The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Canada Post big changes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
Oh, I see Donald how Curtis got the $2 (well $3 with the right math). Perhaps the USA do not have "permanent" stamps and he doesn't see that the price difference (savings) increases dramatically in 3 months.
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
It never hurts to save...good job guys!

I heard about one guy, I'm not if he's still doing it, but he bought tons and tons of forever stamps way back when. Anyway, he makes a full-time living selling them on Ebay now, grossing over $200,000/year!

I guess it's fairly common for people to "invest" in stamps when they know a price increase is coming.

- Kevin
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
Quote:
On 2013-12-12 15:17, dearwiseone wrote:
It never hurts to save...good job guys!

I heard about one guy, I'm not if he's still doing it, but he bought tons and tons of forever stamps way back when. Anyway, he makes a full-time living selling them on Ebay now, grossing over $200,000/year!

I guess it's fairly common for people to "invest" in stamps when they know a price increase is coming.

- Kevin

Yes, I think this is why they Canada Post is working to pull all of the permanent (forever) stamps off the market right away to prevent hoarding and perhaps some future re-selling of stamps. Usually price increases are only about 2 cents but this is the biggest change ever.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Here's info about how the prices were supposed to change from 2009-2014:

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/aboutus/......plan.jsf

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Jesse Lewis
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of Jesse Lewis
Gentlemen if you are doing postcard mailings look at addressed admail through canada post generally 20 cents cheaper than regular stamps I just sent 1600 cards for 708 dollars that is a savings of a few hundred dollars. Sure there are some rules to figure out and you have to be pretty specific on your cards but I have not seen a response drop or any effect other than being able to send more for the same price.

Jesse
Learn how to build a bigger business at www.showbizsuccesssecrets.com
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Thanks for the post Jesse, I was not aware of that. It will be interesting to see whether those rates go up significantley as well come March. But I will be looking into it.

I do know our post card rates were higher than the U.S. and an over size post card sent by itself was a lot higher, but put that same card in an envelope with a couple of other pages and it went out at the reguler letter rate.

Blair
Bazinga
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Bazinga
Yes, they have "Forever" stamps in the U.S. But it is a scam. You can only use them once.

Bazinga!
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Smile

B
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
I rather invest 2k in investments that increase value at least 6 to 15% a year and pays 3.5 quarterly and a few times double in value in 6 months or less. lol

But enjoy licking your stamps. LOL
Jesse Lewis
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of Jesse Lewis
Curtis last checked return on my cards was over 780% ROI that is a good investment.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I bought 10 rolls of "P" stamps (each roll has 100) yesterday.

The odd thing about buying them with the intention of not using them until after April 1st, 2014, is that I still need to buy more stamps for my other mailings between now and the end of March (that might be another 1000 or so pieces).

Another thing is that I don't usually buy my stamps at Costco, because I don't like that they sell plain-looking stamps... I prefer fancier stamps.

- Donald

P.S. Our stamps are adhesive backed, so no licking. Smile
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Quote:
On 2013-12-13 00:27, Jesse Lewis wrote:
Curtis last checked return on my cards was over 780% ROI that is a good investment.

That awesome, now image the return if you just kept doing them and not spending 5 hours to save 2 cents. lol
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Now THAT was a good point Curtis, well taken.

B

(But actually it does not take 5 hours to save the $1000, see Scott's post above.)
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Way too much thought into this.... lol
Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
I purchased enough to last me through 2014. 10 minutes saved me around $1,000. If you have the money on hand it is a much better return then any interest you will be getting in the bank.
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
Curtis just doesn't get it. Although I'm sure he thinks he does.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I've stocked up on items before: Creative Magic props, magician's rope, hat tears, mouth coils, animal balloons, wood disks for personalized magic tricks, wands and magic tricks for magic kits and BOR sales, toner, ink, brochures, business cards, novelty million dollar bills, stamps, etc.

The only thing different in this case, is that we are waiting a bit before using these "special" stamps.

- Donald
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Quote:
On 2013-12-14 15:19, Eldon wrote:

I do get it...

But you are missing my point, the return on the money (stamp wise not the jobs) is very little, while you can have a greater return in investments with the $2k-5k you are spending. If you spent 5k in twitter stock at opening day it would be about $12k....

Yes, of course by a few rolls of stamps before they go up in price, who wouldn't if they are at the post office and knowing it will go up and you have lots of mailings.

My point is.... don't sweat the small stuff too much.
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
Quote:
On 2013-12-15 11:30, magicofCurtis wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-12-14 15:19, Eldon wrote:

I do get it...

But you are missing my point, the return on the money (stamp wise not the jobs) is very little, while you can have a greater return in investments with the $2k-5k you are spending. If you spent 5k in twitter stock at opening day it would be about $12k....

Yes, of course by a few rolls of stamps before they go up in price, who wouldn't if they are at the post office and knowing it will go up and you have lots of mailings.

My point is.... don't sweat the small stuff too much.

Good point. Now I get it.
Jesse Lewis
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of Jesse Lewis
Fair enough curtis. Initially I thought you were saying that mailings in general were a bad investment. For me it is not a matter of saving a few cents but about $4000 over the course of the year which is well worth my time. By the way my mailing does not cost me in time as everything is printed and stamped in mass quantity by a pro-printer. No time investment except picking up the phone and saying send em out. 3-6 days later the calls start coming.

Jesse
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Canada Post big changes (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL