The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Cut and Restored Rope for Today's Audiences (32 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1048 Posts

Profile of imgic
Countrymaven gives great advice...learn routine from the greats, but be creative, combine with other routines, blend with your personality, and the go try it out, and revise. Soon you’ll have a routine unique to you, and will be entertaining.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8171 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Thanks for the compliment Countrymaven. Re, the point about the Effect is more important than the METHOD. I've been "preaching" that for eons. I'm glad that one more has understood it.

Now about PAVEL. He had a good inventive mind, BUT, he never had an ACT! I saw him on the Ed Sullivan Show EONS ago. He had five boxes, each had a letter of his name. He walked from box to box, pulled out a prop, and performed a trick with it. I have a fairly good memory, but, I can't remember if he even did a ROPE TRICK!

A few years later, he was booked at Abbott's. Karrell Fox was MC. We were discussing the evening show. We both roomed at Jerry Conklin's. He said, "Pavel is on the bill, and, I have a problem. Where do I put him? He has no act!"

We talked some more about the need for the show to "build". Then Karrell's face "lit up". He said, "I'll put him between two strong acts, and, HOPE that he doesn't slow the show down." (It's OK to STOP THE SH0W! but, DON'T SLOW IT DOWN!!!)

Fortunately, Karrell's plan worked. He had uncanny 'show sense"!!!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
countrymaven
View Profile
Special user
805 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Wow Dick, Merry Christmas, yes I am finally learning the presentation can make a simple effect a miracle.
Fascinating to hear about Pavel. The same is true of some of the greats in magic. Some of the most creative
magicians are not good at or can hardly make a living performing. They are gifted and compelled to create.

So it seems maybe Pavel did not know perhaps his great strength was his rope inventions?

Thanks Imgic, for example, I plan on a cut and restored rope, conventional, then using a gimmicked rope a la Pavel, then a clean rope switch.
Also thining of doing something like Mac King does with many pieces but trying to do it more openly ....
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1048 Posts

Profile of imgic
CountryMaven, would love to see your routine someday, sounds great.

I love Mac King’s routine, along with Pop Haydn’s Mongolian Pop Kmot routine, there are a lot of great entertaining. C&R ropes routines...even for today’s audience
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Nem
View Profile
New user
Florida
58 Posts

Profile of Nem
I still get a lot of mileage out of the classic sliding knot.
thomasR
View Profile
Special user
721 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Pop Haydn's is fantastic if you want to be on stage solo (which I do). But if you are looking for a cut and restored rope trick with an assistant on stage in a "do as I do" type of setting, check out Mac King's cut and restored rope routine. He teaches it on his penguin lecture.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Cut and Restored Rope for Today's Audiences (32 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL