We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Streaking, dry texture on copper cups (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1079 Posts

Profile of BCS
Christopher... Try this before you descide to clean them; give them a coat or two of wax. They will remain brown, but have a shine to them.

I purchased a used set of Riser Standard Cups that had a ugly dull patina... Once waxed they looked pretty good.

Good luck,
Bruce
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
782 Posts

Profile of Christopher Moro
Hi Bruce! What do you use? Carnuba Wax without a "cleaner" in it? I may try it, although I've always thought I'd do that once the patina gets to a color I like and I want to "freeze" it there. The streaks I have now, while not as apparent in the photos are such a different shade of brown (almost orange) I think it'll "lock it in" that way.
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1079 Posts

Profile of BCS
Hey Christopher,

Yes to the curnuba wax... It can be cleaned off if you don't like it easily. I guess you never know how Cups will turn... To many variables to the copper make up maybe? Of all the Cups I have seen it is rare that they all patina the same.

Take care,
Bruce
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
I fight copper oxidization every day. I wrap polished and satin finished copper in plastic bags, and double bag them, to keep air (oxygen) out. It's the only way I can KEEP copper looking new for an extended period of time.

Blemishes in copper patina are very common. They are caused by impurities on the surface of the copper. An impurity could be anything from water spots to fingerprints. Once the patina starts to form, the blemish is set in; basically the blemishes are oxidizing differently than the rest of the raw copper surface. Acidic fingerprints famously begin to appear darker than the rest of the patina. The light spots are indicating that something on the surface is slowing down oxidization on those spots.

I've seen streaking caused by placing the clean raw copper cups into plastic bags, but not sealing the mouth of the bag. I used to just push the mouth of the bag up into the cup and place it mouth down when storing. I found that air gets up under the bottom of the cup and into the plastic bag and begins to oxidize the copper. But areas of the cup that were in "contact" with the plastic didn't oxidize the same, thus the patina looked streaked.
Some material that come in contact with the raw copper surface can cause similar results. Some leathers are notorious for this, and even paper. In fact, the first picture you posted of the streaking looks like it was formed by being wrapped in something like paper.

The only sure-fix for this is to mirror polish the copper on high speed buffing wheels, completely remove the existing patina, ensure the new surface is entirely free from impurities and begin patinization again. You can speed up the new patina by baking the cups in your kitchen oven (no magnets!). The heating of the cups will also reveal any new blemishes that will cause irregularities in the patina.
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1079 Posts

Profile of BCS
Thanks Donnie for the information... I found it a very ingesting read.

Bruce
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
782 Posts

Wow! Donnie, that was a wealth of information. Thank you so much! And the causes you mentioned sound very likely the cause (my cups came wrapped in paper). I guess I am now considering two main options: 1.) Use a chemical thinner or 2.) Have a professional re-polish to a mirror finish on a buffing wheel.
GS121002
View Profile
Veteran user
but he still can't help build a border wall with only
312 Posts

Profile of GS121002
Just my humble opinion but I like the old weathered look of them......
Gary Salisbury
San Diego, CA

It's a fact! - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
(This line censored by Dave Scribner because it is in Latin) - What you believe is real, is real!
Who was that masked man and what is he all about? - https://www.pinterest.com/garydsalisbury/
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Have you tried the salt and vinegar method for stripping it back? Dissolve a couple of spoonfulls of salt into a cup of vinegar and use it to strip the patina back. Then wash with dish detergent and rinse. Then clean with surgical spirits and start the patina process again.
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
782 Posts

I've done all of that except for using spirits. I wonder if that would make a big difference?
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
The spirits will make sure that there are no streaks or fingerprints etc and therefore start a clean, even patina, however it sounds like you've done pretty much everything possible so I'm not sure it would make a difference.

For what it's worth, I think they look okay. They have a great patina.
migwar
View Profile
Elite user
west yorkshire, UK
457 Posts

Profile of migwar
Could it be a flaw in the metal itself?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Streaking, dry texture on copper cups (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL