The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Canada Post big changes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
Canadians: With a 22 cent increase (minimum)(63 cents to 85 cents each) in letter mail stamps, how many "permanent" stamps are you going to invest in before March 31st? Might be worth while to drop some big dollars by investing in stamps for the future. That is if you have the extra cash.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7444 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Thanks for the heads up, Scott.

More here: https://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/aboutus......plan.jsf

It also says that if you buy your stamps individually at a post office, instead of booklets or coils, then the price will be $1.00 for postage for a letter 0-30 grams (instead of the new 85 cents).

In the fall, I bought 500 "P" stamps (Superman), but went through them in a month. I also sent off another 500+ letters that were at a higher rate (heavier than 30 grams).

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
I've noticed in recent years that postal charges for shipping packages to Canada has increased dramatically.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
Quote:
On 2013-12-11 15:26, arthur stead wrote:
I've noticed in recent years that postal charges for shipping packages to Canada has increased dramatically.

That's true. The US Postal Service has been going through it's own changes (re-organization, price increases, etc) for the same reason as Canada Post (declining mail).
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3641 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
And what surpises my American direct mail friends is that here in the Canadian province of Quebec, our sales tax on stamps is 15% (as with my shows)

Blair
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1134 Posts

Profile of Eldon
Buy as many as you can and after the increase sell them on Ebay for 75 cents each.
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
No doubt they thought of that Eldon. I'm hearing reports of retail locations pulling their stamps based upon the instructions of Canada Post. They are hoping to not allow people to stock pile. Go buy sooner than later IMO before they put up limits or some other measure.
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
To clarify: Canada Post has (or is in the process of...) pulling all of their "P" stamps and will only sell "$0.63 Denomination" effective now. Note that Canadapost.com is ONLY selling "$0.63 Denomination" stamps. I know that at least a few specific locations I checked were instructed to stop selling "P" stamps. Just a head's up.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7444 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Back in the fall, when the "Superman" stamps came out, I had heard that they were the last of the "P" stamps. However, they did come out with some "Gingerbread Man Cookie" stamps in November that were also "P".

- Donald
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Focus this much energy and thought on your business and you wouldn't be worried about a few cents that only add up to a few hundred a year.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3641 Posts

Curtis,

For each mailing of 1000 my cost has now gone up $250.00 (the increase plus the taxes on that increase), just on the postage, and trust me the other small businesses I deal with will incorporate these additional costs into their services.

I do agree, it is worrying "about a few cents", but as Grandma used to say those cents add up. I'd rather have the $1200.00 - $2000.00 extra it's going to cost me per year in my bank account. Oh, and if you buy a single stamp at the post office, that same .85 cent stamp is going to cost you $1.00.

Blair
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
I don't do much mailing myself but saving a few hundred or a thousand bucks for buying now rather than next week is a nice bonus for no effort (since I'm at the store anyway). Just wanted to give the heads up. That is all.
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1010 Posts

Profile of John Martin
I predict a run on the local Bureau en Gros(Staples) and Costco's (Sam's Club) in the Dorval area, followed by a triumphant Facebook image of the recent acquisitions. LOL

John
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3641 Posts

Hmmmm...Thanks for the head's up, I'm sure others reading this thread will appreciate knowing that they carry them. I was not aware that Costco or Staples sold the "P" stamps, guess I better look harder and make a trip up to ours, although I have never purchased even reguler stamps at either one of them.

Blair

P.S. Photo to come....if successful!
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
$59.99 per roll from Costco. I know because I bought a good number this morning. This confirmed they have to go to the .63 listed stamps once their supply is out. As mentioned, the retail Canada Post outlets seem to be instructed to no longer sell the P stamps immediately.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7444 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Also, to those who don't get it, you want to stock up on "P" stamps, if you can (with the intention of using them after the rate increase, which is 3-1/2 months away). Stocking up on 63 cent stamps does not save you money.* Smile

* Unless you buy them from Costco, but you always save money off the retail price by purchasing a roll of stamps there. As Scott said, $59.99 instead of $63.00, plus tax.

- Donald
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
To be clear, Costco had the "p" stamps which I purchased but supply is gone once they've sold their current supply. And, yes, the ideas is to buy now so you can use them throughout 2014 after the price increase and beyond. The more you can get ahold of now the more you will save in the long run (if you plan on doing direct mailings).
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Save 2. in stamps spent $15 in fuel... lol
I hope you at least got toilet paper while at costco! lol
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7444 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
If you buy a roll of "P" stamps from Costco now, and use them after the price increase, then you save $25 on a roll of 100. $59.99 vs. $85.00 (plus tax). And that's if you only buy a single roll. Buy 5 rolls... save $125.

And yes, it does help if you were planning to go to Costco already.

- Donald
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
More like "save $1000 in stamps and spent $5 in fuel" (note on gas: distances between places in Winnipeg are very different than L.A.) all while buying my toilet paper (yes, I use TP) and some food (leaving for a 3.5 week Arizona vacation next week). Heck, Costco is right beside Toys R Us where we finished our Christmas shopping. I understand that you feel I'm penny pinching. In my world, I can take my family on a nice summer vacation with the money I saved. Worth the few minutes out of my way (which really isn't out of my way - nor any increase in gas spent). Regardless, I'm just sharing to help those who see the value in the head's up.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Canada Post big changes (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL