Tommy
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Japan invaded Indochina in 1941, and took Hong Kong shortly thereafter.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16365 Posts

Profile of tommy
Well we are talking about 1941. What is your point?

WW2 is generally considered to have started in 1939 but it seems to me it truly became a "world" war on this date: December 7th, 1941: "A day which will live in infamy."
This is the day the great power of USA was unlesheashed and the day Japan Japan unlesheashed it great power all over the place, its what got China into it from what I recall. In any event we can't have world war without the USA that would just be silly.
Who would make the movies about it?

Tommy
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

I'm questioning you notion of when the war became a "world war" as I think it diminishes the contributions of allies who traveled great distances to defend Britain and Europe right from 1939.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16365 Posts

Profile of tommy
I don't think so. It just seems to me, that is truly the point when we were all in it, more or less.

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5156 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2013-12-07 23:51, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-12-07 14:34, tommy wrote:

Don't quite follow you here, Tommy. In 1939, you had Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Newfoundland, Rhodesia, the Falklands, Belize, Guyana, Jamaica, India, Kuwait and Palestine send troops to support Great Britain. And it became a world war when American joined 3 years later? Really?

'Tain't a party 'til Canada shows up!
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Quote:
On 2013-12-08 01:03, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
I'm questioning you notion of when the war became a "world war" as I think it diminishes the contributions of allies who traveled great distances to defend Britain and Europe right from 1939.

If the Japanese did not use a sneak(not the pc surprise attack that is used today) on the the US, the World War may have ended a lot sooner for Europe in capitulation.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16365 Posts

Profile of tommy
In 1931 Japan occupied Manchuria in northern China. Over the decade conflict intensified and in July 1937 war was declared. Sorry, I was thinking above it was 1941 that war started.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Today is Pearl Harbor Day (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL