The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Should I get in to Dove magic or..? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5081 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Regan, that's a good question. I never kept mine in the same cage but never had a problem with them being together in a show.
Where the magic begins
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thank you Dave. If I can find some I will probably five then a try.
Mister Mystery
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5081 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
You might want to contact Dynamike here on the Café. I'm almost certain he uses silkies as well as normal doves and he might be able to answer your qeustion better than me.
Where the magic begins
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thank you Dave. That might be a good place to start because I have no idea where to find them. Doves are difficult to find in this area, and I have never heard of any silkies for sale. I really have no idea where to get them. I am thinking they may be hard to come by.
Mister Mystery
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
We raise the silkies, they are housed together with the regular Java. If you just breed silkie to silkie,you will get a big time silkie which looks really bad and they grow at a much slower rate. not as Hardy whenit comes to health.... feathers going everywhere and really frayed out. This has been our experience, we have paired up a regular white java with a silkie mate. comes out with 2 eggs of course...... one will hatch out as a java the other will be silkie with a touch of flight, which means they can slow down their rate of decent if they do decide to drop to the floor from your hands. Maybe fly out to four foot or so, then work its way down to the floor at a slow pace. looks normal if decide to fly away if startled. They are very docile and look great because you don't have to trim down the feathers,,,, Break a leg Regan...
Scarlett_Fox
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Scarlett_Fox
Hi All, a quick question.... when training your doves for magic is it advisable to keep them in the same cage? I have a male and female pair.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5081 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
As long as they don't fight each other, there's no reason not to keep them together. A male and female pair will mate and then you'll have to watch for babies.
Where the magic begins
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2486 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Dave I am reading this old thread again and have to ask.
All the years that I have had doves I have kept them all in the same cage. No issues.

However I do try to only use females but some times the bird farm I get them from don't know if they are females.

Any who I know I have a few males and some females. The question to you is that in all the years and all the eggs laid. Never once did they hatch. Nothing. Nara zip zero.

Any advice. I think it would be cool to raise a few and neat experience to share with my daughter. She works with doves as well in her routine


And to throw my advice out there about doing dove magic. I agree with most that has been said. The biggest 2 questions are
How often will you be able to use the dove in the show. Meaning the venues you play. Out doors is not the best place for dove workers.

And two where will you keep them and transport them

I hate when I see magicians walk in carrying a pet carrier with either their doves or the bunny. Then wonder why no one is surprised they just produced one.

I have a special cage built into a duffle bag so at I can travel with the doves any where and no one knows I have them


As for how to produce them. Body loads while awesome and mostly done that way my current act produces 3 doves and none are body loads.
There are options out there.

Enjoy have fun and welcome to the world of doves.

Oh one last thing. Feeding them- I don't use bird seeds I use racing pigeon pellets. Less of a mess and the doves don't pic through it as it's all the same thing. It's cheaper then bird seed and has all the nutrients they need too.

Sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On Apr 5, 2014, tropicalillusions wrote:
We raise the silkies, they are housed together with the regular Java. If you just breed silkie to silkie,you will get a big time silkie which looks really bad and they grow at a much slower rate. not as Hardy whenit comes to health.... feathers going everywhere and really frayed out. This has been our experience, we have paired up a regular white java with a silkie mate. comes out with 2 eggs of course...... one will hatch out as a java the other will be silkie with a touch of flight, which means they can slow down their rate of decent if they do decide to drop to the floor from your hands. Maybe fly out to four foot or so, then work its way down to the floor at a slow pace. looks normal if decide to fly away if startled. They are very docile and look great because you don't have to trim down the feathers,,,, Break a leg Regan...


Thanks. I sure I was closer to you! LOL I want a Silkie!
Mister Mystery
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2014, Sam Sandler wrote:
Dave I am reading this old thread again and have to ask.
All the years that I have had doves I have kept them all in the same cage. No issues.

However I do try to only use females but some times the bird farm I get them from don't know if they are females.

Any who I know I have a few males and some females. The question to you is that in all the years and all the eggs laid. Never once did they hatch. Nothing. Nara zip zero.

Any advice. I think it would be cool to raise a few and neat experience to share with my daughter. She works with doves as well in her routine


And to throw my advice out there about doing dove magic. I agree with most that has been said. The biggest 2 questions are
How often will you be able to use the dove in the show. Meaning the venues you play. Out doors is not the best place for dove workers.

And two where will you keep them and transport them

I hate when I see magicians walk in carrying a pet carrier with either their doves or the bunny. Then wonder why no one is surprised they just produced one.

I have a special cage built into a duffle bag so at I can travel with the doves any where and no one knows I have them


As for how to produce them. Body loads while awesome and mostly done that way my current act produces 3 doves and none are body loads.
There are options out there.

Enjoy have fun and welcome to the world of doves.

Oh one last thing. Feeding them- I don't use bird seeds I use racing pigeon pellets. Less of a mess and the doves don't pic through it as it's all the same thing. It's cheaper then bird seed and has all the nutrients they need too.

Sam


Sam,

I don't know how many doves you have or how large your cage is, but that is probably 2 key factors. As long as the cage is large enough for the number of birds you have they will get along fine. Another factor is the number of males. Multiple males may fight when put together. Since you say your doves are laying eggs that never hatch it could be that you do not have a male. That happened to me. I first bought my doves and decided to train the 2 younger ones for my shows, and I put the other 2 together in hopes they were male/female so I could raise some babies. I set up a nesting box and they began laying 2 eggs really soon. From what I had read and been told these 2 birds acted just like a set of parents. They would take turns sitting on the eggs but the eggs never hatched. I would finally get rid of the eggs and before long they would lay 2 more, but the same result. This went on for a long, long time. Finally I looked in the nest one morning and there were 4 eggs. It was the first time each bird had laid eggs near the same time. At that point I realized they were both female. Anyway, I got a male and put him in the cage with them. He picked a mate and they actually hatched a beautiful baby dove. It was in the winter though, and they kicked it out of the nest too soon. I tried everything I knew but sadly the little bird died. That was several years ago and they have not hatched another baby since! I don't know why. I was really hoping to raise a few babies but I have about given up...with these doves anyway.

I just thought I would tell you my experience. Since your doves are not fighting or hatching any eggs it could be that you are in a similar situation as I was.
Mister Mystery
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2486 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Thx regan

No that is not the case. I have several males and some females.
My coup is plenty big

Sorry ur little bird didn't survive. Ireallywouldlike to have a few hatch and raisethemwith
My daughter.

Thx
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5081 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2014, Sam Sandler wrote:
Dave I am reading this old thread again and have to ask.
All the years that I have had doves I have kept them all in the same cage. No issues.

However I do try to only use females but some times the bird farm I get them from don't know if they are females.

Any who I know I have a few males and some females. The question to you is that in all the years and all the eggs laid. Never once did they hatch. Nothing. Nara zip zero.

Any advice. I think it would be cool to raise a few and neat experience to share with my daughter. She works with doves as well in her routine




Helo Sam, I'm sorry I missed your question. Raising doves isn't an exact science and there is no guarantee that eggs laid will hatch. One problem could be that you really aren't mating a male and female. Females will lay eggs even if there is no male present. A single female can lay two eggs at a time while a pair of females could lay 4. They will not of course hatch.

Another reason could be that the female can't produce viable eggs. The only positive way of determining either of these situations is to have them examined by a vet.
Where the magic begins
Greg755
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Greg755
When I was young I worked with doves for about 12 years. I was lucky because my father had several coops for his homing/racing pigeons. In addition he had vast knowledge on the care of birds. Find a pigeon racing club and ask a guy to teach you about birds in exchange for you helping clean and maintain his coop. To answer your question about how hard it is to learn dove magic, it is easier than learning complicated coin or card sleights. But then again it takes a lot if time to get to the point where your presentation is graceful. Birds such as owls hawks eagles etc not only require permits but they pose a real danger to yourself and your audience, in addition they require a lot more care. Some parrots and cockatoo's are good, but everything has to be custom made for them and they can also cause serious injuries to things like fingers... I stared with four birds and grew from there, a "one bird" dove act does not go very far Smile
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I've been following this thresd from the beginning. (Although, I haven't used birds since '95.)

I started with 3 doves from the late Jack Larkin, in '69. Since I planned to use them in my school show, I was not particularly interesred in body loads and a Channing Pollock style routine. I bought a "Neil Foster" harness, a "Kardyro Bag" and an Abbott Pandora Casket.

After the first season, I dropped the Casket routine. The other two bird productions, plus lots of comedy bits and schtick, developed into an 8 minute routine! (almost 20% of a 45 minute show! I learned that the "kids" (from Kindergarten THROUGH SENIOR HIGH (!) although they liked the productions were more fascinated and entertained by the comedy bits.

I'm writing up the bird routine in the book, so that young guys starting out will realize that there's more to working with doves than just productions and the vanishing cage to close!

I could "set" the dove routine in less than a minute!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7376 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
But you used such a complicated set up Dick...........Smile not!!!

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Should I get in to Dove magic or..? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL